Buying a new dog

5 posters

Go down

Buying a new dog Empty Buying a new dog

Post by deuce22 Wed Jul 22 2015, 10:31

Hi.

I am thinking of buying a new dog and would like a blue Staffordshire bull terrier. I already own a SBT and he is 9 years old.

He is a pretty big Staff (23 kilo's), but I'm not sure if this is a good thing, as I don't know if it was too heavy for the breed. Somebody told me they shouldn't be heavier than 20 kilo's unless they're mixed with a larger dog.

When I bought the dog I have now, I didn't do any research and wasn't sure what I should be looking for. I paid £400 and was told that I would receive KC papers, but I didn't. I'm not really sure if getting the papers is really important. I've looked at some adverts and people are giving 2 different prices, 1 for papers and another without.

I recently saw a Blue Staff and he had a very large head (which is the exact thing that I'm looking for). I've looked at images on the net and have noticed a wide range of looking Staffs. I initially thought that it was the difference between male and female, but it is not.

Somebody told me that it is the difference between countries (American, irish), but I'm not exactly sure. I've searched for different types, but they all seem the same. Some have narrower heads with long muzzles, but I'm looking for one with a thicker head and shorter muzzle (more of a male looking dog).

My main priority is that it comes from a good bloodline with minimal health problems.

Can someone please tell me what I need to be looking for.

Thanks.

deuce22
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Buying a new dog Empty Re: Buying a new dog

Post by Mia05 Wed Jul 22 2015, 11:03

First of all the person that sold you the dog should have given you papers otherwise they are breeding dogs illegally . Its not just the outside appearance you have to worry about its the dogs health and well being one dog if you are just starting out is manageable 2 can be a handful id think long and hard before you get another dog Smile

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Buying a new dog B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Wed Jul 22 2015, 11:49

Hello!

I'll try to help with your questions Smile, the weight of your staffy now probably means he's a cross-breed, I think most pure bred staffies are between 13-17kg Smile

There is no such thing as Irish or King or any other kind of staffy, there is only one, the good old Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Any adverts with the words "Irish" and such in it use those names to sell their puppies for more money and these people are usually backyard breeders, avoid them at all costs as they would more than likely not have health checked the parents and they will more than likely produce cross-breeds.

KC papers prove that your puppy is a pure bred Staffordshire Bull Terrier and you would need to buy a pup from a registered breeder to get the KC papers which means that they do everything by the book as far as their dogs are concerned so produce good healthy puppies.

The different head sizes and nose shapes you talk about are cross-breed dogs, there's nothing wrong with them I have one myself but if that's what you are after I would suggest going to Battersea or another dog's home as there's plenty in there that are desperately in need of a home!
Debs01
Debs01

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 22 2015, 12:29

Spot on, Debs!

The 'I'll send on the paperwork' is an old ruse, by the way. It translates as 'I'll make you think there is paperwork when in fact the closest this dog has been to any sort of paper is probably a copy of last week's Sun that I used to line the bitch's crate'.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dogface Wed Jul 22 2015, 12:30

I agree with much of the above. If your staff doesn't have papers then it isn't a pedigree, by definition. That shouldn't be looked on as a bad thing in itself as being a pedigree doesn't guarantee anything other than a record of bloodline. It certainly doesn't guarantee good health. Specific health checks are always needed to eliminate the risk of certain issues, pedigree or no.

Also, check out the breeder thoroughly. Most KC breeders are responsible but not all - I know that from experience (not a Staffie breeder in this case but another breed, who keeps his dogs in terrible conditions very similar to a puppy farm).

In terms of size, the breed standard is 13 - 17Kg for a male, slightly less for a female. That doesn't mean 17Kg is the maximum weight, of course. Bo is KC registered and 17Kg at 21 months but some of his bloodline are huge, 22 - 24Kg lean weight. It is true, though, that Staffies larger than this are very likely to have some other breed in them from somewhere down the line. The other week a bloke said to me, "Oh, your dog's tiny. I've got two Staffies and they're twice that size." I saw his two 'Staffies' the week after - basically two Boxers with maybe 20% Staffie.

If / when I get another dog I'd go for a rescue. The only reason I went for a KC-registered puppy was so, as it was my first dog, I could get the support of the breeders if I needed it, and I'd have the backup of knowing the behaviour traits of the parents and the dog's genuine history.
Dogface
Dogface
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Support total : 124

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 22 2015, 14:38

Dogface wrote:The only reason I went for a KC-registered puppy was so, as it was my first dog, I could get the support of the breeders if I needed it, and I'd have the backup of knowing the behaviour traits of the parents and the dog's genuine history.

Sorry, but that made me laugh. We bought a KC registered retriever 20 odd years ago, lovely people who were happy for us to meet their dogs and show us books full of paperwork. They were very picky about who the sold to, they said, as the wellbeing off all the dogs they produced was paramount. Yeah, right.

Mung developed OCD (osteochondrosis dissecans) when he was about 9 months old, which turned to chronic arthritis for the rest of his life. When the vet advised that the most likely cause was genetic, we called this lovely breeder to let them know so that they would be able to remove the bitch and dog from future breeding. 'It's not come from one of our dogs,' was their reply. Oh, right. So whose dog was it from? We weren't after our money back, we loved our little boy to bits, but we wanted to try and prevent more puppies being born that were never able to chase or run on hard surfaces, or who had to spend a life on medication. But they simply didn't want to know.

Mind you, these were the same caring breeders who sold a puppy to live in a tower block, where it apparently chewed up the kitchen floor in frustration at the lack of exercise.

So much for breeder support. At the end of the day, I wouldn't buy from a smart breeder again. Lots of words, lots of £ signs, lots of prancing around being holier than thou, but at the end of the day no better than a mutt off the street.

Back to top Go down

Post by deuce22 Wed Jul 22 2015, 16:25

Thanks for the advice all.

This is the 3rd dog I've owned and up until 2 years ago, there were always 2 together. I'm not concerned about the extra dog as I never had any issues in the past.

I was thinking of getting a rescue dog, but I'm a bit unsure of having that type of breed around my family in case he has behaviour problems.

I'll keep looking and try to get some more info.

Thanks.

deuce22

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 22 2015, 17:09

Don't be put off getting a rescue staffie! If you go to a reputable rescue centre and take your time, you should be able to find a lovely staffie that is as as safe with your family as any other breed would be. And if you end up with something that's not a staffie but that suits your family, then that's great too. I don't know what they're like near you, but a lot of rescue centres here, including the one I volunteer for, would arrange for a foster for a few weeks to make sure everyone's happy before signing on the dotted line, and will always take a dog back if it's not working out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Wed Jul 22 2015, 17:18

Sometimes a rescue staffy is better you don't have the expense of neutering and vaccinations etc Smile

Buying a new dog B310
Mia05
Mia05

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Wed Jul 22 2015, 19:27

17Kg is the top weight for a male and the head should be wedge shaped with the eyes wide apart and looking straight ahead. I gleaned those gems from a book as I'm no expert Laughing

I'm glad you've considered a rescue as this can also give you a better insight into how the dog will mature. Granted, you won't know the full history but it's highly unlikely that a decent rescue centre will re home a Staffy that shows any aggression. KC papers only really come in to it if you plan on breeding in the future and I agree with the others that there are some very dubious breeders out there that will charge a premium price for pedigree pups when in reality they probably aren't.

Good luck with your search and do let us know how you get on Smile

Buying a new dog B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down