Is it too much?

Go down

Is it too much? Empty Is it too much?

Post by Guest Mon Aug 08 2011, 22:39

This may sound really stupid (because getting out and about is everything to dogs, exercise is key right) but is ten miles walk/run/fetch ball, plus an hour of boisterous play down the allotments too much?
ever since i have started doing the walk up my parents all my lot do is sleep when ever they get the chance, sit down on the bench half way up or down the line they will lay down and catch a nap, when ever they are indoors their asleep before i tell them to settle down.
When i get home in the night around about half nine to ten their asleep until i wake up in the morning sometimes until i wake them up.
I leave at noon every day.
for the first few days i was expecting the achs from the dogs because they are not used to it especially Blondy but she is still a little active more so than the adults.
The last few days Taz seems to be really rigid and stiff, he never used to turn down the tennis ball when thrown but lately he runs after it with a little less enthusiasm.
Am i pushing them too much?
I'v been doing it for a month now, i would of thought they'd be used to it by now.

Back to top Go down

Is it too much? Empty Re: Is it too much?

Post by Guest Mon Aug 08 2011, 22:45

Maybe the pups are still a bit young for that much. I'd cut down on the running & ball fetching & just let them play together at the allotment. Ten miles is a lot for a pup, although they'll cope well enough as long as they're given time to rest. Do you have to do it every day, or could you give them a rest for a couple of days each week?

Do you give them anything for their joints? Cod or Salmon oil for example?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 08 2011, 22:55

Caryll wrote:Maybe the pups are still a bit young for that much. I'd cut down on the running & ball fetching & just let them play together at the allotment. Ten miles is a lot for a pup, although they'll cope well enough as long as they're given time to rest. Do you have to do it every day, or could you give them a rest for a couple of days each week?

Do you give them anything for their joints? Cod or Salmon oil for example?

Taz and Cassie are nearly two years old now, While walking up the line their off lead exploring, running about playing fight, chasing each other etc and darting off into the dams and into the nettles and up the mountain side, so i use the tennis ball to keep them in sight really.
I thought Blondy only being ten months would be having trouble more so than the adults but its quite the oposite.
No i'v never felt i'v needed to suppliment.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 08 2011, 23:02

MissRogue wrote:Taz and Cassie are nearly two years old now, While walking up the line their off lead exploring, running about playing fight, chasing each other etc and darting off into the dams and into the nettles and up the mountain side, so i use the tennis ball to keep them in sight really.
I thought Blondy only being ten months would be having trouble more so than the adults but its quite the oposite.
No i'v never felt i'v needed to suppliment.

Sorry, that's me getting all confused again! I was thinking that Taz & Cassie were the youngsters! Blushing

I don't give supplements either, but I do add some cod liver oil to Dempsey's food occasionally. It might just take that bit of stiffness away from Taz's joints.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 08 2011, 23:24

Lol quite alright, Alright i'll try a little cod liver oil, how much and how often would you recommend?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 08 2011, 23:36

I'd say start with a teaspoon 3 times a week. If it gives him the runs, then cut it down to a teaspoon twice a week.

I've found in the past that natural probiotic yoghurt helps with digestion & therefore with overall stamina/ability to withstand stress & strain. However, don't use the sugar free ones, cause the artificial sweeteners are bad for dogs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 08 2011, 23:45

Thanks Caryll great help as always, I start soon as.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 09 2011, 05:11

Given their ages I don't think you are doing them any harm at all. They may be a little tired though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum