Dog Training & Separation - Help?

4 posters

Go down

Dog Training & Separation - Help? Empty Dog Training & Separation - Help?

Post by RichardUK Sun Feb 13 2022, 19:15

Okay, so my Staffy Casper has reached 6-months-old and I'm debating whether or not I should send him away for a week to a nearby residential training kennel in Airdrie, ADK9, to get some one-to-one training.

I can't find any local dog trainers, and the cost of having one travel out to me for an hour each week has mounted up far faster than I'd care to admit, but it was worth it to have Casper gain some basic commands and for me to learn how best to handle him.

The issue I have, however, is separation.

Casper is a very clingy dog, my fault I'm sure since I've spoiled him rotten and showered him with a lot of attention since I first got him. He hates to be in his cage unless I'm in the room (I spend most of my time in my room and his cage is right beside me) so he's usually relaxed and content, however, if I leave even for the toilet and he can't immediately follow he starts to whine and get a little wild)

I can't leave him unsupervised for any length of time outside of his cage which I feel isn't right, no animal should have to be caged for any length of time during the day, but he's destroyed three different floor mats, four separate dog beds, and most recently he's started trying to chew on a side-table lamp-shade.

He has two moderately large gardens to run around in and play, all manner of toys and chews beside his out-of-cage bed in the living room, and I make sure he gets plenty of exercise, but nothing seems to help any with his destructive tendencies or separation issues.

Part of me wonders if this is because of his hormones, he won't be getting castrated till April, the earliest appointment the vets had, and he does constantly try to hump legs and arms within his reach.

So, back to the matter of sending him away for a week of training, I have to wonder what this would do to him mentally, would it hurt him to be away from me for so long and cause him issues, or is it worthwhile to provide him with the professional level one-to-one training he needs?

I just want to do what's best for him while also sparing my own sanity as best I can.

Thanks.
RichardUK
RichardUK
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Dog Training & Separation - Help? Empty Re: Dog Training & Separation - Help?

Post by Jenc Sun Feb 13 2022, 20:14

Have a look at Absolute Dogs on YouTube, they give training videos covering most things for dogs! They are reward based trainers & have helped me with Katy Smile
I think he would get very distressed if you sent him away for training & may think you don't want him anymore Sad
Look at some videos & you should be able to cover all his needs.
I personally think April is too soon to castrate him as he's not matured enough yet! Usually 18 months is the best age.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Dog Training & Separation - Help? B110
Jenc
Jenc
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Mon Feb 14 2022, 15:49

I would echo what Jen says. Exactly why do you feel he needs to be sent away? I understand the lack of trainers in your area, but there are so many brilliant trainers you can follow on YouTube. Absolute dogs is one, but Chiraq Patel is another well worth a look!

If he suffers from separation anxiety now, then sending him away will almost certainly make him worse, plus you don't know exactly what will happen to him, or how he will react whilst he's there.

Six months is way too young for neutering (although your vet will disagree) as he hasn't received all the hormones necessary for proper growth of both body and mind/temperament.

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll2 Tue Feb 15 2022, 11:28

Please don't send him away. Firstly, it will increase his separation anxiety; but secondly, many of the residential training camps use a certain amount of force - not something I would recommend for any dog, let alone a sensitive Stafford with existing anxiety problems.
Caryll2
Caryll2
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Dog Training & Separation - Help? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Dempsey RIP & Badger RIP
Dog(s) Ages : RIP & RIP
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 113

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down