Goblin
stella
AussieStaff
-Ian-
Rachel33
funkyrimpler
11 posters

Go down

ears - Puppies Ears! Empty Puppies Ears!

Post by funkyrimpler Mon Mar 28 2016, 12:39

Hi guys,
My puppy is now coming up to 9 months and his ears have started to get 'fly away'..until recently he had lovely half prick ears but now they're starting to look a bit daft, particularly his left ear...I've read online that various people have used micropore tape to encourage the ears to develop to standard, or copydex...But this is usually recommended during teething when calcium is being diverted to teeth and the ear cartilage has softened...
My lad is 9 months now, so would he be too old? He's a pure bred dog with an excellent pedigree...both parents have lovely ears...Will they settle back down?
I'd like to sort his ears out if possible (even though lots of people will not doubt tell me how 'cute' it looks), because it makes him look like a mutt and in future i'd like to consider showing him or using him as a stud dog....
I'll also be contacting the breeder to see what she advises..
Any advice would be great.
funkyrimpler
funkyrimpler
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Spike/Spud/Spudley/Potato
Dog(s) Ages : 11 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Boy
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

ears - Puppies Ears! Empty Re: Puppies Ears!

Post by Rachel33 Mon Mar 28 2016, 15:06

I think most dogs go through odd growth stages so they may settle back down.. Or they may not. What will be will be. Honestly.. I don't breed/show and I couldn't care less how my dog looks (she is a "mutt" Wink ) so I couldn't be of any help to you. I'd imagine taping a dogs ears would cause discomfort though Sad
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 28 2016, 15:09

I'm sorry, but I find this a bit worrying. Maybe that's because I have 'mutts' and because I believe in loving dogs for what they are inside, rather than for what they happen to look like. I would not in a million years be considering using Copydex on a dog's ears!

And... if I was the sort of person who would only buy a puppy from a parent with ears that looked a particular way, I wouldn't be impressed to find that they'd been created that certain way after the event.

So please, leave them alone and just be happy to have a lovely healthy friend.

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Mon Mar 28 2016, 15:13

I would be surprised if people that show their Staffies try to alter the ears. I've seen many a pup on here that has had huge floppy ears only to grow into them and look completely Stafford like once mature.

I would be very dubious as to whether micropore tape would have the desired effect anyway, wouldn't the ear just grow anyway i dont know

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

ears - Puppies Ears! B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by AussieStaff Mon Mar 28 2016, 15:47

I have a purebred i got at 8wks. His ears were perky then grew floppy and looked 'daft', at 2.5yrs he definately has nice pointy ears so pls don't alter them give him time to develop and you will prob see them change. If he comes from amazing looking parents he's in with a good chance surely. He's only a puppy remember!! Let nature take its course!!
AussieStaff
AussieStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Global Mod
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Global Mod

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Koda
Dog(s) Ages : 15/10/13
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 450

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Mon Mar 28 2016, 19:17

when they are pups their ears do all sort of crazy things,i'm sure they will sort themselves out in time Smile
stella
stella

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by funkyrimpler Mon Mar 28 2016, 20:57

Cheers folks...I spoke to the breeder and she told me that 'a lot of breeders' of many different breeds use various methods to correct their dogs ears...In German Shepherds and Collies for instance it's very common for them to support them so that they stay upright...
I've also learned that A LOT of people who show dogs tape their ears a few days before a show then remove them..The effects last for a few days after apparently...Taping isn't uncomfortable apparently as it isn't supposed to tight, it's either to support the ear or to stop it from standing up depending on the breed...
I'd still love him, even if he three ears but i just wanted some feedback...I'd hate for him to have daft, sticky up ears, (because he sooOOo handsome) but i'd just start calling him Lugs instead...
funkyrimpler
funkyrimpler

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Spike/Spud/Spudley/Potato
Dog(s) Ages : 11 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Boy
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Goblin Mon Mar 28 2016, 22:49

Technically taping would count as bending or cheating the rules of non-interference that shows are supposed to enforce. The intent is supposed to be to breed away from 'faults' such as german shepherds with floppy ears, instead of faking it by taping the ears up.
Goblin
Goblin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Gizmo
Dog(s) Ages : 01/05/2014
Dog Gender(s) : boy
Support total : 82

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Tue Mar 29 2016, 07:48

Wow.. So this is common practice?? And.. this is why I am involved in rescue rather than breeding! I'm just thankful that my not to standard staffie with big ears is now happy and healthy after years of torment from her breeders and winding up in a rescue centre.
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 29 2016, 08:53

funkyrimpler wrote:I've also learned that A LOT of people who show dogs tape their ears a few days before a show then remove them.. Taping isn't uncomfortable apparently as it isn't supposed to tight, it's either to support the ear or to stop it from standing up depending on the breed...

A LOT of people hit horses with whips. Many of those people, especially in the racing world, will tell you it doesn't hurt, even though there is evidence to the contrary. People will believe what they want and will justify doing what will get them the result they are after, especially if there is a prize at the end of it. That doesn't make it right to follow their example.

Before you go and tape your dog's ears, please promise me you'll do the same to yourself first. Tape your own ears down for a couple of days (don't worry, it won't be uncomfortable). You'll have to do it to yourself as I doubt if you'll find anyone else to let you do it to them.

As I said elsewhere, talking about Crufts and the sad, deformed dogs who where shown AND WON, I would love to ban showing and breeding for looks. Think about it, if they admit to the practise you describe, just imagine what they do that they don't admit to? Poor dogs.

(ps - I love Bug's ears!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Tue Mar 29 2016, 09:57

To me crufts has to be one of the worst shows on the planet accept your dog however they may seem ( maybe thats why I have a mutt!) . dogs like people have their faults . I don't see how taking your dog to a show to see how spectacular they are is so important to the point you may be willing to temporarily or otherwise fix your dog so it may seem perfect to others . people on this forum have turned their dogs lives around most people would be proud of nobody expects recognition for this and they should mutts and all and lovely they are too. Smile

ears - Puppies Ears! B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by Mistys Mum Tue Mar 29 2016, 10:21

People are not perfect so why should we expect our dogs to be. We all have flaws, I know I do otherwise I'd would be walking the catwalk now instead of stuck in an office  I think my girl is absolutely perfect the way she is, I'd never try to change any part of her unless it was for a health reason.

What makes a dog perfect is their intelligence and kindness, so what if they have big ears or a big tail etc, this doesn't affect the important part of them. You have a loyal friend and companion, don't try to change something that is perfectly natural.

Last edited by Mistys Mum on Tue Mar 29 2016, 10:23; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

ears - Puppies Ears! B110
Mistys Mum
Mistys Mum

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Misty
Dog(s) Ages : 16 months
Support total : 523

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Tue Mar 29 2016, 20:14

This kind of talk is why I prefer dogs to people. Why anyone would think its okay to tape a dogs ears is beyond me! Anyone prepared to do that shouldn't be allowed to own a dog.
Debs01
Debs01

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down

Post by kozmos Wed Mar 30 2016, 00:36

plenty on the subject of 'ears' here :
https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/search?search_keywords=ears

one post here suggests an ear massage ..
https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t60882-odd-ears?highlight=ears

is the ear-shape a genetic thing ?
if so .. taping or glue'ing the ears won't change the offsprings ears ..

not keen on the idea myself .. the glu'ing or taping
but .. is it any worse than a child having to wear braces on their teeth ? ( just a thought )
ok .. it's usually for proper 'bite' purposes ..
even so ..
on the other hand .. doggy don't understand why his or her ears are being glued or taped ..
whereas child usually understand the reason for teeth-braces .. ( i.e. if such devices are still used today )

think the ear-massage idea be kinder ..

odd .. my Lady has pricked ears ..
but when she goes for a swim .. ( er .. IF she goes for a .. ) then her right ear flops down like a regular staffy's ear .. looks like she has a split personality ..
i quite like her pricked ears .. be what natural 'wild dogs' have .. no doubt a survival advantage in the hearing-locating department ..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
kozmos
kozmos
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
ears - Puppies Ears! Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lady
Support total : 49

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Wed Mar 30 2016, 10:27

it is a fairly common practice in dog showing, but that doesn't mean it's right. a pup's ears change regularly over the first year or so, so a 9 month pup isn't yet the 'finished article'. however, if they stay as they are, would you sell your dog on and buy another more 'perfect' one? I would doubt it - or at least hope not!

although it's common practice in ALL show fields (not just dogs) to 'adjust' certain parts of an animal's anatomy it's still cheating. if someone wants to win at all costs, then maybe they should grow & show vegetables instead of having a pet.

not aimed at you, I hasten to add - just to those who look at dogs as an extension of their own vanity.

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down