Little advice over food

5 posters

Go down

Little advice over food Empty Little advice over food

Post by Crutchlow79 Sun Apr 27 2014, 10:41

Hi my apologies for not posting on here in a few months been a busy time with nel. I am a little stuck and was wondering if anyone had any advice for me. I when I got nel I was lied to by the breeder I got her from over her age she was supposed to be 9 weeks old but according to the vet she was no more than 6. As you can imagine that changed what I was doing reference feeding her and I was advised by my vert to give her chicken and rice at least once a day to help build her up.
Well nel is now 10 months old and over the last few weeks I have notices she will not touch the dry food she has been eating for month but waits now till she gets her evening meal of chicken and rice.
I have not changed her dry food she is on the same brand that I was advised to get her from a member on here I am now thinking I have made a rod for my own back and all she wants is chicken and rice or other meats and rice that I sometimes feed her as she eats the same meal at night as I do (stops her begging for my food as she has the same thing) any advice I can get on this would be really useful as I am.worriws she ain't eating enough

Last edited by Kathy on Sun Apr 27 2014, 11:49; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Moved post to Staffy Dog Food)

Crutchlow79
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : nel
Dog(s) Ages : 1 yr
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 17

Back to top Go down

Little advice over food Empty Re: Little advice over food

Post by freyj4z Sun Apr 27 2014, 10:48

Does she need the chicken and rice anymore?? Could u possibly ween nel off it??

Im not really an expert as I only got my pup a few days ago, but maybe if you mixed in her dry food with the chicken and rice and then slowly put less and less chicken and rice in??
freyj4z
freyj4z
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Loki
Dog(s) Ages : 5 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 49

Back to top Go down

Post by Crutchlow79 Sun Apr 27 2014, 10:52

Chicken is a good protein base for her so reluctant to cut it out she walks at least 5 hours a day with me 2 in the morning 1 hour at lunch time and at least 2 hours in the evening so the protein and the walking has built her up nice and strong. At present she is not eating unless it's chicken and rice or chicken and veg (as I say she eats the same as me at night she don't try to beg food off my plats that way)

Crutchlow79

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Sun Apr 27 2014, 10:55

I'm no food expert but my Flo has dry for breakfast and will often leave it. At first we tried to get her to eat it, even pretending to eat  Rolling Eyes  but in the end we worked out that if she was really hungry she would wolf it down.

We also mix up the flavours so that it's not the same all the time, just the same for us really, I wouldn't like to eat the same thing every day. In the evening she gets wet and dry and never misses that meal, ever. You can set your watch by her dinner time angst  Laughing 

There are lots of threads and other info points on here about puppy feeding, have you looked here :- https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f29-staffordshire-bull-terrier-diet-nutrition

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Little advice over food B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Crutchlow79 Sun Apr 27 2014, 10:58

Oh nel can destroy her evening meals in seconds and I was thinking that if she gets hungry she will eat what's put down for her. Will have a look at that link now

Crutchlow79

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Apr 27 2014, 11:52

We feed Rocky a dry kibble and add things to it to make it a little bit more interesting for him, we add cooked, cooled chicken, sardines or scrambled egg. We just a dd a little tiny amount as the kibble is a complete food which should not need anything added really.

Have you considered putting the food in a Kong to make it more fun to eat. It can also be frozen too.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Sun Apr 27 2014, 13:29

Hiya! She's not really getting much in regards to nutrients from the rice anyway, I'd just mix the chicken into her dry food if I were you. Which dry food specifically is she on? I don't feed dry, and generally don't blame dogs for not eating it because it's soooo boring for them lol! If she's getting that much exercise would you look into raw feeding? I thought 5 hours a day would be too much on a growing pups joints?!
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down