Buster had his second jab today!

5 posters

Go down

Buster had his second jab today! Empty Buster had his second jab today!

Post by Busterr Thu Dec 11 2014, 10:13

So today we took Buster for his second jab, didn't even yelp. He's also 6.2kg at 10 weeks getting bigger by the day Laughing
We walked back home and normally I carry him as he won't walk on the lead and plus he didn't have his injections but he's getting heavy to carry all the way home, my arms started hurting so I decided to let him walk on his lead, at first he didn't want to but then he was loving it although every time he seen a car drive past he would stop and be scared, guess with time he will get use to it though.
Busterr
Busterr
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Buster
Dog(s) Ages : 30/09/2014
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Buster had his second jab today! Empty Re: Buster had his second jab today!

Post by goldie87 Thu Dec 11 2014, 10:29

Ah I remember those days! Cherish them while you can lol.

And yes, Buster will get used to it. Zeus was hard work when we first started to take him out, he wouldn't move, was scared of everything and anything, especially cars!

The key was, not to pet them too much when they're like that, just act normal and that will emphasize the fact that there's nothing to be afraid of.
goldie87
goldie87
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Busterr Thu Dec 11 2014, 10:32

goldie87 wrote:Ah I remember those days! Cherish them while you can lol.

And yes, Buster will get used to it. Zeus was hard work when we first started to take him out, he wouldn't move, was scared of everything and anything, especially cars!

The key was, not to pet them too much when they're like that, just act normal and that will emphasize the fact that there's nothing to be afraid of.
Thanks that's what I did, I didn't even realize that he was scared until we was nearly home I thought he was just stopping because he isn't used to walking on the lead but then I started realizing he would only stop when a car was going past.
He comes when I call him (most of the time) so I will just call him when a car goes past.
Busterr
Busterr

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Thu Dec 11 2014, 11:59

Exactly, distraction techniques are very effective. If you find it's getting too hard or it's not working, maybe carry some cheese or something that he really likes with you, that'll get him moving!
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynn&Pete Thu Dec 11 2014, 12:57

Is there a park or track where you can walk him? Our pup was like that with motorbikes, but before we knew it she wasn't fussed.
Pete
Lynn&Pete
Lynn&Pete
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Boson
Dog(s) Ages : May 2017
Support total : 262

Back to top Go down

Post by Busterr Thu Dec 11 2014, 12:59

Lynn&Pete wrote:Is there a park or track where you can walk him? Our pup was like that with motorbikes, but before we knew it she wasn't fussed.
Pete
Well yea there are a lot of parks where I can walk him but there will be other dogs and vets told us to wait another week before we let him see other dogs.
I walk him in the garden and around the house sometimes on the lead so he gets used to it, he's getting there he thinks it's a game but he will run instead of walking and trips me up all the time Laughing
Busterr
Busterr

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynn&Pete Thu Dec 11 2014, 13:18

I don't know how many times I've looked like I'm doing the funky chicken dance while trying to avoid standing on the pup!
You're doing the right thing by practising in the garden.
Pete
Lynn&Pete
Lynn&Pete

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Thu Dec 11 2014, 15:22

Busterr wrote:I walk him in the garden and around the house sometimes on the lead so he gets used to it, he's getting there he thinks it's a game but he will run instead of walking and trips me up all the time Laughing

You're doing everything exactly right, what I also done in the time when Zeus had his jabs and couldn't go out was to just hold him in my arms and walk the route that I intended to walk him once hes allowed to just so he gets used to his surroundings.
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Thu Dec 11 2014, 16:53

Reassure the dog on the walk and relax your body and keep your voice calm and even. I personally wouldnt carry the dog as he will wonder what else he can get away with. Also if hes at a spot usually he would be anxious aboit if he walks calmly plenty praise this way he will associate that area with good things

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Buster had his second jab today! B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by DebsNZ Thu Dec 11 2014, 17:30

He will get there Smile Ruby has her second jab next week at 11 weeks, shes the same she hasnt been out yet apart from being carried if i have too, she too gets frightened at the littlest of things, but when were able to take them out properly it will get better, they will get used to it Smile
DebsNZ
DebsNZ
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ruby
Dog(s) Ages : Born 2nd October 2014
Support total : 27

Back to top Go down

Post by Busterr Thu Dec 11 2014, 17:32

Mia05 wrote:Reassure the dog on the walk and relax your body and keep your voice calm and even.  I personally wouldnt carry the dog as he will wonder what else he can get away with.  Also if hes at a spot usually he would be anxious aboit if he walks calmly plenty praise this way he will associate that area with good things
]
He's only 10 weeks old, so the first time I took him out at 8 weeks old to the vets I wasn't going to let him walk on the lead, as he didn't even know what a lead was and wouldn't walk at all and in the rain it's a little frustrating on his first day at home to be forcing him to walk when he has no clue what he has to do, that's why I carried him.. I let him walk on his lead on the way back today though as we got a taxi there.

I'm wondering if I can walk him around my state though even if he's not able to meet other dogs? It wouldn't do him any harm would it? The vets told me to wait till next thursday to let him out and meet other dogs but I'm not 100% sure if this means I can't take him out at all? It would be good if I could to get him use to walking on the lead and noises etc.
Busterr
Busterr

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Busterr Thu Dec 11 2014, 17:34

DebsNZ wrote:He will get there Smile Ruby has her second jab next week at 11 weeks, shes the same she hasnt been out yet apart from being carried if i have too, she too gets frightened at the littlest of things, but when were able to take them out properly it will get better, they will get used to it Smile
Aww bless her, time seems to be going so fast though I wish I knew more people around my area with dogs I'm thinking of going to some puppy classes just so he can meet other dogs and know how to behave as he plays a little rough.
Busterr
Busterr

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by DebsNZ Thu Dec 11 2014, 17:41

Yeah i dont know anyone with dogs either!! i just cant wait till shes had her last shot , she comes everywhere with me in the car and carried around lol.Just want to get her socializing asap. Smile Puppy classes maybe a go?? i live in a small rural town and i havent found anything nearby.
DebsNZ
DebsNZ

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Busterr Thu Dec 11 2014, 17:50

DebsNZ wrote:Yeah i dont know anyone with dogs either!! i just cant wait till shes had her last shot , she comes everywhere with me in the car and carried around lol.Just want to get her socializing asap. Smile  Puppy classes maybe a go?? i live in a small rural town and i havent found anything nearby.
I live in a small town too but luckily there's some dog classes just down the road Smile
I can't wait to let him go socialize either just up the road there's a massive field where dogs go, so I will be there next thursday Laughing just have to buy a long lead for him so he doesn't run away after some dog and end up with me having to chase him around the field Laughing
Busterr
Busterr

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynn&Pete Thu Dec 11 2014, 18:33

Personally I would wait a few days then take him out. Just be extra careful what he tries to pick up. He will try to pick up everything and I mean everything!! Take him up and down the street 4 or 5 times a day all on the lead. If you use dry food, use it for his walking treats but remember to take it from his daily amount.
The more you teach him to walk properly on the lead, the better he'll be off it. Wait a couple of weeks before you give him too much freedom, and don't make a big thing of him being released. Like you say, long line him, but take him to the field and gradually feed the line out then eventually you'll have the confidence to just drop it.
Pete
Lynn&Pete
Lynn&Pete

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by DebsNZ Thu Dec 11 2014, 18:36

haha yeah they are fast when they want to be!! i have a young cat, they are getting to know each other now after 2 weeks but as soon as she runs Rubys off trying to chase , i just keep her on a longish lead when im outside all the time!! staffys are known for chasing, my old staff girl i used to have was like that.
DebsNZ
DebsNZ

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Busterr Thu Dec 11 2014, 22:55

Lynn&Pete wrote:Personally I would wait a few days then take him out. Just be extra careful what he tries to pick up. He will try to pick up everything and I mean everything!! Take him up and down the street 4 or 5 times a day all on the lead. If you use dry food, use it for his walking treats but remember to take it from his daily amount.
The more you teach him to walk properly on the lead, the better he'll be off it. Wait a couple of weeks before you give him too much freedom, and don't make a big thing of him being released. Like you say, long line him, but take him to the field and gradually feed the line out then eventually you'll have the confidence to just drop it.
Pete
He doesn't really try to pick up anything off the floor when I walk him on the lead, well I only walked him today from the vets back home that's why I was thinking maybe take him around my state because my garden isn't that big to train him to walk nicely on the lead.
He just thinks it's a game when he's on the lead and runs in front of me and then looks back as if to say "where is my treat?" Laughing

Since I never had a puppy I watch a lot of youtube videos on how to train puppies the basics etc Big Grin
Busterr
Busterr

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down