"Mummy, it's thunder, let's hide, quickly!"

+3
dazoldo
stella
jola139
7 posters

Go down

"Mummy, it's thunder, let's hide, quickly!" Empty "Mummy, it's thunder, let's hide, quickly!"

Post by jola139 Sun Jul 06 2014, 14:51

So, since last New Year Eve, Debo is scared of all types of bangs. Fireworks, gunshots, thunder....
And after really hot day ( over 30C ), we;re having thunder. Debo ended up in the place he hates the most - the bath. I've his blanky there and just let him be. What else can I do to help him?
jola139
jola139
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Debo
Dog(s) Ages : 7,5 yeras
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 106

Back to top Go down

"Mummy, it's thunder, let's hide, quickly!" Empty Re: "Mummy, it's thunder, let's hide, quickly!"

Post by stella Sun Jul 06 2014, 17:08

they do say not to make a fuss of them(easier said then done,some times)have you tried adaptil spray,i use it on sash firework season and it does work for her,poor debo  "Mummy, it's thunder, let's hide, quickly!" 3198918699 
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

"Mummy, it's thunder, let's hide, quickly!" Empty Re: "Mummy, it's thunder, let's hide, quickly!"

Post by Guest Sun Jul 06 2014, 17:09

Aww poor Debo. Have you tried any other calming methods like Rescue Remedy/thunder shirts etc?

Back to top Go down

Post by dazoldo Sun Jul 06 2014, 18:59

i use these www.petsathome.com/.../serene-um-cat-a.for tessas travel sickness and they are fantastic and they also work for all kinds of stress and anxiety

dazoldo
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : tessa
Dog(s) Ages : around 4 we think
Support total : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Sun Jul 06 2014, 19:10

At new years eve, we've tried some medication that the vet gave us. It did do much. It's shame, because he never was like that, it changed this year at new years eve. And now any loud bang noise will make him jump. Today, when the thunder came, he came for comfort, I didn't fuss him or any thing like that. Just gave him quick pat and in normal voice asked if he wants to play. He gave me that look "Really, nowAre you insane, I'm going back to the bath". I've put loud music on and he went to sleep in that bath. Bless him. I'm might try and get the thunder shirt, today he was really distressed, panting heavily.
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by dazoldo Sun Jul 06 2014, 19:15

i tried the thunder shirt for tessas travel sickness it didn't work but they are all different. i have it on ebay,the listing starts tuesday night if anyone is interested?

dazoldo

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : tessa
Dog(s) Ages : around 4 we think
Support total : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by Maggie1 Sun Jul 06 2014, 19:37

Mine are fine with loud noises. If the about ideas don't work you could try those CDs of noises like thunder to get your dog used to it.
Maggie1
Maggie1

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Maggie
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : F
Support total : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Sun Jul 06 2014, 19:42

Wow, Maggie, that's great idea. I'm gonna try that. It's funny because my OH plays lots of shooting playstation games, having them really loud, and they never boder Debo. I think he knows the different between real and fake one. Sometimes he's too smart for me. Ofcourse Debo, not my OH.
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Jul 06 2014, 20:13

Are you able to put the TV or radio on and turn up the volume a little to cover the noise a bit ?
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Sun Jul 06 2014, 22:43

jola139 wrote:Wow, Maggie, that's great idea. I'm gonna try that. It's funny because my OH plays lots of shooting playstation games, having them really loud, and they never boder Debo. I think he knows the different between real and fake one. Sometimes he's too smart for me. Ofcourse Debo, not my OH.

The vet gave me a desensitization DvD to play with fireworks, thunder, gunshots we did all the building up volume but he was fine just sat looking at the tv and new year etc I turn the tv up loud and he sits and watches Londons display drowning out what's going on outside he hadn't been too bad until think it was 27th December last year when we were on our 7pm walk and some got let off from a beer garden which we were right at the back of. Took me 3 months to get him to walk in the park in the dark again!

Tbh he has generally been ok with thunder but not tonight, didn't expect it so thunder shirt and adaptil spray were reactive so only a little improvement then didn't help my fella coming round so he has been a right attention pest. Might be time to give sedatives a try our end
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Cait Mon Jul 07 2014, 10:42

Pink did not like the thunder much either. She started barking at the sky way before the thunder got going.

I gave in after 20 minutes of insane staffy leaping up and down on my sofa, still recovering form a nasty chest infection so did not feel like gaffering a worried staff so I made her a stuffed kong to worry away at. [Small amount of fresh cottage cheese with liguid, one shredded fish4dogs fish skin jerky and half a slice of corned beef] She could not beleive her luck and settled behind the sofa whilst I sank down thankful for the lack of growls and woofs and being bounced about.

Hope you manage to find something that works for Debo, poor little lad does not sound like he enjoyed one minute of the storm.
Cait
Cait
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pink
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Support total : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Mon Jul 07 2014, 15:13

Kathy, I did put loud music on, that's what helped him fell a sleep in the bath. We live in the estate, so at the new years eve everyone was shooting fireworks, so afterwards it took us few days to take him outside for a walk, without makeing him.
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down