Cats and staffy cross collie

2 posters

Go down

Cats and staffy cross collie Empty Cats and staffy cross collie

Post by ShazD1989 Thu Mar 31 2022, 01:59

My seven month old staffy cross border collie has being great with my two cats since I got her six weeks ago. She curls up on the bed or sofa with them and there was never an issue. In the last week as she's gotten more confident and settled  she's starting to show more and more interest in the cats.

She's fine if she's tired and they are all on the sofa together she will happily snuggle with them. She has began to chase my youngest cat anytime he moves. I thought it was no big deal just a puppy playing I would call her away and tell her leave it and she would obey. The kitten is six months old and seems to purposely wind her up. He plays with her tails, pats her with his paw then darts encouraging her to chase him. I put a stair gate on the sitting room door so the cats had a escape route and space.

We had a really scary incident tonight the cat jumped over stair gate and she jumped over after him. She wouldn't listen to me at all which is a first she chased the cat around the bedroom. He lept onto the window still and she lept up physically grabbed him and pulled him down when I finally managed to get a hold of her collar. Her tail was wagging the whole time and she wasn't growling or barking. 

The cat was very upset, bushy tailed, hissing and spitting but completely unharmed. I don't know whether to take this as just rough play that needs corrected or to seriously worry about aggression. She never tries chasing or rough horsing with my older cat who is a Siamese because he doesn't run, he'll stand his ground and swat and hiss if she runs at him.

ShazD1989
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Cats and staffy cross collie Empty Re: Cats and staffy cross collie

Post by Caryll2 Fri Apr 01 2022, 09:24

That must have been so scary!

I've never had a cat so I can't really offer any meaningful advice. But I'm sure someone will be along soon to give you a helping hand!
Caryll2
Caryll2
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Cats and staffy cross collie Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Dempsey RIP & Badger RIP
Dog(s) Ages : RIP & RIP
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 113

Back to top Go down

Post by ShazD1989 Fri Apr 01 2022, 10:40

Caryll2 wrote:That must have been so scary!

I've never had a cat so I can't really offer any meaningful advice. But I'm sure someone will be along soon to give you a helping hand!
It was really scary but  the cat was completely unharmed although she did have a mouthful of fur when I pulled her off. We've went back to the start with training with the cats rewarding her for calm behaviour or even better ignoring the cats. I'm supervising her a lot more now and correcting any sign of chasing. Strangly the cat she went after happily curled up on the sofa beside her purring away the very next morning which makes me think it was just rough play because the cat clearly doesn't view her as a threat. Rough play or not I'm putting a stop to it as it's dangerous for both of them. She could accidently hurt the cat or she could end up with a claw in her eye if the cat lashes out.

ShazD1989

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by ShazD1989 Fri Apr 01 2022, 10:40

Caryll2 wrote:That must have been so scary!

It was really scary but  the cat was completely unharmed although she did have a mouthful of fur when I pulled her off. We've went back to the start with training with the cats rewarding her for calm behaviour or even better ignoring the cats. I'm supervising her a lot more now and correcting any sign of chasing. Strangly the cat she went after happily curled up on the sofa beside her purring away the very next morning which makes me think it was just rough play because the cat clearly doesn't view her as a threat. Rough play or not I'm putting a stop to it as it's dangerous for both of them. She could accidently hurt the cat or she could end up with a claw in her eye if the cat lashes out.

ShazD1989

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down