lymphoma in staffies

+2
Rachel33
Mrs Polly
6 posters

Go down

Crying lymphoma in staffies

Post by Mrs Polly Sun Mar 30 2014, 22:02

Hi all, i am new to the forum, however i've followed the page on Facebook for a while. I wondered if anyone had any advice? My 7 year old boy has just been diagnosed with lymphoma - cancer of the lymph nodes. We are so upset, there isn't anything that can be done apart from palliative care because his symptoms were so late showing the vets are sure it started somewhere else most probably his intestines. Basically he is now on steroids until its time for his forever sleep.

We are so upset and honestly think we are still in a state of shock. I just wondered if anyone had experienced this & had any advice for us. We don't even know how long we have left with our beautiful boy and we are trying to make every day special for him.

Sad times.

Mrs Polly
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bailey & Foxy
Dog(s) Ages : 7 & 6
Dog Gender(s) : Male & Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Crying Re: lymphoma in staffies

Post by Guest Sun Mar 30 2014, 22:12

So very sorry afraid I have no experience of this at all. Someone will have though. Yes all you can do is make each day special and fun, when you feel up to it come say hi here xxx
https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 30 2014, 22:13

Hugs to you and your boy x

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Mon Mar 31 2014, 08:44

I'm so sorry. My girl was diagnosed with cancer in 2011 so I understand entirely what you're going through! I hope you don't mind me asking a few questions; which symptoms is he currently experiencing? Have the vets done any scans/x rays to give you more information? How old is he?
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Polly Mon Mar 31 2014, 20:00

All of his lymph nodes are huge, even the ones in his hind legs the vets are certain that his lymphoma is secondary to another cancer probably in his intestines due to the delay in him showing any signs of illness. He's always been so healthy, he's only 7.

He is currently on strong steroids twice daily, chemotherapy isn't an option for him we are so upset at the thought of losing him he's such a big part of our lives x

Mrs Polly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by flowerbud Mon Mar 31 2014, 20:12

So sad and so unfair! Enjoy every minute you have with him x
flowerbud
flowerbud
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Alfie
Dog(s) Ages : 2yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 738

Back to top Go down

Post by JB Mon Mar 31 2014, 20:24

Hi,
I'm really sorry to hear about this and I only lost my best friend a few days ago due to a brain tumor. Just like your boy, mine showed no sign of being ill until he started having seizures whereby his health and general happiness declined rapidly within 24-48 hours. It's extremely hard but I made the decision to have him put to sleep so he had no more pain and personally I couldn't watch him have any more seizures.

I've never felt pain like it in my life and haven't really slept for 5 days straight. I knew something wasn't right so made sure I spent every second I could with him. Make sure you do the same, try to make him as comfortable as you can without prolonging the pain. I wish you all the best and please post anything you want on here, I've only just joined and the support is quite amazing so far.

All the best.
JB
JB
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Mase
Dog(s) Ages : 2003-2014
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Mon Mar 31 2014, 20:39

I'm so sorry to hear this, I have no experience and can only imagine how upset you are  lymphoma in staffies  3198918699 xx
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Mon Mar 31 2014, 21:00

Oh bless you both Sad this is a little out of my league; I only have experience with skin cancer which "touch wood" doesn't seem to have spread, though I was told that Biscuit had 6 months and so prepared myself, I was told that it would spread to her lungs and lymph nodes. All I can say is ensure that you have support and do whatever feels good for you both. You need comfort as much as he does and make sure you look after yourself too. Allow yourself to go through each stage of his diagnosis and of course come to the forum for support also, for your boy, he'll let you know the best he can what's comfortable for him and what's not, though of course staffies are known for not letting on when they're in pain; I always remember watching Biscuit and wondering when she was first diagnosed.

Make sure you have an empathetic vet; mine were very cold unfortunately and I found this hard, though luckily we met a wonderful one eventually who Biscuit adores and he did his best to explain in full what was happening within her body and offer all avenues for pain relief, as she was a kennel dog at the time of diagnosis and they wouldn't offer treatment. With the right vet they can offer a world of knowledge and support. Try and keep his routine the same as usual as much as you can, but of course if you both want a little treat every now and then allow that Smile I think let him lead you more than anything. There's always someone about on here for a chat. Xxx
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Polly Mon Mar 31 2014, 21:36

Thank you everyone for your kind words, we won't allow him to suffer, he'll always be our boy & when its time for his forever sleep, we'll be there with him til the end.

Love you always Bailey xxx

Mrs Polly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Mar 31 2014, 21:51

Gutted to read this, you must be heartbroken, enjoy the time you have and we are here if you ever need a chat/vent or cry Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down