Popular Breed?

5 posters

Go down

Popular Breed? Empty Popular Breed?

Post by dizzy Thu May 19 2016, 11:01

Just got back from a really nice walk with Dodge, over the fields and through the town. We met lots of staffy loving people everywhere we went. Dodge was petted and fussed, loving every minute of it, but when I checked the news when I got in, there it was,"Dog attacks children in park! Thought to be a Staffordshire Bull Terrier!"
Only thought to be, but of course any other breed wouldn't grab the headlines in the same way. Why is it that the staffy is always hitting the headlines for the wrong reasons? Considering how popular the breed is, it's very uncommon to find a nasty one, as we all know they're very friendly, people loving dogs!
dizzy
dizzy
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Dodger
Dog(s) Ages : 3 years
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 41

Back to top Go down

Popular Breed? Empty Re: Popular Breed?

Post by Mistys Mum Thu May 19 2016, 11:08

Lovely to hear about Dodge getting all this attention!!
Yes I've been following this story, several things don't ring true to me. Evidently the dog went on a rampage for 45 minutes attacking children?? There were houses all around the park but no one saw or stopped it? There was supposed to be a lady who came in with the dog I who was on lead and muzzled, she removed the muzzle and took him off lead. This all sounds very suspicious, evidently the dog only stopped when a dad tackled him when he saw what was going on.
Why then did it take 45 mins for a dad to see what was happening?

It's my own personal belief that a dog doesn't bite unless it is scared or provoked. A lot of stories come out about dog bites but the background is the dog hasn't been fed in days or people were hurting the dog. Sorry but I'd react exactly the same way if I was being hurt.

I wonder if the truth will come out about this ' frenzied 45 minute attack'

Last edited by Mistys Mum on Thu May 19 2016, 11:10; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I like to spell dog as dig)

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Popular Breed? B110
Mistys Mum
Mistys Mum
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Misty
Dog(s) Ages : 16 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 523

Back to top Go down

Post by Mistys Mum Thu May 19 2016, 12:58

Hmmm just seen updated news story and picture of the dog. I will say a lot of these so called bites are just scratches and not actual bites.

Popular Breed? B110
Mistys Mum
Mistys Mum

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Misty
Dog(s) Ages : 16 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 523

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Thu May 19 2016, 14:10

Saw this on the News lunchtime and it certainly looks like a Staffy Sad

I suspect that most injuries are superficial but they did say that two were in hospital and one will need a skin graft which is terrible in anyones books. I can't quiet understand events though as the play area appeared to be fenced off from the rest of the park so how did the dog get in there ?

They describe the dog as tearing around (which I would take as Zoomies to us) which would indicate that the dog was in a very heightened state

I also don't think it was 45 mins, however, it must have been terrifying for the kids involved Sad

Popular Breed? B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 19 2016, 14:55

It does sound awful. Even if the injuries were minor it must have been terrifying. Without knowing the details it's impossible to say what happened but it does sound like over excitement that tipped into something out of control. I feel very sorry for the kids, the parents and, of course, the dog who will no doubt pay the ultimate price for his owner's carelessness/stupidity.

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Fri May 20 2016, 10:03

from what i can make out, it wasn't 45 minutes (although it might've seemed that long to those involved).

the dog was being walked by a 12 year old girl. she removed the muzzle & let the dog off the lead IN the play area - for what reason, i don't know! what IS known, though, is that the dog has bitten before & that's why it was muzzle, and it's well known in the area.

the father who tackled the dog wasn't at the play area, he was at home & one of the kids ran to his home to tell him - he came straight out & managed to sit on (his words) the dog & tied a jumper around it & to the railings.

there seem to be several anomalies to this report & i don't think we'll know what really happened until the hysteria has died down a bit.

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by ClareGilby Sat May 21 2016, 12:45

I don't ever read this stuff anymore, I used to but its upsetting. There are a lot more aggressive other breeds around, and no way should a dog that has been aggressive previously and needs muzzling be walked by a child. What are the owners thinking. They should be prosecuted.

Unfortunately an isolated incident will now make our lovely dogs look like the bad guys.
ClareGilby
ClareGilby

Status Status :

Support total : 24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down