Raw perseverance?

3 posters

Go down

Raw perseverance? Empty Raw perseverance?

Post by anstonowl Wed Dec 22 2021, 19:24

Hi guys, hope you’re all good.
So our 6 month old, Bear, has been on raw since we brought him home at 8 weeks. He’s full of life, has a great coat and has been in good health since we got him.
About 4 weeks ago he started to show signs of not liking his raw food (Bella and Duke) so we switched brands (Bulmers and Durham’s) which has been very hit and miss.
Last week he completely went off eating and was sick a few times. A visit to the vets for an anti-sickness jab and painkiller jab brought him somewhere back to normal but still he’s very fussy with his food? He’s still not over his sickness as his stools have become extremely loose (never been an issue before). I was getting worried he hadn’t eaten much so gave him half a bowl of James Well Beloved kibble (the breeder had started him out on this) and he’s wolfed the lot in no time! Am I reading too much in to this or does our pup need to be put back onto kibble? Anyone had similar issues?
Thank you
anstonowl
anstonowl
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Raw perseverance? Empty Re: Raw perseverance?

Post by gillybrent Thu Dec 23 2021, 07:55

Sometimes a dog will link a certain food (or type of food) with an illness.

If his stomach still isn't 100% I would let him eat whatever food (within reason) makes him comfortable. You can always reintroduce raw at a later date if you want.

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by anstonowl Thu Dec 23 2021, 08:18

Really appreciate your reply, thank you! I’ve offered him both options this morning. He’s completely turned his nose up at his raw food and gone for the kibble. I’d read a graduate paper on dog nutrition and it strongly recommended not to mix raw and kibble, hence my worry putting him back on to it. The health benefits and the fact our friends Staffy has thrived since going to raw convinced us to start him off on raw. Will give him a little longer on the kibble then see what’s what.
Please could I ask what you feed to your dog? Thank you
anstonowl
anstonowl

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll2 Thu Dec 23 2021, 15:42

I agree with Gilly. Sometimes a dog will associate a certain food with them feeling unwell.

I feed raw. Mainly Nutriment, and similar. However, my dog is ADHD (diagnosed) and gets bored easily. So I also buy Rawgeous Sausages. The difference in look & texture often gets him eating when other foods don't tempt him.

However, if your pupster is happy on & does well on kibble then no harm will come to him to change for a while.

If you want to go back to raw in a few weeks, no problem.
Caryll2
Caryll2
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Raw perseverance? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Dempsey RIP & Badger RIP
Dog(s) Ages : RIP & RIP
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 113

Back to top Go down

Post by anstonowl Thu Dec 23 2021, 22:52

Appreciate the reply my friend! I’m reading so much stuff indent feel like I’m doing him justice!!? Will stick to his reaction and take it from there. Much appreciated guys xx
anstonowl
anstonowl

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum