weakness in limbs

3 posters

Go down

weakness in limbs Empty weakness in limbs

Post by LcKc63 Wed Apr 29 2020, 15:33

Hi there, hope someone could possibly advise. Lola is 10 and has started to lose control of her legs. This doesn't happen all the time, maybe 3 or 4 times a day, but enough for it to be concerning. I have also noticed she cannot walk as far as she used to, and is really slow when returning from a walk. On the start of the walk she will go off and do her business, but then comes straight back and will not leave my side (the vet said this is because she has lost her confidence due to her limbs). So I have been in touch with the vet and they are started her on pain meds which does not seem to have made any difference, so they said to give that a week and re-contact them if there is no change. Which will be Friday. She's eating and drinking fine and stools are usual. But she does have really bad breath which she hasn't before and I've always prided myself on the fact her teeth are still in good shape. She's her exact weight and has her food weighed. And as she's a scavenger I do not give treats apart from carrot. Lola is also very growly and doesn't much want to be stroked at all.

I was reading online about another question I have regarding if I should feed her senior food now,and in the comments someone had mentioned the exact same thing Lola has and there dog was also a Staffy and there dog had chronic kidney disease. I freaked out and came here to ask.

Obviously I will re-contact the vets on Friday when she has been taking her meds for a week and I'm guessing they will do blood works as a next option.

Anyone's else's dog have anything similar.
LcKc63
LcKc63
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Your Country : United Kingdom.
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog(s) Ages : 10
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

weakness in limbs Empty Re: weakness in limbs

Post by Jenc Wed Apr 29 2020, 20:59

At her age I would suggest she may have arthritis in one or more legs. Katy is only 7yrs & has it in her back knee! Baring in mind Lola nearly 70 in dog years, she's going to want to slow down a bit!
If her breath as changed suddenly I would certainly suggest a vet visit, could be some underlying issue. (not saying serious)
I give Katy joint supplements & also cbd oil.
Let us know how you get on Smile

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

weakness in limbs B110
Jenc
Jenc
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by LcKc63 Thu Apr 30 2020, 09:44

Thanks for the reply. I'm really interested in the cbd that you give your dog. Could you give me some more info on that, thanks Smile
LcKc63
LcKc63

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by KITA90 Thu Apr 30 2020, 10:00

Hi Lou, sorry I must have missed your post yesterday, I would have responded sooner!

I'll echo Jen, sounds like arthritis. I've heard great things about CBD oil although I've not tried and tested it. We use YuMove, primrose oil, fish based kibble (with sardine Sunday of course), fish based treats etc, all for those oils. How is Lola's weight? Can she afford to loose much to alleviate pressure? I managed to get 8kilos of Sheara and it made the world of difference!

Theres a number of reasons for bad breath, definitely recommend a vet check up.

Meds take a little while to kick in so hold.off for a week as you were.

Regarding food, they should really be on mature from 7+.
What diet is she on?

Nikita x

KITA90
KITA90
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Shéara & Mollie
Dog(s) Ages : Sheara 9, Mollie 8
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 81

Back to top Go down

Post by LcKc63 Thu Apr 30 2020, 12:32

Hi Kita and thank you for the reply. Lola's weight according to the vets is spot on, so I don't think she could lose any more. You can feel her ribs but not see them.
Lola has yumove itchy dog as she always has flaky skin in the spring and summer and it seems to alleviate it.
Her food is currently James Wellbeloved and that suits her but I was wondering whether to put her on senior food. I think as well I'm going to get some tins of sardines and give her them once a week.
The vet is going to call me today at 2.30pm to discuss what's next.
It wasn't until I came on here and read lot's of posts that I now know Lola is quite old and this maybe the reason she is slowing down.
But she is quite moody lately and doesn't even like to be stroked much. But will see what the vet says.
LcKc63
LcKc63

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by KITA90 Thu Apr 30 2020, 13:46

Be careful with the sardines, they're high in salt so get the ones in water or oil. This a treat and shouldnt be part of their diet xx

You could keep her on JW but just change it to the mature/senior version maybe.

Unfortunately they get old before you know it. My boy is 8 and hes living his best life as an old man already. He doesn't like to be stroked unless he comes to you and spends most of the say asleep.

Let us know what the vet says xx

KITA90
KITA90

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Thu Apr 30 2020, 20:43

LcKc63 wrote:Thanks for the reply. I'm really interested in the cbd that you give your dog. Could you give me some more info on that, thanks Smile

I use a company called Healthspan for my tablets & Katy's supplements. She is on a joint care tablet & Turmeric tablet, the Cbd oil is actually in the human section but is perfectly safe for dogs (I did my homework) Quite expensive but I put 2 drops on her dinner every night & she doesn't notice it. She was limping after every afternoon long walk after a rest but now it's only occasionally if she has gone really nuts playing Rolling Eyes Smile

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

weakness in limbs B110
Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by LcKc63 Fri May 01 2020, 10:36

So I spoke to the PDSA yesterday as that's who Lola is with currently with and they were very unhelpful. Basically saying they could be of no further assistance to her as if she was going blind or deaf then that's old age. If she has arthritis then she is on the best meds for that. If she has had a stroke then nothing further could be done.

Today, as we have been conversing through email I have put in a strong complaint. They should at least see Lola to rule things out and give me advice. I'm not a vet and they are just going on information I am giving them.
She didn't have any falls yesterday, so I was convinced it must be arthritis and the meds are working. But this morning gave her meds and she toppled over and was shaking like she was fitting, stood up and then did it again. And yet she gets out of bed and we have to go down stairs to go toilet and she is fine and doesn't limp. If it was arthritis you would think she would be stiff first thing in the morning but she's fine.

I appreciate they are struggling and are there basically for emergencies but surely this is, so will see what they say today. The vet who I spoke to yesterday advised she wasn't being a heartless bitch, but in a nutshell there is nothing they can do. I cannot go private as I do not have the money. I feel like I've failed and are failing Lola.
LcKc63
LcKc63

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by KITA90 Sat May 02 2020, 09:06

Morning Lou,

Ironically, if you use the symptom checker on the PDSA website, your symptoms are urgent and are advised to contact them immediately. I'd call them back and dont take no for an answer.

Dont rule out arthritis just because shes not limping in the morning. It comes and goes as it pleases.

Theres nothing stopping you ringing around other vets and getting their advice over the phone, that wont cost you. If they advise a different medication then there are reputable websites you can get meds from online at a cheaper price.

I think for now you need to make lola as comfortable as possible, avoid her going up the stairs if you can, short walks around the block, no jumping during play time etc.

Nikita x

KITA90
KITA90

Status Status :

Female