+5
Sazzle
stella
flowerbud
-Ian-
julestar
9 posters

Go down

Why does my dog bark at random people? Empty Why does my dog bark at random people?

Post by julestar Mon May 19 2014, 06:47

Hi I am new to this site and to having a Staffie for many years. We 'rescued' Tyson form a relative who fed him rubbish, rarely walked him and he had no rules , just jumped all over the furniture and was basically left to do his own thing. There were always lots of people there and his owner described him to me as 'boisterous'. We have had him two weeks now and have gradually changed his food to Arden Grange (as recommended) which seems to have calmed him down, and our home is a calm environment and he seems generally very happy, he is getting lots of cuddles and had settled in well. He has about three hours walk (by which I mean runs) along the beach areas a day. He was fine at first greeting other dogs well even if they growled at him. I work from home and when customers come I have to put him in the kitchen or garden as he will jump up them and is distracting. I always give him a little treat and say ' good boy' when I let him back out. He sleeps in the kitchen with the door closed at night otherwise he will bark all night at every passing car or person if he has access to the lounge, so he is used to it and is quite happy with it then. Just recently he has started growling at me if I try to get him in the kitchen during the day, and it is aggressive. He has never been allowed on the furniture and at first he would comply if you said 'Down'. Now he has started ignoring that and it takes several attempts to get him to respond. He has also now stopped coming back when I call him when he is off the lead. I don't want to have to stop letting him run wild because I have to chase him. He was running after another dog on the beach and his owner was trying to get Tyson away from his dog. My husband got hold of Tys harness and was talking to him saying come on Ty and he turned his head and gave my husband a warning nip so that he let go and Ty could chase after the dog. The last few days when we have been out walking he has started growling at random dogs, who have not taken any interest in him on passing. We can walk past thirty dogs and then one particular one, even on the other side of the road, he will go mad barking and pulling in a very aggressive way. He has now taken to doing this with humans too. There is no rhyme or reason to it, just randomly takes offence to someone walking past or even just standing still as we walk past. It has happened with a group of Disabled people standing at a bus stop, an old lady with a walking stick (which I thought the stick may have disturbed him), numerous people who are just walking past and I am really beginning to worry. I am worried that he is confident now and this is his 'true' personality coming out? I thought maybe it is because he has never had guidelines and now he has that he has started growling about going in the kitchen but why the random aggression towards people who are innocently passing? There does not seem to be any reason, they could not be a threat, because they can be yards away or even the other side of the road? He has not been castrated and he is approx. 2 and a half years old. I know this is his teenage tantrum years and some people think that getting him done may improve this but on the RSPCA site it says that it should be done prior to aggressive behaviour and if that behaviour is already learned then it may not stop it? Help.... I want to be able to walk him with confidence that he will not show this behaviour. I don't want that 'look' you get as a Staffy owner that says keep that vicious animal away from me, but that is the impression that he is giving. He is a beautiful loving gentle dog. Any advice please?  broken heart 

julestar
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Tyson
Dog(s) Ages : 2.5year
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Why does my dog bark at random people? Empty Re: Why does my dog bark at random people?

Post by Guest Mon May 19 2014, 12:39

Hiya from me and Vin, sorry have no experience in this but there will be someone along who will be able to help x

Back to top Go down

Why does my dog bark at random people? Empty Re: Why does my dog bark at random people?

Post by -Ian- Mon May 19 2014, 13:33

Hi & Why does my dog bark at random people? Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Why does my dog bark at random people? Icon_arrowPlease read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Why does my dog bark at random people? Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Why does my dog bark at random people? Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Why does my dog bark at random people? Icon_arrow How to update your Profile information
Why does my dog bark at random people? Icon_arrowIf you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
Why does my dog bark at random people? Icon_arrowWe have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
Why does my dog bark at random people? Icon_arrow Make a Donation to help us to keep improving our forum and website.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Why does my dog bark at random people? B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Mon May 19 2014, 13:36

Hi and Welcome to the Forum from Flo and Me  Big Grin 

I don't have any real experience of this other than the odd occurance when my Flo takes a dislike to another dog at 100yds for no apparent reason  Rolling Eyes 

Like you say, it is teenage behaviour and you might well need to go back to basics to reinforce good behaviour.

We do have more experienced people within the Forum who will be pleased to offer further advice i'm sure.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Why does my dog bark at random people? B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by flowerbud Mon May 19 2014, 14:50

Welcome from me and Alfie.
Others more experienced will be on later. Rachel is very good with dog training/behaviour.
flowerbud
flowerbud
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Alfie
Dog(s) Ages : 2yrs
Support total : 738

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Mon May 19 2014, 16:44

hia from me and sasha  Smile ,i'm sure when Rach comes along in a bit she will be able to help.
stella
stella

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Mon May 19 2014, 19:47

Hi and welcome from me and Daisy  Big Grin 
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Mon May 19 2014, 20:41

Hi and welcome from me and my two Smile
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 20 2014, 05:58

Welcome from the kids and I Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 20 2014, 08:26

Welcome from Darcy and me Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue May 20 2014, 13:54

Hi and welcome to the forum from Rocky and me.

Try posting in the Training & Behaviour section outlining your issues, it may well get overlooked in here.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Tue May 20 2014, 14:49

Hello and welcome Smile I think he's testing his new boundaries and seeing what he can get away with.. A mix of this and hormones plus new environment he's probably a bit all over the place! Keep consistent with the commands and rules and up his obedience training and positive socialization. Does he show aggression to anyone in a controlled setting (visitors/people he knows) or is it just people passing his territory?
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by VikkiGT4 Tue Jun 03 2014, 10:26

Hi and welcome to the forum from me and the zoo Smile xx
VikkiGT4
VikkiGT4
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Knox (RIP baby boy <3)
Support total : 234

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down