Preparing for a rescue staffy

5 posters

Go down

Smile Preparing for a rescue staffy

Post by Oakmoss Thu May 25 2017, 13:48

Hi all

My husband and I are going to give a home to a rescue staffy. We have not found our dog yet but are getting to meet one, hopefully two, within the next week at a local rescue. I feel ridiculously excited!

As a couple we have not been owned by a dog and staffy's are totally new to us both. I have ordered a few books about them so I can read up but I have no idea about the best food, bowls (what size, anti gulp or not etc), toys, the best leads and collars etc and where to get everything from.

If there is any advice you can offer to help us prepare for our new dog I will be forever grateful Smile

Thank you Smile
Oakmoss
Oakmoss
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Smile Re: Preparing for a rescue staffy

Post by Guest Thu May 25 2017, 16:54

Sometimes it depends on the dog. You can invest a huge amount in wonderful beds, only to find they prefer to sleep anywhere but. Some toys are a hit, others get ignored.

You need water bowls and food bowls, and it's also a good idea to research good quality food. That might depend on if you prefer to go to a shop or get it delivered, or you don't mind. I would always say to get the best nutritional quality you can for your budget.

When you first get a rescue it's best not the let them off the lead, even if they have good recall, as they won't know you or the area. I prefer a harness to a collar (better for the neck) and what you choose might depend on how well the dog walks on the lead already. I'd suggest a long line rather than a short lead so you can give the dog freedom while still having control.

I use these, the thinner width and 5m length.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/K9-CUSHION-WEBBING-TRAINING-TRACKING-LUNGE-LONG-LINE-13-COLOURS-2-WIDTHS-/262225706542?var=&hash=item3d0ddebe2e:m:myc1Dk8CfL-2ebW_RhjVbng

But... I'd say find your dog first. If you do get one from Danaher it will take a little while as you have to visit at least twice and then get a home check, so there will be plenty of time to buy once you know which dog it's for.

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakmoss Thu May 25 2017, 17:25

Thanks Liz Smile

I just wanted to start getting to know the sorts of things we might need and where best to shop Smile

I do the majority of my shopping (for everything) online but wouldn't know where is good for dog food etc as we have only had cats and in the last year of Ollies life he would only eat tinned tuna in springwater and fresh chicken, as he refused everything else we tried. I hear you about toys! We spent a small fortune on our two boys (Ollie and Casper) but they much preferred an empty cardboard box and a ball made of scrunched up kitchen foil! They also turned their nose up at every pet bed we ever bought them in the early years - we soon learned!!!! Laughing

Oakmoss
Oakmoss

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 25 2017, 18:36

I use this dog food. Well I don't but the dogs do!

https://www.millieswolfheart.co.uk/

It's very good quality and delivered to your door within a few days, and not horribly expensive for what it is. Their treats and chews are good too. You can get samples of the food to make sure a dog likes it first as well, which isn't a bad thing to do first.

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Thu May 25 2017, 19:45

With food you really want as good a quality as you can afford but you may find that it's trial and error as to what they like too. We go to pets at home and get a mix of Wainwrights mixed variety tins and Jameswellbeloved kibble, again in a variety of flavours as my girl gets bored with the same thing.

When you get your fur buddy you might want to see where they settle rather than dictating where they sleep, it took us a few weeks to work that one out but she chose and all is now fine (ok we don't get on the sofa anymore but she's happy)

With bowls, I would start with ordinary basic bowls and see how he/she eats before rushing out to get a slow feed bowl. I also use a harness which certainly helps with any pulling issues and think the long line is good, we used one for years too.

Toys... Hmmm, ragging ropes are always a favourite as are tennis balls but don't expect either to last very long.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Preparing for a rescue staffy B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Thu May 25 2017, 20:09

Tug toys can be made from mens ties socks or perhaps old jeans. If you dnt want to use ur own clothes a good idea is use a charity shop as the clothes are really cheap. With regards to food introduce them sloely to a bew food over a 2 week period as not to upset their stomach. Welcome and welldone on your potential rescue. A handy tip ask the rescue cebntre ask what food they currently eat

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Preparing for a rescue staffy B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 28 2017, 08:24

So if we're talking about miss Bella...

She's a chewer, as you might have noticed Laughing and will rip things to shreds fairly quickly. A chunky rope bone and a Kong would be good first investments. She loves squeaky toys as well but, as with most staffies, she'll kill the squeak quickly! Someone had left a stuffed toy in the paddock on Friday and it was all over the place in seconds - I don't like those anyway as I'm always concerned they'll swallow bits.

She might also like something like an antler. They're a bit pricey but they can last for ages and they're great for chewing.

This is the book I mentioned. It's a recap on what Pam did and explained re meeting other dogs, plus some very good advice on day to day walking.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Feisty-Fido-Help-Leash-Reactive-Dog/dp/1891767070/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1495954496&sr=1-1&keywords=feisty+fido

Just as a general book on understanding dogs, The Other End of the Leash is fantastic, really worth a read.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Other-End-Leash-Patricia-McConnell/034544678X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1495955264&sr=1-1&keywords=patricia+mcconnell

Food - Ask Pam for the name of the food she's on at the moment and I'd stick with that for a couple of weeks till she's settled. Even a move to someone great can take a little while for them to get used to. That'll also give you a feel for her a bit more. I know Pam said she prefers wet to dry but that might change when she's out of the kennels - wet is more expensive than dry.

And a few photos from Friday... you should be able to download them if you want.

http://slickpic.us/1377352M3jg

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakmoss Sun May 28 2017, 13:35

What would I do without you guys? Love Struck

Thanks Liz - I ordered three of Patricia McConnells books when I got home yesterday and they came this morning Smile Thank you ever so much for hte pictures - we really appreciate it Smile

I saw some antler chews on Pet Planet - I thought they are a good price for what they are Smile Where do you get yours?

I will ask Pam about what food Bella is on at the moment. Does anyone here use the online company Tails.com? They are offering a two week free trial with no ongoing commitment. Even if its not right for Bella then I am sure the rescue centre could use it Smile

Gary and I are going for our second visit to Bella next Saturday (he works from 6 am until 3:30pm each day) and I am going to see her on Thursday Smile Liz had the brilliant idea of giving Bella a piece of clothing so she can get used to our smell. Thanks Liz Smile
Oakmoss
Oakmoss

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Goblin Sun May 28 2017, 14:47

Oh Bella is aptly named, what a lovely girl she is! I'm having pangs.

BTW I've heard of Tails.com but I can't remember who on here used them.

Beds! My Mum (without my knowledge) bought Gizmo a massively expensive ergonomic dog bed. He spends about 3 to 4 minutes in it and then lies on the floor next to it. Every. single. time.

Worn socks and tights tied together are a pretty fun alternative to a bought toy. Although it does mean you have to keep your laundry bag closed or they'll start helping themselves.
Goblin
Goblin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Gizmo
Dog(s) Ages : 01/05/2014
Dog Gender(s) : boy
Support total : 82

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 28 2017, 15:14

Because I am mean (as you already know), my guys don't get antlers Crying or Very sad. They have raw bones instead. They used to be on 100% raw food but then fussy miss Millie decided she didn't like raw meat any more so we switched to Millie's Wolfheart. They still get their bones because they others adore them and Millie does too now, and because I think they're one of the best things for keeping teeth clean. Nola's teeth are still almost white, aged 10.

I'm not sure I'd go for socks for Bella. She's a shredder and my concern would be that she'd pull of a chunk and swallow it. At least with rope bones you only ever get strands coming off.

As for Gizmo and the bed, that sounds about right!!! We have 6 dog beds of various descriptions, plus 2 charity shop bean bags, and they probably still spend more time on a human bed. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Goblin Sun May 28 2017, 15:26

Gizmo shreds things but he doesn't eat them, he leaves them in heaps everywhere in my room. I watch him with things like bubble wrap or socks to make sure he doesn't swallow them.
Goblin
Goblin

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Gizmo
Dog(s) Ages : 01/05/2014
Dog Gender(s) : boy
Support total : 82

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 28 2017, 15:41

And I nearly forgot, paddling pools. We have one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CXODW88/ref=s9_dcacsd_dcoop_bw_c_x_5_w

a bit like this!

Preparing for a rescue staffy 28084256970_c12b865a02_kIMG_6026 by Liz Pitman, on Flickr

They've not managed to make a hole in it (yet!). I don't know what Bella would be like in it, not all dogs go into water naturally. If I have time on Friday, I'll see if I can take her into the pond at Danaher for you if you like. It's my last day before I go on holiday and it'll depend what's new in for me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakmoss Sun May 28 2017, 18:07

That would be great about the pool - thanks Liz Smile Where are you off to on holiday? I hope you have a lovely time Smile

I have been reading one of Patricia's books this afternoon called 'I'll Be Home Soon' about separation anxiety which Bella has. I love Patricia's writing style and haven't been able to put it down so thank you for the recommendation!

Oakmoss
Oakmoss

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakmoss Sun May 28 2017, 18:11

Lol Goblin - that has made me laugh about the (ergonomic!) bed Laughing !!! Our kittens resolutely ignored all the beds we bought for them in the early years. We learned that lesson although its so tempting to buy whatever we can for Bella! We need to let her settle in and take it all slowly Smile

To be fair, it's common sense I guess, I mean why on earth would you want something called a 'pet bed' when you can simply oust your humans out of their nice comfy double bed which has a nice big duvet and lots of pillows?!!! Laughing Love Struck
Oakmoss
Oakmoss

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakmoss Sun May 28 2017, 21:18

Liz, we have a little something for you. Shall I hand it to Danaher and ask them to give it to you? xx
Oakmoss
Oakmoss

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by GRAHAM.C Sun May 28 2017, 22:12

Am I reading it wrong,when I think you are getting a little bit excited ? Wink
GRAHAM.C
GRAHAM.C
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : TESS
Dog(s) Ages : DOB JUNE 2016
Dog Gender(s) : BITCH
Support total : 66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 29 2017, 08:00

Oakmoss wrote:Liz, we have a little something for you. Shall I hand it to Danaher and ask them to give it to you? xx

That's very naughty, but very sweet. Yes, that would be lovely.

I'm glad you're getting on with Patricia.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down