poor Mambo and his itchy ears :(

4 posters

Go down

ears - poor Mambo and his itchy ears :( Empty poor Mambo and his itchy ears :(

Post by spuker1 Thu Jun 09 2011, 23:45

our boy scratched his ears tonight so badly - one ear is very swollen and bleeding in few places because of how much he scratched it Sad we called 24h vet service, they recommended paracetamol for a night to relieve pain, so he hopefully won't be scratching his ears at night, and then we're going to the vets tomorrow morning...

we weren't sure about paracetamol though, hearing so many different opinions about it. but if vet says so, it should be ok. just in case, instead of 500mg we gave him 250 - he's skinny boy, it should be enough.

our sainsbury's insurance was bought on Mon,I'm afraid that we won't be able to use it yet, if the bill will be a bit higher...
spuker1
spuker1
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
ears - poor Mambo and his itchy ears :( Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Mambo
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 2

http://tsphotography.org

Back to top Go down

ears - poor Mambo and his itchy ears :( Empty Re: poor Mambo and his itchy ears :(

Post by Guest Fri Jun 10 2011, 00:41

oh, poor boy Sad

Good luck at the Vets and please keep us informed

Back to top Go down

ears - poor Mambo and his itchy ears :( Empty Re: poor Mambo and his itchy ears :(

Post by Guest Fri Jun 10 2011, 08:43

hope everyhting goes ok today for you, please let us know how you get on

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 10 2011, 09:33

I wouldn't use paracetamol without a vet's say so, but if a vet has said to use it, then you should be ok. It sounds like an infection so you should take a trip to the vets to be honest. I doubt very much if it will be above your excess in cost, so you wouldn't need to use the insurance anyway!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Fri Jun 10 2011, 09:58

I think it sounds like an infection too Sad

More eardrops are required!!!
Nosipho
Nosipho
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by spuker1 Fri Jun 10 2011, 11:39

Thanks for your concern Smile

We went to the vets this morning (Mambo got very excited about the cats-patients Wink )
it's either infection or allergy but rather infection. his scratching made everything worse, and that's why his ears are really painful now and swollen. he got some injection with antibiotics and steroids, and two types of ear drops to use. we will go back for the check next week.

he must have brought the infection with him from the shelter, his ears were already scabby when we got him (4 weeks today - little anniversary!) - one ear healed fine by itself, the problem is with the other one.

he's now sleeping calmly on the sofa, I'm making sure he's not scratching his ears any more - it looks like they're a bit painful still but hopefully the meds will start working soon .
spuker1
spuker1

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Jun 10 2011, 12:16

Moo is prone to ear infections, its a pain and as Caryl said its never over my excess for insurance tp pay out, usually about £60, and this seems to be every 3 months ish! Hope he is on the mend, the drops should clear it up very quickly x x
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 10 2011, 12:18

Aw, poor fella! I'm sure he's already feeling a bit better, the meds usually start to work really quickly.

Hope he's all healed up very soon!

If it happens in future, ask the veterinary nurse if you can have a prescription for the drops & then buy them on line - much cheaper.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 10 2011, 12:19

Oh poor baby, hope he's feeling better soon. kiss
The antibiotics and steroid injection should get the recovery ball rolling well and in 24-48 hours he should be almost back to normal, is he taking oral antibiotic tablets or only ear drops?

Back to top Go down

Post by spuker1 Fri Jun 10 2011, 12:42

only ear drops, two types.

I hope he will get better soon, I just can't look at his fat swollen ears Sad I just gave him a treat-bone so he can focus on it instead of scratching - will keep him busy for the next few hours Wink

I will keep you posted!

spuker1
spuker1

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 10 2011, 12:53

hope he is better soon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 10 2011, 13:12

spuker1 wrote:only ear drops, two types.

I hope he will get better soon, I just can't look at his fat swollen ears Sad I just gave him a treat-bone so he can focus on it instead of scratching - will keep him busy for the next few hours Wink

I will keep you posted!

One type is probably antibiotic. You are right keeping him focused on other things and hopefully prevent scratching for a while. It must be hard for him when you think about what we do to ourselves after a mossie bite or bee sting and we are supposed to know better. >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by spuker1 Fri Jun 10 2011, 20:48

trying to apply these ear drops is not easy Tongues wouldn't make it without a lot of treats ! Big Grin
spuker1
spuker1

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by youngkaiser Fri Jun 10 2011, 23:09

Kaiser had an ear infection a couple of months back he did the same with his cost me a fortune because had to keep going back he had tablets with antibiotic and steroids also two types of ear drops one is a clenser and the other they call the medical ear drops he will be on the mend soon
youngkaiser
youngkaiser

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Kaiser
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by spuker1 Sat Jun 11 2011, 00:14

I'm a bit concerned now, Mambo seems to have a fever and he drinks plenty of water... should I start to worry or is it normal after antibiotic shot and other meds he got?... Sad
spuker1
spuker1

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 11 2011, 03:06

Did the vet give you an idea of what to expect in the next day or so? If it is infected he may still have a few symptoms, I'd ring your vet and discuss your concerns if you are still worried.
It's good that he's drinking at least he wont get dehydrated.

Back to top Go down

Post by spuker1 Sat Jun 11 2011, 10:26

we called vet yesterday night, he explained that it's how Mambo's body deals with the illness and meds, so as long as he's drinking water it's ok.

we took him for a short walk at night when he got back he started chewing his bone (or what was left from it Smile ) so that was a good sign. he then went to sleep and this morning his ear is still swollen but much less than it was yesterday and his body temp seems normal.
he looked so miserable at night though...

we're probably overreacting, but you can never be too careful i guess...
spuker1
spuker1

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Jun 11 2011, 11:06

Aww glad he is feeling better Big Grin they do make us worry don't they x
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 11 2011, 11:52

I was the same with Izzy last weekend. She was off her food and unwell, if she was a human (even a bub or toddler) I'd feel ok if they were still managing to keep drinking or keep fluids down, yet for some reason I feel totally out of my depth when it comes to my fur babies confused
Glad he's slowly starting to improve and it's always a learning curve. One more thing to have under your belt for next time and don't worry I'd still ring the vet if I was unsure. thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 11 2011, 14:02

it is horrible when your dog isn't well.. I know, you feel so useless...

hope Mambo is well on the way to recovery..

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down