age 13

4 posters

Go down

age 13 Empty age 13

Post by june4 Thu May 10 2018, 12:03

my staffy Nipper has his 13th birthday this month. He hasn't had a easy life having suffered seizure for years. Both knees have titanium plates in & now his arthritis is so bad his back legs keep giving way. I feel so sad because i know i'm going to have to make that devastating decision soon & can't bear the thought of it. The vet has prescribed rimadyl to see if it helps, but his back legs are so wobbly & we lift his back end constantly. Any advice of kind, to help me through these last months of his life (i hope). when do you know & how do you make the decision
june4
june4
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Your Country : Australia
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : nipper
Dog(s) Ages : 13
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

age 13 Empty Re: age 13

Post by Guest Thu May 10 2018, 13:04

It's the hardest thing in the world, knowing what to do and when to do it. I can only tell you what I feel, how I have dealt with it in the past and intend to in the future.

For me, the most important thing is the quality of life for the dog. I will do everything in my power to make a dog comfortable and happy, when I feel I can no longer do that is the time we stop, regardless of how hard it is to do that. The happiness bit is sometimes the harder part to define - what one dog doesn't mind can be distressing for another. It's all about knowing your dog.

It sounds like you're very much doing what you can, with the help of your vet. Hopefully the Rimadyl will help but if it's not a pain issue then it may not. In which case I would say it all depends on how Nipper feels about his wobbles. Does he find it distressing or is it something he just gets on with? Is he still keen to walk, happy to do what he can or is he saying he'd rather not? Can he still take himself out if needs to go?

If he's happy, then try to be happy with him. It's very easy to dwell on the negative, looking towards that dreaded time, but your time together is here and now. Love it every day you can.

Back to top Go down

Post by june4 Thu May 10 2018, 15:53

Thank you for your kind message, yes Nipper still manages to move round the house & get in garden with some help. He would eat all day if he could. Most of his time he is sleeping because he gets tiered more, but does get us up in the night barking when he needs toilet. He such a strong tuff old man & doesn't mind the wobbles & the fact he occasionally get stuck on his bum in auckward places. We become so attached & yes i am being negative & crying a lot at the thought of it, but we do the very best we can to help & make him comfortable.
June
june4
june4

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Thu May 10 2018, 18:02

Hi ya, I kind of know how you feel. My Flo had back surgery this time last year and has done well to get back on all 4 paws though, like your Nipper, she is wobbly on her back legs. We go for ambles these days rather than walks but she enjoys herself.

We have had that tough chat here and have decided that all the while she is mobile, enjoys eating, has that Staffy sparkle in her eye and still plays with a wagging tail then all is good. You'll know when the time is right, he will let you know I'm sure.

My last words are simple, don't be sad, enjoy the time you have with him, you can be sad once he's moved on so enjoy those Staffy cuddles while you can with a smile.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

age 13 B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Thu May 10 2018, 22:14

I think you'll know when 'that time' comes. He'll stop being content & will become sad & sedentary.

It's probably the hardest decision any of us have to make, but if a dog's lost its quality of life it's the fairest one.

In the meantime, as already said, don't be sad - you've given him a wonderful life full of love (which I'm sure has been returned 1000 times over!) and you should try to enjoy the time left to you.

Last edited by gillybrent on Mon May 14 2018, 15:56; edited 1 time in total

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by june4 Fri May 11 2018, 14:53

Thank you for you kind responses
june4
june4

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by lexii Sun May 13 2018, 22:17

Having recently had to make the call myself i know exactly what you are going through. There is never a clear cut "right time" unless something horrific happens and you do have to make yourself think about the dogs quality of life. My lexi was fully mobile albeit slow and a bit pottery so we did all we could to help her out with meds and mats on the floor for grip (my kitchen had a little yellow brick road of rubber backed mats for a few months) but the breaking point for me would have been if she was not able to get up with her own power. The day she was put to rest was a day she refused to get out of bed for breakfast, unknown for her. She eventually did get up and ate a special turkey dinner (cause i had made the call) then she tried to go for my other dog, and we all thought jesus we have made the wrong call here..but i think she was ready and i have no regrets. Its always better a day too soon than a day too late.

You have been a wonderful owner and your dog loves you, thers no better life for a dog than with a caring owner. Best of wishes x
lexii
lexii

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : No dogs now :(
Support total : 69

Back to top Go down

Post by june4 Mon May 14 2018, 12:21

Thank you for the lovely message, yes your right mats & ramps etc for mobility around the house. Nipper is still just getting up himself, & i really won't let him suffer if things get worse. i'm glad i put the message on here because the responses do help, even though they make me sad. Thank you x
june4
june4

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by june4 Tue Aug 21 2018, 10:15

Here i am again in August! I don't know why but it seems we are tolerating & managing Nippers problems. Night times are bad, three months now of disturbed sleep to get up & take Nipper out. He needs more help as his back end is very week, the vet says its more muscular strength. Falls onto his bottom constantly, needs support when pooing. Why do people say he'll let you know when its time, because all the times i try to make the decision he seems to perk up a bit. We are struggling & i know he hates going to the vet & always wants to get out the door. My partner leaves all the decisions to me. What would you do Sad
june4
june4

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Wed Aug 22 2018, 10:38

To be honest, without actually living with a dog, it's almost impossible to say what I'd do.

You need to ask yourself two questions:
1. Is he happy & content, despite the struggles?
2. Is your decision clouded by needing to keep him by your side?

If the answer to no. 1 is yes, then wait. If the answer is no, well, then you seriously need to think hard about the second question.

When all is said and done, he is yours & you know him best.

My thoughts & prayers are with you.

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down