Overheated

3 posters

Go down

Overheated Empty Overheated

Post by Barry S Sun Jul 20 2014, 21:56

My wife did the race (walk lol) for life (a 5k cancer reserch fundraiser) today and took molly with her, it was about 21 degrees, overcast and humid.  After about 4k of walking during which mollys breathing had got heavier she collapsed unable to walk, luckily the mrs got word to me and I found her and took molly on to the beach and in the water, where she recovered in about 10 mins

Molly usually runs on the beach and when she gets hot or her breathing gets heavy she is straight into the sea to cool down, but today she didnt have that option.

further to this Mollys breathing has always been heavy during exercise since she was a pup (she is 20 months old now).

My wife recons Molly has asthma ! is that possible ? Molly was wheezing today (not the usual rasping) and very short of breath...  She told me later that she thought Molly was going to die.

I know you will say go to the vet but at a normal pace of life and on the beach molly is in perfect health (i you know what I mean) I thought I would ask here first to see what you thought.

Thank you for reading
Barry S
Barry S
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog(s) Ages : Born 14/11/12
Dog Gender(s) : F
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Overheated Empty Re: Overheated

Post by janey Sun Jul 20 2014, 22:38

Could just be the heat was too much, doing the run with Molly on lead - totally different when they can do what they want to do off lead Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Overheated Empty Re: Overheated

Post by -Ian- Mon Jul 21 2014, 01:00

It is possible that she has asthma. It could also be entirely possible that under all that fur she simply overheats. The weather recently has been very oppressive.

It might be that when on the beach she goes and cools off in the sea and all is fine.

I don't think there is a simple answer to your question. It could simply be that she's too hot or it could be that she has an underlying issue.

You know her best, and yes I will say it... If your really not happy with how she is, get the vet to check her out to be safe  Smile

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Overheated B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down