Sophie's walking habits since being in possible season

2 posters

Go down

Sophie's walking habits since being in possible season Empty Sophie's walking habits since being in possible season

Post by bobs Wed Jul 27 2011, 11:40

Bobs missus here. Hi, we were making real progress walking Sophie without pulling. I didn't want to use a halti or harness. I have a bad back and we were working really hard getting her to walk nicely on a lead.

There is a query as to whether or not she is in season so we are road walking her at the moment rather than go to our local country park so as to avoid male dogs on the loose.

Is it coincidence that the last couple of weeks Sophie has really gone downhill in her walking. She is dragging me from lamp-post to brick wall, obviously sniffing for male dogs (she is just about nine months).

We are walking her for about half an hour three times a day most days, but her nice walk is turing into a power walk, despite us doing exactly what we have always done on the advice of her/our trainer.

The method we were taught was to use a training lead and when she started pulling to turn and go in the opposite direction. This was quite successful until the past couple of weeks, coinciding with her apparently coming into season.

She has always got excited when meeting people, but this power dragging is ridiculous. My arm, shoulder and hand still throb from this mornings walk.

Your thoughts please while I am off out for another dangle on the end of her lead. Surprised
bobs
bobs
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sophie
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Sophie's walking habits since being in possible season Empty Re: Sophie's walking habits since being in possible season

Post by buster2011 Wed Jul 27 2011, 12:44

try stoping when she pulls i do this with buster now when he pulls and i stop he sit then we walk on

buster is a male but he is starting to growe up so trys to drag me to sniff for other dogs so know how you fill smile
buster2011
buster2011
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Sophie's walking habits since being in possible season Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : buster
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Sophie's walking habits since being in possible season Empty Re: Sophie's walking habits since being in possible season

Post by bobs Wed Jul 27 2011, 13:34

Cheers Buster. The vet was 100% sure she was just coming into season, but we are not so sure (have another thread on it).

She just seems to have got really hard work on her lead since around this time.
bobs
bobs

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 27 2011, 13:35

You are doing the correct thing. Not sure if her coming into season has anything to do with the behavior but someone else might have a different view or experience.

Suki is 10 months now and still pulls a bit but usually only the first 5-10 minutes and then usually settes in. That is unless of course there is anther dog or a bird she wants to chase.

Have you tried using some treats as an incentive on your walks or to get her attention once she becomes distracted? This works well for us. Also I think if you could increase the time of the walks to 45-60 minutes she may calm a bit.

She is going through the teenage rebellious phase but it will end eventually and all your hard work will pay off.

Back to top Go down

Post by buster2011 Wed Jul 27 2011, 14:55

bobs wrote:Cheers Buster. The vet was 100% sure she was just coming into season, but we are not so sure (have another thread on it).

She just seems to have got really hard work on her lead since around this time.

my sisters girl is due and some times never comes in to season but some time her behaver is wired
hope it all works out
buster2011
buster2011
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Sophie's walking habits since being in possible season Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : buster
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 27 2011, 15:06

As jstaff says, she is going through her 'teenage' phase at the moment, and that can sometimes feel like all your hard work and training is being undone - but it doesnt last forever.

She is probably enticed by all the wonderful smells and prospect of meeting other dogs/people out on her walk and is just excited. I would try jstaff's advice of taking treats as an incentive to focus and do as she's told.

I sympathise, my boy is 9 and a half months and pulls, he is massive and very strong, my arm hurts sometimes after a walk.

Have you tried her off lead? I've found that my boy is much better behaved off lead. He pulls like mad for the 5 minutes it takes us to get to the creek, but when I let him off, he's good as gold 99% of the time and responsive to my commands, although he does sometimes play deaf if there is another dog he wants to play with. Obviously if your girl is in season, letting her off lead is not an option until she finishes. Good luck Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by bobs Wed Jul 27 2011, 15:08

Cheers for the kindness. She seems to be pushing the boundaries at the moment. confused
bobs
bobs

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 27 2011, 15:14

They ALL do at that age. She will grow out of it. As long as you are calm, patient and CONSISTENT so that she knows her boundaries, she'll come good Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 27 2011, 16:03

bobs wrote:Cheers for the kindness. She seems to be pushing the boundaries at the moment. confused

I find it hard to believe that Sophie would be pushing the boundaries!!

I mean....check out that adorable face!! Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by bobs Wed Jul 27 2011, 16:07

Forget the face, she has just eaten her stuff-a-ball kong Crying or Very sad
bobs
bobs

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 27 2011, 16:34

oh Sophie !!! Surprised

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down