A new addition

3 posters

Go down

A new addition Empty A new addition

Post by debs0109 Sat Jul 05 2014, 20:36

Now Mia is approaching her 2nd birthday 21/7 me and hubby are thinking about a rescue. We have been looking around on various rescue websites and came across a lovely chap called Dillon. Was saved from being pts by the rescue centre. Anyway he went into foster care and we were due to go and see him over the weekend. But then he tore his crucial ligament playing and had to have a op. The vets did loads of X-rays and discovered that he had also done the same on his other leg which hadn't been treated and he had hip dysplasia. He's only about 2 ish. I was gutted to hear this as he looked and sounded the ideal dog for us. We are an active family and go walking alot on Dartmoor and around the beaches, woods etc where we live.
I am going to have a word with my vet on mon as I would be concerned about his exercise with the problems he has. The whole point of another dog was to fit in with our family the way it is and a companion/ playmate for Mia. Would appreciate what everyone's thoughts are on this. Thanks in advance
debs0109
debs0109
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
A new addition Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : MIA
Dog(s) Ages : 1 year 7 months
Dog Gender(s) : FEMALE
Support total : 52

Back to top Go down

A new addition Empty Re: A new addition

Post by Guest Sat Jul 05 2014, 20:59

I dont know much medically but if you do do a lot of walking perhaps a word with the vet is best. Good luck hope all will work out xx

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Jul 05 2014, 21:17

Its a tough one - never had to deal with hip dysplasia, Moo has arthritis and I do worry about her exersize and her over doing it - wish I could help more but the vets will advise and if they say limit exersize (which I would hope is not the case as we have had a few here that have had the op) , maybe consider an older rescue. Keep us updated Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynn&Pete Sat Jul 05 2014, 22:14

Hi there, reading your post brings it all back!
Our last Staffordshire, Floyd, ruptured his cruciate ligament at 4 years old. He had surgery to place a plastic ligament, and after a few weeks of recuperation, he didn't look back! We restricted his exercise with a flexi lead, but still took him to the beach, for long walks and he chased a ball until the ripe old age of 14. When he was treated, we weren't offered any kind of rehab /physio and I think this may have been of benefit. He was also diagnosed with a degenerating spine at around 9 years old, for which he was started on a course of supplements, and later, a monthly steroid injection. A combination of these, plus arthritis didn't really slow him down, and we lost him due to other reasons. If he had overdone it, he would be stiff the next day, especially as he got older.
I am waiting for photobucket to upload a video of Floyd, shot about 3 months before we lost him!
I think Dillon is young enough to make a full recovery, if it's done properly, and you should have a full and active life with him!
The hip dysplasia I have no experience of however, sorry!!
Please ask if you want to know more about Floyd's troubles, and I will post the video when it appears on photobucket!
Lynn.
Lynn&Pete
Lynn&Pete
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Boson
Dog(s) Ages : May 2017
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 262

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynn&Pete Sat Jul 05 2014, 23:12

Ok  photobucket won't upload the video, so here's the you tube link. This was about 3 months before we lost him. He was a little slow in getting up, but once he was up, boom!!
Lynn
Floyd doing his "suicide" roll: https://youtu.be/xe194Zr13Hw
Lynn&Pete
Lynn&Pete

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Boson
Dog(s) Ages : May 2017
Dog Gender(s) : Male