12 week old starting to assert dominance over daughter.

+3
janey
Debs01
Hella-Buggin'
7 posters

Go down

12 week old starting to assert dominance over daughter.  Empty 12 week old starting to assert dominance over daughter.

Post by Hella-Buggin' Tue Apr 08 2014, 17:04

We got our puppy a little over a week ago and she will 12 weeks old tomorrow.
I have twin seven year old daughters and one isn't having any issues.
The other daughter "S" is having some issues. The puppy is starting to nip her
Feet and jump up on her and only her. I will admit that my other daughter "C" is the
Tougher of the two and will assert herself when the puppy acts up.

I've tried explaining to "S" what is happening and what she needs to do but
in the heat of the moment she squeals and runs. This creates a game and arouses the
Puppy further.

All in all she is a very calm submissive puppy. She just seems to focus on "S".

Any tips?

Thanks,
Mark

Hella-Buggin'
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

12 week old starting to assert dominance over daughter.  Empty Re: 12 week old starting to assert dominance over daughter.

Post by Debs01 Tue Apr 08 2014, 17:27

Hiya

I don't think I would call it dominance at 12 weeks old. What's more likely causing it is that S squeaks and squeals and that's a fun game for the puppy (as you've already said), so now she associates S with fun and play whereas C doesn't react so the puppy's like "your no fun I'll leave you alone".

Its difficult because at 7 years old its hard for your child to remember that she shouldn't be squealing or running away from the puppy, she should in fact be turning her back every time the pup jumps up Smile

It's important that your children learn how to react when the pup does something they don't like, like the jumping and nipping. If I were you i'd encourage S to stand up and turn her back with her arms crossed every single time the pup jumps up or on her and stay calm. A few times of doing this and the pup will learn, they learn quickly!

I know that's probably easier said than done though!
Debs01
Debs01
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down

12 week old starting to assert dominance over daughter.  Empty Re: 12 week old starting to assert dominance over daughter.

Post by janey Tue Apr 08 2014, 19:01

Get her feeding the pup (under your supervision), more positive interaction will build confidence/bond for both. Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Hella-Buggin' Tue Apr 08 2014, 19:49

Good points. So, I'm trying to get her feeding the pup. I was trying to establish a routine first. By that I mean I prep the food and don't give it to the pup until she's sitting and makes eye contact. I've established that now I am training the daughters how to do it. I also have them walk up and gently pet her and take the bowl away. Then they give it back.

I have her waking up in The am to exercise the pup in the yard. She spends about 20 minutes running up and down the hill before breakfast.

I've talked to her about the hopping and squealing and she knows what to do but doing it hasn't clicked yet.

Hella-Buggin'

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Tue Apr 08 2014, 21:09

Hiya, great replies from others. I wouldn't focus on dominance theory, it's a load of rubbish, he's just playing and being a puppy, as he would his litter mates. As you've realised the squealing won't help. I'd probably suggest your little one giving him something else to occupy his mouth (a soft toy) instead of her and the usual yelp/turn away/ignore when he's mouthing/nipping. Also don't bother forcing eye contact, it's an unnatural and uncomfortable action for a dog and will just cause mistrust in your relationship. Don't take her bowl away, this will only cause a negative focus over you being near her food bowl, thus causing possible aversive behaviour.
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Tue Apr 08 2014, 21:56

Great advice given. Is your daughter on the floor when the behaviour occurs? Pups tend to look at people as playmates if they are on the floor.
JStaff
JStaff

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by Hella-Buggin' Tue Apr 08 2014, 22:08

Usually if she's in the flirt the puppy is snoozing in her lap ;-)

The behavior occurs outside when she's playing. In dismissing the dominance theory. I'm sure it's just play and my daughters reactions escalates it.

Hella-Buggin'

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyW Tue Apr 08 2014, 22:51

Slightly off topic but watch the amount of exercise. 5 mins per month of life + a bit of off lead at end 3 times per day. Too much in 1st year can cause joint damage in later life.
TonyW
TonyW
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
12 week old starting to assert dominance over daughter.  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Separeted
Dogs Name(s) : Barney
Dog(s) Ages : 18/12/2013
Support total : 46

Back to top Go down

Post by Hella-Buggin' Tue Apr 08 2014, 23:28

Well, by exercise I mean lots of sniffing around the yard
Followed by some running around the lawn and then back to sniffing. We are being careful and she also let's us know when she's tired. She just goes to the grass and relaxes.

Hella-Buggin'

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Tue Apr 08 2014, 23:52

I would also agree that it is the squealing and running away that gets puppy excited and makes her want to play.
Your daughter will just need to learn how to act around her and I'm sure she will get it soon! We still have problems with the OH's mum as she will make high pitched squeaky noises when trying to tell Bane to get down, which only makes him more excited! Most other people he will great nicely and calmly! Smile
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down