HELP

5 posters

Go down

Star HELP

Post by Shona420 Thu Aug 21 2014, 15:52

Hi Everyone,
I need help with my boy Alfie, he suddenly turned dog aggressive. He has been around dogs his whole life, plays with them, even when dogs barked and growled at him he would just walk past them as if they were invisable. Untill last week, he bit a dog and pinned it down, no harm to both dogs were done. I wasnt there, my stepdad was walking him. Apparently Alfie didnt have a reason to bite the other dog. Both Alfie and the other dog were off lead, the dog came running up to Alfie which is usually fine. Anyway everyday since then he has growled and acts like he wants to attack most dogs he sees. He also lives with a female dog, who he grew up around, and today he had a fight with her, and nipped my boyfriend by mistake when he broke it up. Im distraught!! Iv been so proud of him, and how friendly he is, untill this week,he has done a complete turn around. He has just turned 1. Please help, with it only starting this week im hoping i can bring him back to his normal self.
Shona420
Shona420
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Amber and Alfie
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years old and 8 months old
Dog Gender(s) : Female and Male
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Star Re: HELP

Post by stella Thu Aug 21 2014, 16:01

at his age,he may well be going through the teenage years and pushing the boundries,try going back to some basic training with him again,whilst out walking keep him on lead or a long lead so if other dogs are around you can keep control of him,whilst at home make sure you keep him and amber apart when you are out,how did they start to fight,was it over food or toys ??
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 21 2014, 16:12

I agree wth Stella keep him on lead for a while whilst out, firm and try and use the sit and watch me command with a treat when other dogs approach I used to stand in front of Vin blocking his view, not that he has ever been like that. But that method is so handy for lots of situations xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Shona420 Thu Aug 21 2014, 16:16

I will buy some treats today and try it whilst out. Thanks, any advice is very appreciated, i really dont want Alfie to become aggressive, or end up with a muzzle it will break my heart.
Shona420
Shona420

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Amber and Alfie
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years old and 8 months old
Dog Gender(s) : Female and Male
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 21 2014, 16:22

Yes do try it, get something tasty you wouldnt normally give him. Obviously if he growls dont treat him, he will get it after a while, just hold the treat on the bridge of yer nose so you have his full attention x

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Aug 21 2014, 18:15

It could also be that Alfie may be in pain somewhere, are you able to feel all over his body to see if he may be hurting somewhere ?

To suddenly become aggressive is very unusual, there may well have been some kind of trigger that wasn't noticed at the time.

I would also keep Alfie on a lead until you are able to get to the bottom of why this happened. I am sure you wouldn't want any accidents to happen to him or another dog.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Thu Aug 21 2014, 22:54

Kathy wrote:It could also be that Alfie may be in pain somewhere, are you able to feel all over his body to see if he may be hurting somewhere ?

To suddenly become aggressive is very unusual, there may well have been some kind of trigger that wasn't noticed at the time.

I would also keep Alfie on a lead until you are able to get to the bottom of why this happened. I am sure you wouldn't want any accidents to happen to him or another dog.

Agree with this. Also if you have an older well socialized dog you could walk him with that may help
JStaff
JStaff

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Thu Aug 21 2014, 23:02

JStaff wrote:
Kathy wrote:It could also be that Alfie may be in pain somewhere, are you able to feel all over his body to see if he may be hurting somewhere ?

Agree with this.  Also if you have an older well socialized dog you could walk him with that may help
agree here too, great advice
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626