Reinforcing the leash with carabiners

3 posters

Go down

Reinforcing the leash with carabiners  Empty Reinforcing the leash with carabiners

Post by spuker1 Tue May 24 2011, 15:22

Lol, yesterday when I went on a walk with Mambo he spotted some ducks in the local park. When I tried to hold him back, this bit snapped:

Reinforcing the leash with carabiners  Leash%20Clip%20Style%20A

I actually managed to catch him back because he stopped by the fence, where ducks flew away. We went to DIY self and I bought a snap lock, like a carabiner type thing and fixed it to the leash. It's rock solid because it's made of 6mm forged steel and it won't ever snap.

However...

I walked my wife to work this morning with Mambo and on a way back I popped in to local co-operative store for some food. I left the dog outside tied to some kind of post. I was halfway my shopping and when I was going through shelves I thought I saw a dog strolling across the shop alley.... Guess what, it obviously was Mambo Big Grin

I have no idea how he unclipped himself from leash and I was very lucky he followed me to the shop, especially we have got him for just about week now...

What else can I say.....

Reinforcing the leash with carabiners  Treat

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

So when this metal bit on your doggy's leash does break off, you can fix it with carabiner but:

a) It has to be a proper one, a security snap lock made of forged steel or a proper climbing equipment. Forget about those lightweight alloy ones made to hold your keys together in your pocket... these last 10min.

b) Most preferably it has to have some kind of lock which prevents it from unclipping itself like this one:

Reinforcing the leash with carabiners  19555-large_work-Mammut_Bionic_HMS_Carabiner_10081854_3

if it's not an threaded carabiner (like this one on a pic above) than just be VERY careful
spuker1
spuker1
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Reinforcing the leash with carabiners  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Mambo
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 2

http://tsphotography.org

Back to top Go down

Reinforcing the leash with carabiners  Empty Re: Reinforcing the leash with carabiners

Post by janey Tue May 24 2011, 16:03

Thanks for the advice! And yes you where lucky! How can you be angry at that little face though, how the hell did he unclip it, its like Houdini!
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Reinforcing the leash with carabiners  Empty Re: Reinforcing the leash with carabiners

Post by spuker1 Tue May 24 2011, 16:12

janey wrote:Thanks for the advice! And yes you where lucky! How can you be angry at that little face though, how the hell did he unclip it, its like Houdini!

No problem Smile

I have no idea how he actually did it. I think that when you pull it back in certain way it can be depressed by the buckle and snap open but... it's hard to do even for me. Mambo did it with his neck... I'll just wait for him to pull some rabbits out of places... Laughing

Well what can I say... He has to love shopping Big Grin
spuker1
spuker1

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 24 2011, 16:28

yeah look at his adorable face.!!
. please buy me some dog biscuits daddy..hhmmm on second thoughts I will come into the shop and make sure you do !! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 24 2011, 16:30

Houdini-Stafford! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by spuker1 Tue May 24 2011, 16:39

Yea, Staffordshire Houdini Terrier... Laughing

That was actually quite funny. Most of people who seen him going through automatic door and strolling in co-op just laughed Big Grin
spuker1
spuker1

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 24 2011, 19:35

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by buster2011 Wed Jul 27 2011, 17:05

had a go and made my own lead using this idera it worked great

good call thumbs up
buster2011
buster2011

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : buster
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by spuker1 Wed Jul 27 2011, 20:59

great Smile
we're still using ours and it's working really well Smile
spuker1
spuker1

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 30 2011, 19:51

spuker1 wrote:Lol, yesterday when I went on a walk with Mambo he spotted some ducks in the local park. When I tried to hold him back, this bit snapped:

Reinforcing the leash with carabiners  Leash%20Clip%20Style%20A

I actually managed to catch him back because he stopped by the fence, where ducks flew away. We went to DIY self and I bought a snap lock, like a carabiner type thing and fixed it to the leash. It's rock solid because it's made of 6mm forged steel and it won't ever snap.

However...

I walked my wife to work this morning with Mambo and on a way back I popped in to local co-operative store for some food. I left the dog outside tied to some kind of post. I was halfway my shopping and when I was going through shelves I thought I saw a dog strolling across the shop alley.... Guess what, it obviously was Mambo Big Grin

I have no idea how he unclipped himself from leash and I was very lucky he followed me to the shop, especially we have got him for just about week now...

What else can I say.....

Reinforcing the leash with carabiners  Treat

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

So when this metal bit on your doggy's leash does break off, you can fix it with carabiner but:

a) It has to be a proper one, a security snap lock made of forged steel or a proper climbing equipment. Forget about those lightweight alloy ones made to hold your keys together in your pocket... these last 10min.

b) Most preferably it has to have some kind of lock which prevents it from unclipping itself like this one:

Reinforcing the leash with carabiners  19555-large_work-Mammut_Bionic_HMS_Carabiner_10081854_3

if it's not an threaded carabiner (like this one on a pic above) than just be VERY careful

Where did you find these small high quality ones , I have bought a walkydog for the bike and need a couple to make the lead a little longer , could only find massive climber ones or the little cheap ones you talk about here, cost is irrelevant as my little baby gets whatever she wants (apart from my beer) Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down