4 posters

Go down

Dog .

Post by Zac and Charlie Fri Apr 19 2019, 06:03

Last edited by Zac and Charlie on Sat Aug 10 2019, 11:37; edited 2 times in total
Zac and Charlie
Zac and Charlie
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Charlie
Dog(s) Ages : 18/11/18
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Dog Re: .

Post by Zac and Charlie Fri Apr 19 2019, 06:14

Last edited by Zac and Charlie on Sat Aug 10 2019, 11:37; edited 1 time in total
Zac and Charlie
Zac and Charlie

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 19 2019, 08:57

The easy questions first - yes, Charlie will fill out as he gets older so that's not his final shape. I would say he's a tad lean. Not skinny, but could carry a bit more without a problem. Rather than go back to lunches, I'd increase his morning and evening meals. Remember if you're following a feeding guide according to weight and that weight is too low, you'll be underfeeding. I personally prefer to feed according to how he looks. If he looks too slim, add a bit more.

DNA probably do work to a large extent but I wouldn't rely on one in a court of law. And if the crooks that are claiming they can give your dog a legally valid certificate saying he's not a pit bull are still going, don't use them.

Dog fights. Honestly, if you're having problems with dogs fights, either that you're encountering another that you now have reason to believe will cause problems, or that your own dog may start a fight, then the best advice is to change where and/or how you walk. There is no 100% safe way of breaking up a dog fight, especially if the other owner is not there. Especially as the owner of a bull breed dog, you need to be aware that the Dangerous Dogs Act is not just about breed, it also covers this situation, where an out of control dog injures someone trying to break up a fight:

https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public

So, strictly speaking, you could report the owner of the other dog as she was not in control of it. From what you say, this was a spat over a toy and both dogs were involved, so I'm not suggesting you do it but you have to be aware that someone could.

I personally would never let my dogs play with another dogs toy, other than amongst themselves in the home. It is, I'm afraid to say, an accident waiting to happen. I would say if you see a dog with a toy, call Charlie away and pop him on the lead. Make sure you have a solid (and I mean solid) 'leave it' command so that he will give up anything he has in his mouth. And above all, if Charlie can't play nicely with other dogs of any description, don't let him play with them at all, even if that means walking somewhere else or putting him on the lead. I would also suggest looking into training, either one to one or classes if you can find someone good.

To answer your actual question - how to break up a fight if one starts. There are 2 things that can help. One is a pet corrector, which is basically an air spray that makes a very loud noise. It can make them jump and let go. However, you can desensitise them to it quite quickly so it only works a few times, if it does at all.

The other way is to have a collar on Charlie. If the worst comes to the absolute worst, and especially if he's got a hold and won't let go, you take the collar from behind and twist till he has to let go to breathe. It's not nice and it is an absolute last resort, and of course it does nothing about the other dog. By the way, never pick your dog up to get it away from another, it's almost guaranteed to make the other try and grab it, exactly as you found.

So avoidance and training are the best options, and working together. Avoid and train at the same time till the training is far enough advanced.

Keep safe, both of you!

Back to top Go down

Post by Zac and Charlie Fri Apr 19 2019, 11:13

Thank you very much Liz, this was very helpful
I take charlie to an off leash park every day, I always have him on leash for when we get there and see whose there, he loves to say hello to everyone when we get there making it a bit difficult to control him. unfortunately there are to many irresponsible owners who dont care until its to late. Charlie has gotten a lot better, he used to be to rough to all dogs and I had to start his socialization all other again by having him on leash at all times and only meeting certain dogs. Im very happy with how far hes come in a short time but still he gets to excited playing with the big dogs and thats when he starts to bite to try win or be on top. He is never aggressive at all but doesn't always know how to play nice. Of course when he goes to far he gets put on a time out or we leave. We have been considering behavior training in the last week and will do it just to be safe.

The tug toy at the park wasn't either of ours, all the dogs where having so much fun I did not see an attack coming, maybe a warning if it went to far. But like the last attack i had no choice but to pick him up as the owners weren't close enough to control their dog, Id rather me than him any day but unfortunately I got bit this time. charlie could have came out a lot worse than I.

I am aware of reporting the owners but I will not, it was her parteners dog. If i where to repeort them the dog would be taken away or put down which I do not want to happen, these incidents can happen to anyone

Thank you again
Zac and Charlie
Zac and Charlie

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll2 Fri Apr 19 2019, 12:17

Charlie's a handsome boy! 

Yes, he could probably do with a little extra padding, but some young dogs do tend towards leanness, especially if they're exercised a lot. 

He will fill out as he matures, but he won't reach his full width until he's around two years old - plenty of time!

DNA tests for breed can be very misleading. I don't think they're 100% accurate, and as all breeds of dog have different breeds in their past make up they dan be confusing.

If you're worried about him being a pitbull 'type'  your best bet will be to make sure he's well trained, friendly & keeps out of trouble!  Big Grin
Caryll2
Caryll2
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
. Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Dempsey RIP & Badger RIP
Dog(s) Ages : RIP & RIP
Support total : 113

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 19 2019, 17:16

To be honest, these high excitement doggy parks aren't great for dog behaviour - I wouldn't take one of mine there. The excitement and energy levels are too great and too much for some dogs to deal with. In Charlie's case, what I'd be wanting him to learn at the moment is how to interact with dogs in a calm way, and how to stop and come to you when you ask. It's a heck of a lot to ask any dog to do that in these high octane environements, but especially a young staffie. And, as you say, you also have to contend with irresponsible owners.

I know the 'bark park' idea appeals to us and we love seeing our dogs charging around having fun. However, from a learning point of view and from a control point of view, they aren't very good.

Back to top Go down

Post by Zac and Charlie Sat Apr 20 2019, 16:05

Thanks Caryll. Im not concerned that hes a pit bull, even if he was I wouldn't be fussed.
The park probably isn't the greatest as you said but take him so he can socialize as much as possible. Its just getting frustrating having to deal with irresponsible owners every day, its not just owners with big out of control dogs. So many small poodle mixes have tried to attack my dog and their owners have done nothing thinking that their dog would do no harm as mine is bigger. If my dog didn't walk away and decided to fight back their would be serious consequences and he would be labeled as a dangerous breed/dog. Staffys already have a bad name in Australia I would hate to make it worse
Zac and Charlie
Zac and Charlie

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Dog Neuriting

Post by Branchy Wed May 22 2019, 18:09

I've had my 7 MTH dog neurted I had it done a week ago but he is still biting does it get better in time. I was told that his hormones are all over the place and after a MTH it will get better. I'm thinking of getting a cage to put him in when his biting us is that a good idea.

Branchy

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Thu May 23 2019, 13:04

Branchy wrote:I've had my 7 MTH dog neurted I had it done a week ago but he is still biting does it get better in time. I was told that his hormones are all over the place and after a MTH it will get better. I'm thinking of getting a cage to put him in when his biting us is that a good idea.

Neutering won't stop puppy nipping (which I assume is what you mean?). One way to stop him is, every time he nips, say "no" in a calm but deep voice, and turn away - ignore him completely. If he carries on, walk out of the room & shut the door. He'll soon realise that nipping means end of fun!

But EVERYONE must do the same thing EVERY time, or he'll get confused.

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: