My pup is ill

3 posters

Go down

My pup is ill Empty My pup is ill

Post by Bekki Sat Jul 16 2011, 12:59

Ok, I know hes not a pup, hes 9 years old. He is intact too. In the past year Sid has been slowly going 'downhill'. At first we didnt really notice much, he's never been able to have long walks due to limping. But within this year, hes lost hair from his ears and above his tail, a lump appeared on his backside and is now constantly red or bleeding, he has a massive prostate plus a number of cysts, he limps just walking from room to room, hes stomach has become a bit caved in and his spine is visible.
Me and my husband got him a long time ago as a rescue pup, he was going to be put down, but we took him on. Hes had a hard life and is scared of most things. My 3 year old is extremely attached to Sid. I have been trying to get hold of the vet that gave us the news about his prostate but the vet has not called us back at all.
We just dont know what to do, Sid is one of the family.
Bekki
Bekki
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Sid
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

My pup is ill Empty Re: My pup is ill

Post by Guest Sat Jul 16 2011, 13:14

I can't help apart from keep trying to get hold of the vet, but hope he gets better soon Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 16 2011, 13:20

Same advice but if the vet can't be reached perhaps you should research other vets in the area.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bekki Sat Jul 16 2011, 13:33

I wouldnt know what to say to the vet that I hadnt already said to him. He suggested castration at the last appointment, but it would cost way too much and ive heard that it may be dangerous for Sid as he may not wake up again, especially as there seems to be numerous issues now. Sid has never been ill before so we are very concerned. Last time I spoke to the vet he wasnt clear about Sids future. Or much of what can be done accept attempting some pills to attempt to shrink the prostate a little bit. But what about everything else?
Bekki
Bekki

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 16 2011, 13:40

How confident are you in the vet? There is always an option to get a second or even third opinion. I do hope that everything works out for you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sat Jul 16 2011, 14:13

i would goto aonther vets Wink

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 16 2011, 16:16

I only have some idea about enlarged human prostates and no idea if the same ideas can be related to dogs, but considering all the other symptoms you describe I think you need to talk to your vet and discuss exactly what Sid's options are - whether surgery can fix it or what else can be done.
I would not be happy to have a dog "bleeding" from a lump and would hope my vet could suggest some options on what, why or how this is occurring as it doesn't sound normal.
My older dog's bones appear so much more apparent now which does alarm me a little but she's still got "piggy appetite" . Is Sid's appetite healthy?

Last edited by Dogalogs88 on Sat Jul 16 2011, 17:05; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 16 2011, 16:38

I can't help you either but I hope Sid will be okay...

My staffy Jethro has had 3 operations all in the last 9 months when he was 11. They can give them a special anaesthetic for older dogs..it doesn't knock them around as much. You could ask your vet about it...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 16 2011, 19:02

Castration could possibly help with the enlarged prostate, but it would depend on why the prostate is enlarged in the first place.

Some vets run a sceme whereby you take out a 'loan' for the cost of treatment, for which you are charged interest, and you pay it back monthly. Have you asked your vet whether they run a scheme like this? Has you vet said why he won't give any further treatment? Is it because the tunour has spread to other organs?

If your vet won't or can't give you answers to these questions I would ask for a second opinion from another vet's practice - it is your right to do so.

Good luck, I hope your vet will give you some answers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bekki Mon Jul 18 2011, 09:22

Dogalogs88 - He still eats normally which is why the appearance of his bones has shocked us, it happened really quickly too.

Caryll - I have asked a vet whether there was any schemes to help with payments and I was told none, so I think I will ask again and push a bit harder for info.

At the last ultrasound Sid had (the only thing we could afford at the moment) the vet had said there was a number of cysts and the prostate was massive, but didnt give us much more info on the issue or how to treat it. Almost as if there was nothing that could be done except wait...But we still think something could be done, or at least to be told exactly what is going on.
Bekki
Bekki

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 18 2011, 12:03

I really would seek a second opinion. Your vet isn't being very helpful, is he?

Back to top Go down

Post by Summerisle Mon Jul 18 2011, 12:26

Bekki wrote:Dogalogs88 - He still eats normally which is why the appearance of his bones has shocked us, it happened really quickly too.

Caryll - I have asked a vet whether there was any schemes to help with payments and I was told none, so I think I will ask again and push a bit harder for info.

At the last ultrasound Sid had (the only thing we could afford at the moment) the vet had said there was a number of cysts and the prostate was massive, but didnt give us much more info on the issue or how to treat it. Almost as if there was nothing that could be done except wait...But we still think something could be done, or at least to be told exactly what is going on.

Sorry to hear about the poor little guy but I have to say your Vet doesn't sound like a very nice guy...

I'd go somewhere else asap.
Summerisle
Summerisle
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Jimi
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 18 2011, 12:54

Becki, definitely seek a 2nd opinion if you can, as stated your vet is not being very supportive or helpful and I would certainly have lost faith in his judgement.
I wish I could give some idea of how to deal with things, is Sid having any issues with urine infection or difficulty passing urine? Not sure if this can occur in dogs with enlarged prostates, but it does in humans, so if he's ok then it may not be as bad as the vet has suggested.
Hope you are having some luck with sorting this out today, thinking of Sid, you and your family. Big hugs >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum