Inez Maria
smudge95
-Ian-
Mistys Mum
8 posters

Go down

Surprised Puddles

Post by Mistys Mum Sun Jun 19 2016, 21:01

WOW- I honestly cant believe Im writing this as its not something I thought would happen for a long time. Misty has always walked around puddles and if she cant walk around she will jump across. She has walked in lakes up to her knees but never puddles. Well, yesterday I took her to the lakes in the morning for a nice walk. Hubby and I are chatting and halfway through the walk we look down at her and shes walking in a puddle. We are both speechless- she acted like she had been doing it forever.

It was unbelievable!! I cannot stress enough how much she hated puddles before but she just started walking through all of them. We couldn't believe it- it sounds stupid but I could have cried- it was like she was experiencing some more 'doggy' type fun which she previously was scared of. She walked through small ones, shallow ones, deep ones and big ones. She was one muddy pup when the walk was finished and we couldn't have been happier. It was the best birthday present she could have given me.

So we went back this morning and she ignored the puddles on the beginning of the walk but on the next stretch she actually started dragging me through them so she could run through them!!! We had a marvellous time- its all on lead at the lakes so I couldn't let her run free but I was more then happy to get muddy with her. She absolutely loved it. I have no idea what has changed with her recently but she seems a lot more grown up. Shes calmer in the car- I had Thursday off work and took her for the longest ever drive in my car she has had- she was a very good girl- we went to a new park which was utterly amazing and she was excellent. A few months ago I would have walked over broken glass rather then have her in my car for over 30 minutes each way as she would try to clamber on me and it was dangerous- now she sits in the front seat and just looks out- she lets me clip her seatbelt on no problems and even waits when I open the door until I say 'finish' and then she jumps out.

Me and hubby looked absolutely mad getting so excited just because our dog was walking and running in puddles but we didn't care- it was fantastic!

I don't know if her swimming lesson helped (not something we will do again until she starts swimming by herself) but she is now enjoying walking and running in puddles and we couldn't be happier!!!

The muddier she is the better in our book Laughing

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Puddles B110
Mistys Mum
Mistys Mum
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Misty
Dog(s) Ages : 16 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 523

Back to top Go down

Surprised Re: Puddles

Post by -Ian- Sun Jun 19 2016, 22:40

Laughing ... Now I'm the opposite, I'm so happy that Flo will walk around puddles, to the point of OMG walk this way you numpty keep the paws clean !!

I can though fully understand why you are so excited with Misty, it must be like, wow, now you're having fun Big Grin

Puddles B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 20 2016, 09:02

That's fantastic! I'm so happy for you, now your car will smell as a car should - of wet dog!

It's absolutely piddling it down here again, looks like you'll have lots of puddles to practise on. And if it does get hot, maybe Misty would like a paddling pool? Might be a great next step for her.

Back to top Go down

Post by smudge95 Mon Jun 20 2016, 09:25

That's great news well done Misty its great when you see they are really enjoying doing something - they do change when you least expect it - Buddy would never go out in the rain or go near the hose pipe but the weekend he started chasing the hose and was having great fun running through it and this morning wouldn't walk in the rain - not because of the rain but because he had his coat on ! - I took I off and he loved getting soaked ... strange dog !!
smudge95
smudge95
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Buddy
Dog(s) Ages : 20.02.2015
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 56

Back to top Go down

Post by Inez Maria Mon Jun 20 2016, 11:42

Fab Smile perhaps cause we have so much bloody rain she thinks well cant beat em join em Laughing Laughing

Puddles B110
Inez Maria
Inez Maria

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Vinnie
Dog(s) Ages : 11/08/2011
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 2596

Back to top Go down

Post by TwoSocks Mon Jun 20 2016, 12:45

Oh that's wonderful! Well done Misty Smile
TwoSocks
TwoSocks
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Puddles Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Una
Dog(s) Ages : 02/05/2015
Support total : 50

Back to top Go down

Post by Steph7990 Mon Jun 20 2016, 20:20

That's fantastic news. I am currently trying to get my pup to go through puddles so I can completely celebrate in your achievement and I use this as a piece of hope that one day mine to will one day walk thorough a puddle. Happy walks with lots of muddy puddles lol
Steph7990
Steph7990
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 17 weeks
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Mon Jun 20 2016, 21:18

That's great Emma Big Grin I used to have to carry Katy over puddles or she would go round or jump over them Rolling Eyes She now happily runs through them & even paddles in the stream Laughing They are funny dogs, she doesn't like the rain but likes a shower Surprised

Puddles B110
Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by Mistys Mum Thu Jun 23 2016, 14:18

Thanks All- Its so strange as she has always loved the hosepipe- my dad found this out last year when babysitting her while we were on hols. He said she went ballistic for it- I didn't believe it until I saw it with my own eyes. She adores it! Makes no sense as she wont go outside in the rain but loves getting drenched by a hosepipe!! When we turn the hose off she actually walks up to the tap its connected to and tries to paw it to put it back on. She just doesnt get bored of it.

Liz- Well she has got a plastic paddling pool I bought her last year- we filled it up a few time but she would walk over to the side and look at the water but go no further. Im hoping now she might go in- I really hope this rain will end soon so we can try!!!

Well last night I took her to the lakes again and she is a different dog to her old self. Not only is she walking through puddles like a pro but she actually got in the lake!!! Now this was incredible- they have a fishing lake with little jettys that I always take her down to look at the water- on the weekend she drank from the lake which she never has before. So last night we found another lake and as there were no ducks there I took her down to the front of it- straight away she walked in the water up to her tummy- she would have gone deeper but I stopped her as she was on lead and I couldn't get any closer. It was amazing- Im convinced she would have gone a lot deeper if she could have.
Then on the way home we went back to the fishing lake and she walked to the end of the jetty and there was a log in the water- she put her front paws on it and it sunk so she did get both paws in the water quickly before getting back on dry land- I worried this might have scared her a bit but no- straight away where the jetty meets the land there is a sort of swampy water area- she walked straight in it- up to her chest - soaking her harness. Obviously I was a horrible mummy as I made her come out as the water was filthy there!
I think we might have a water baby on our hands!!

I dont know what has changed her mind but I love it! We are having horrendous rain here today but Im looking forward to being able to put my wellies on and run through puddles with her!!

Puddles B110
Mistys Mum
Mistys Mum

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Misty
Dog(s) Ages : 16 months
Support total : 523

Back to top Go down

Post by Sealpig Thu Jun 23 2016, 14:25

Misty has come on leaps and bounds recently! Love reading her updates, keep them coming Smile
Sealpig
Sealpig
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Prefer to not say
Dogs Name(s) : Rio
Dog(s) Ages : 7.5 yrs
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down