Jenc
-Ian-
Mistys Mum
funkyrimpler
10 posters

Go down

End of a 20 year friendship Empty End of a 20 year friendship

Post by funkyrimpler Tue Apr 07 2015, 11:30

I'll cut this long story short, but basically a friend of mine ended up inheriting his ex partners Staffie...His name was Tyson (shame on you )..and i was growing more and more concerned about how my 'mate' was treated, or should i say , neglecting the dog. For instance, i noticed that he had been locking him in a very small utility room (much to his denials), empty water bowl, under fed, locked outside for most of the time, no proper bed or place of his own, no toys of any description...etc etc
Over time i gently raised my concerns and gave a few gentle hints about how to look after a SBT..I'm not an animal psychologist but have grown up with them in the family since the 80's...I mentioned the importance of play, mental stimulation etc etc..He gave all this rubbish about how the dog wasn't interested in chew toys and all the rest of it..Then there was his general stupidity and ignorance..ie: Bonfire night, he had the dog outside because it was annoying him with the panting and anxiety (errr DUH??)..Then when he allowed the dog back indoors he was hyper...I turned up that night and his was shouting and screaming at the dog (who made a bee line for me as i always gave him cuddles and fun)...so i told my mate to calm down and explained how stupid he was..Had he ever heard of FIREWORKS??? Then to kick the dog OUTSIDE?? and not expect an anxious dog?? This is the type of moron he is..
The final straw came when i went to see him unannounced (because i'd noticed that when he knew i was coming there would be water in the bowl, no evidence in the utility room etc)...Sure enough Tyson was outside sitting by the back door, as usual...patches of worn grass in the garden where he had been pacing...No water or food, no proper bed...I was fuming, but played it cool, instead i let him in (he was hyper of course) and gave him a raw hide bone to chew on...He was Mr. Happy! His tail was pointed up in the air and he bounced into the utility room with his present..My heart ached for him.."I thought he didn't like chewing?" I asked...no reply was forth coming.
I went in to see the little man and he instantly cowered and let go of the bone..heart ache again..but i gave him another gift, a tug toy!
He didn't know if he was coming or going he was so excited..so we had a game of tug in the kitchen whilst matey boy made a cup of tea.
The deal breaker was when, a little later we were in the front room (a place obviously out of bounds, like 99% of the house) and my 'friend' started shouting and yelling at him to 'get off the rug' literally because ONE of his hind legs was outstretched and touching it...He got hold of him and held him down..It was at this point that i got hold of HIM and told to get the **** off the dog....
The following day, after much brooding and a sleepless night i went up to my local RSPCA and explained everything to them.
I then called Mr. Stupid and said i was concerned about Tyson.."Not my dog" were literally the first words out of his mouth...With my teeth grinding, i explained his legal duty of care, and that he should either give the dog back to his ex or offer him up for adoption ( i would have adopted him but i could not at the time), or as a last resort take him to the Rescue..At this point he hung up..So i called back (phone went straight to answerphone of course..) and left a string of voice mail messages explaining in detail, what kind of person he had shown himself to be, that the ownership of a dog reveals a persons' true colours, he wasn't the type of person i wanted in my life, and that i would be keeping an eye on his treatment of the dog and having a little chat with his neighbours..If he was unhappy about any of this then by all means, pop round and pay me a visit..Needless to say, i haven't heard anything since...and this was about 8 weeks ago..
I really hope that the dog doesn't end up in a rescue, but rather back with his former owner..I think that my ex friend literally didn't have the first clue on how to care for anyone, anything other than himself, and also took out his anger at the relationship failure on the poor old mutt....
Sorry for the rambling post, this isn't even the half of it, but i had to get it off my chest with people who understand...
funkyrimpler
funkyrimpler
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Spike/Spud/Spudley/Potato
Dog(s) Ages : 11 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Boy
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

End of a 20 year friendship Empty Re: End of a 20 year friendship

Post by Mistys Mum Tue Apr 07 2015, 11:38

People like this should never ever be allowed any animal again. I hope he gets prosecuted for animal cruelty. You did the right thing by reporting him. It's nice to know that little staffy had someone who looked out for him. I dread to think what would happen if you were not involved. I hope the little baby has gone back to the ex owner but even if he is now in a rescue I still believe he is better there then in a home where he is abused.
Mistys Mum
Mistys Mum
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Misty
Dog(s) Ages : 16 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 523

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Tue Apr 07 2015, 19:18

Would I be right in saying that the ex wanted the dog but he wouldn't let her take him ?... Sounds like this fella has control issues big time. Well done for stepping in, I just hope the dog gets a better life and this guy does the right thing Sad

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

End of a 20 year friendship B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Tue Apr 07 2015, 19:58

Good for you, I would of had to do something. Lets hope he finds a loving home he deserves it Smile

Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Tue Apr 07 2015, 20:15

poor dog id have done exactly the same in your position with more than a few choice phrases to boot.

End of a 20 year friendship B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by KITA90 Tue Apr 07 2015, 20:41

That poor poor dog, all it wants is love, is that so hard to give? Well done in stepping in and at least trying to explain what having a dog entails. You did as much as you could and im sure you would have taken him yourself if you could, you sound like a very caring person who had lots of time for giving that dog care and attention. Fingers crossed he's gone to a shelter or a caring home End of a 20 year friendship 3198918699
KITA90
KITA90
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Shéara & Mollie
Dog(s) Ages : Sheara 9, Mollie 8
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 81

Back to top Go down

Post by funkyrimpler Tue Apr 07 2015, 23:09

thanks for the responses..you don't the half of it, but i've got no regrets..I REALLY don't want a person like that in my life...I think he kept the dog partly to prove to his ex what a nice guy he was by taking care of him whilst she was getting her life together, but more as a vehicle to keep in touch with her...
It shows how breath takingly stupid he was when he either didn't care about, or couldn't put 2+2 together about the bonfire night thing..The bloke is an absolute ****, and i'm glad to be done with him.
funkyrimpler
funkyrimpler

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Fri Apr 10 2015, 18:54

Do you know what's happened to the dog?
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rupert
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

Post by funkyrimpler Sat Apr 11 2015, 23:51

i don't mate, i'll do a bit of snooping.
funkyrimpler
funkyrimpler

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dogface Sun Apr 12 2015, 15:33

Well done for stepping in. Let's hope it works out for the dog and he gets the owner he deserves, not that scumbag.
Dogface
Dogface
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Support total : 124

Back to top Go down

Post by Inez Maria Sun Apr 12 2015, 19:16

Well done you! hope to hear good news of the dog Smile

Inez Maria
Inez Maria

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Vinnie
Dog(s) Ages : 11/08/2011
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 2596

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Mon Apr 13 2015, 09:08

Yeah I am hoping to hear that the staffie is / has not been hurt since???
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down