toy playing

2 posters

Go down

toy playing Empty toy playing

Post by stokes Fri Apr 07 2017, 11:38

toy playing Wp_20115
Just fosters a staffie called Rosie same age as my Dexter 19mths. She already had pups at 14mths old and was rescued with them. She gets on great with Dexter no problem with food and second night started to share bed. The problem is sharing toys, it starts off well normal staffie play growling tug o war but then she turns on him, I leave a roar both stop and I take the toy and that's it everything normal again.
But last night i saw a side of Dexter never seen before I know he was showing her who's boss but she didn't back down got such a fright let out a roar and both stopped and walked away. Today playing with the toys she's getting obsessive with toys again so pick up all toys and put away. Can someone give me advice on what to do she is a quick learner thought her her name and basic sit and stay already but the toys have my heart broke, because if it works would like to keep her. She is a small staff only weighs 12kg at the moment but so sweet every other way.toy playing Wp_20112
stokes
stokes
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Dexter
Dog(s) Ages : 16mths /
Dog Gender(s) : older male
Support total : 11

Back to top Go down

toy playing Empty Re: toy playing

Post by Guest Fri Apr 07 2017, 18:49

Love that bed sharing shot!!! Well done on taking a foster, that's brilliant.

If it's only toys that are the issue, I would say for the time being to put them all away. Let them both settle well and know each other thoroughly before having any testing of their relationship. If you want to play with Dexter, do it with him alone, and the same with Rosie. But otherwise, for now at least, no toys.

I would then make sure both know 'leave it', and make sure both of them will happily give you anything.

Then, in a month or two (yes, that long), I would introduce a couple of boring toys, not a tuggy one, and one each. Then work on them giving you their toy while in the presence of the other, and keep giving it back. It's not going away forever.

Then build up. You might find that some toys are safe and others aren't.

I would also keep collars on. If you do need to split them, twisting collars isn't nice, isn't easy, but it's often effective. And keep your hands/arms away from mouths - I can't personally tell you want can happen if it goes wrong!

Back to top Go down

Post by stokes Mon Apr 10 2017, 21:48

Thanks for the advice, I've got rid of toys so both playing together sometimes it gets to much for her but only have to shout and they separate. It's only been 6 days so hopefully Dexter calms down and realise she not going anywhere he just gets so excited. I have no problems taking the toys off Rosie she don't mind she has to learn as well. I'll keep going with it and hopefully they'll soon learn. Thanks again
stokes
stokes

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Dexter
Dog(s) Ages : 16mths /
Dog Gender(s) : older male
Support total : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Mon Apr 10 2017, 21:52

It's great that they both respond straight away when you shout Sarah, sounds like this might be a long term foster eh Wink

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

toy playing B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down