Help!

3 posters

Go down

Help! Empty Help!

Post by spike08 Sat Oct 23 2010, 09:16

Hi all,

Please can you help? My staffy is 2 years old and we moved house 6 months ago he was un-settled at first but as the months went on he seemed to settle down fine. Me and my partner both work so he's use to being on his own untill a month ago his starting clawing the door frames upstairs and has taken big chunks of wood out my bedroom door frame, I took my partner to work this morning i was only gone 10 minutes and he's been digging my landing carpet up outside my bedroom.We always have our bedroom door close even when he was a puppy he knows that's our room. I love him so much but don't no what to do anymore with him, he has toys to play with and bones to chew he has a Kong aswel. Any ideas would be great guys please help i'm at my wits ~angry end xx
spike08
spike08
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : spike
Dog(s) Ages : 7
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Help! Empty Re: Help!

Post by Guest Sat Oct 23 2010, 09:48

Hi & Help! Welcome

Welcome to the staffodshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Help! Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Help! Icon_arrow Here are a list of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Help! Icon_arrow You can ask for help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Help! Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
Help! Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 23 2010, 09:51

the only thing i could suggest you could try is to make sure he has been well exercised before you leave him so he has not got so much energy becouse a hyper dog is a mischevious dog thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 23 2010, 10:22

Yes, a really long walk with some ball-chasing or something before you leave.

Where do you leave him? Does he have the run of the place?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 23 2010, 10:46

Hi and welcome wave

When I first got Blue he would have seperation anxiety (and to be honest me too lol) when I left even though my Mrs was still at home. To help this and it worked straight away was to wear an old jumper you don't mind the dog chewing t get your scent on it and leaving it with the dog when you go out. The Mrs said as soon as I used to go out he would run back to my jumper and cuddle it lol. Before he would jump up at the front door and bang it with his head.....thats with someone else in the house.

Back to top Go down

Post by spike08 Sat Oct 23 2010, 14:01

Hi all,
Thanks for your suggestions they have been a massive help,Do you think castration would help the situation aswel? He is very hyper more so when people come to visit and also when he goes for a run on the park ,He will just run and jump up on anyone.When we are at work he has the run of the whole house.
Thanks guys
Smile
spike08
spike08

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : spike
Dog(s) Ages : 7
Dog Gender(s) : male

Back to top Go down

Post by niff Sat Oct 23 2010, 14:06

onld dogs new tricks etc but id get him a crate for when your out if the chewings started , in all honesty there could be dozens of reasons for it , could be the move , bitch in season close by , high testosterone levels , wich castration may or may not help , id box for the crate m8
niff
niff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Shady & Dakota
Dog Gender(s) : male and female
Support total : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 23 2010, 16:59

I think niff's suggestion of a crate is best....I have just had my dog castrated but I wouldn't have if he was chewing when I was out. It sounds more like a seperation thing, not a testosterone thing.
You need to work out what is different from before.....or more to the point what triggers it
As for jumping up on people that is just normaly due to being over excited rather than aggressive through high levels of testosterone.

Back to top Go down

Post by Toddyjo Sun Oct 24 2010, 17:35

My dog is very giddy and over excitable, we have to restrict him to only certain areas if we're out but I was told at pup training to crate him if he was destructive. He was castrated when he was younger but to be honest it made no difference at all to his giddyness. When he sees people he is soooo excitable and every time we take him out of the house its like the first time hes been out!
Toddyjo
Toddyjo
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Buster
Dog Gender(s) : Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 24 2010, 19:37

It may help to make him sit for a few seconds after you've told him "down" or "get down". This will help to calm him a little.

Also, try to remain very calm yourself because your calmness will rub off on him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum