Question about storage & bacteria

4 posters

Go down

Question about storage & bacteria Empty Question about storage & bacteria

Post by chris1991p Tue Mar 04 2014, 20:09

Well i've been reading up on raw feeding and i've basically decided i want to go raw however i live with my parents at the moment and have 4 young siblings between 7-12 so my mum isn't so keen on taking the leap because the kids are always cuddling and kissing the dog and well shes a staffy so she loves giving kisses too so my mum is really worried about them catching samonella etc i know a lot of people here feed raw was just wondering if anyones had any issues with licking etc obviously i wouldnt let the dog lick them straight after eating but i dont want to stop the kids cuddling the dog etc because the dog really adores them.

If my mum agrees to let me feed raw i'd like to buy in bulk and was looking into DAF i'd probably want 1-2 month of food at a time so will need to buy a chest freezer i'm just wondering what size roughly i'd need for £50 worth from DAF and my local butcher has already said he can get chicken carcasses ordered in for me but i'd have to buy 14kg at a time which he said would be £11 which is cheap i think?

thanks in advance for any help

chris1991p
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Question about storage & bacteria Empty Re: Question about storage & bacteria

Post by Guest Tue Mar 04 2014, 20:24

Darcy constantly kisses us and I means Lot's Rolling Eyes we feed raw and we've never had a problem with any bugs, as for storage space from daf a small chest freezer should be ample room for a £50 order

Come say hi :- https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions

Back to top Go down

Post by chris1991p Tue Mar 04 2014, 20:50

_Hayley_ wrote:Darcy constantly kisses us and I means Lot's :roll:we feed raw and we've never had a problem with any bugs, as for storage space from daf a small chest freezer should be ample room for a £50 order

Come say hi :- https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions

thanks for the help appreciate it.

chris1991p

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 04 2014, 20:53

No probs Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Tue Mar 04 2014, 21:08

Daisy licks me all the time and no problems so far  Smile Like you say I don't let her straight after eating!
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Wed Mar 05 2014, 09:06

Bane is always licking my OH and he's fine! Not sure if they'd be more suseptible being children though? I guess aslong as they wash hands etc after cuddles before eating food there will be no probblems Smile

Our first DAF order was about £54. We got chicken, turkey, tripe and chicken and oily fish mince all about 6.8kg each. 4kg chicken meat and 4kg chicken with bone portions...roughly 36kg meat and just managed to fit it in a 26kg undercounter freezer with 3 drawers. We would have preferred a chest freezer though Smile good luck!!
Bane
Bane
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by chris1991p Wed Mar 05 2014, 16:33

Bane wrote:Bane is always licking my OH and he's fine! Not sure if they'd be more suseptible being children though? I guess aslong as they wash hands etc after cuddles before eating food there will be no probblems Smile

Our first DAF order was about £54. We got chicken, turkey, tripe and chicken and oily fish mince all about 6.8kg each. 4kg chicken meat and 4kg chicken with bone portions...roughly 36kg meat and just managed to fit it in a 26kg undercounter freezer with 3 drawers. We would have preferred a chest freezer though :)good luck!!

Yeah my mum is more worried about the children than us will probably get a small 60-100 ltr chest freezer should be enough I think I'm just not sure about the 14kg of chicken carcasses as well they might not fit but I guess if I get the DAF order first then I'll know how much space I have left.

Got some chicken leg quarters and chicken drumsticks from aldi the other day so tryed her with a drumstick today when she refused to eat her normal food (shes really fussy been trying to find a good food she likes for awhile now she usually gets bored of her food after a few weeks even when I tryed putting gravy etc she would lick the gravy off and leave the rest) it was still frozen and she didn't know what it was at first she just licked it and started to play with it until it got a bit softer then I held it for her just in case until it was small enough but she crunched the last bit anyway so think she would of been fine with it but didn't want her running around the living room with a chicken drumstick my mum would kill me anyway she seemed to like it so got some of the free flow natures menu chicken mince from P@H for now until I can get a freezer and the DAF order so will try her with that tomorrow morning hope it goes well and she likes it.

It was worth feeding the drumstick just to see the look on my mums face when she heard the bone crunch it was priceless Laughing 

chris1991p

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Wed Mar 05 2014, 20:33

My mum and dad had kittens when they saw daisy crunch up a chicken wing!! Daisy has all her meat on the bone frozen or she won't eat it!!
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by chris1991p Wed Mar 05 2014, 20:47

Sazzle wrote:My mum and dad had kittens when they saw daisy crunch up a chicken wing!! Daisy has all her meat on the bone frozen or she won't eat it!!

Ha ye she just curled up on the couch and cringed to start with.

chris1991p

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Wed Mar 05 2014, 21:29

We found that the minces stacked well as they are all rectangular but struggled with the chicken portions just had to dump them in a draw and fill around it so carcasses might be a tricky one Big Grin
She does sound like a fusspot! Hopefully she will enjoy the raw food Smile Atleast then you can give her as much variety as she will eat once you have got her used to all the meats!
Oh man the crunching is so loud! :O We thought fish bones would be quieter...nope! Laughing
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by chris1991p Wed Mar 05 2014, 22:25

Bane wrote:We found that the minces stacked well as they are all rectangular but struggled with the chicken portions just had to dump them in a draw and fill around it so carcasses might be a tricky one Big Grin
She does sound like a fusspot! Hopefully she will enjoy the raw food :)Atleast then you can give her as much variety as she will eat once you have got her used to all the meats!
Oh man the crunching is so loud! :O We thought fish bones would be quieter...nope! Laughing

Ye shes really fussy we've tryed loads of good quality dry/wet food naturediet, eden, taste of the wild, simpsons, james wellbeloved the only food we've found that she enjoys is cesar but the quality isnt that good and it makes her scratch and itch a lot plus its expensive we try putting it down for 20 mins taking it up till tea but she will literally go 2-3 days without eating then only pick at the food so we've been boiling chicken/mince giving her tinned sardines etc but past 3 days shes turning her nose up at that too had her at the vet but nothing seems wrong she is in heat though(her first time shes 7 months) so that might be why shes not eating our food she had some natures menu chicken mince earlier and ate it so hoping she continues too

chris1991p

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Wed Mar 05 2014, 22:44

Ah I have just been all though this  Laughing 

Looked at picking up chest freezers second hand but by the time up figure out van hire etc it wasn't really any cheaper than buying new. Got a 100l one from currys for £129 with free delivery (if you can wait 2 weeks), just had my first DAF order today about £65 worth.....
Raw Trotters - 2 x 2pcs
Assorted Box of Meats - 20 x 454g/1lb
Chicken Neck Chunks - 4kg
Duck Wings - 4kg
Heart Chunks - 4kg
Minced Pork & Tripe - 15 x 454g/1lb
Minced Chicken - 15 x 454g/1lb
For now I've just chucked all the boxes in as they are, only had to open the duck wings but otherwise it all fit in but seen some peg basket things in the pound shop which might be quite handy to keep everything organised

Has quite an argument with my mum about salmonella to the point that she told me that she hopes Ledger dies from it so she could say I told you so!

Thankfully she has come round Ledger no longer farting was the major factor in convincing her that raw is best for his digestion. With anything tho it's be hygienic I have separate containers and tray in the fridge for his defrosting food and very careful with hand washing and cleaning of chopping board etc if I'm breaking down a chicken carcass from the butcher. I also got a little lunch bag for £1 so his meals are transported in that and stay cool with ice packs Smile
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by chris1991p Wed Mar 05 2014, 22:54

jshrew wrote:Ah I have just been all though this  Laughing 

Looked at picking up chest freezers second hand but by the time up figure out van hire etc it wasn't really any cheaper than buying new. Got a 100l one from currys for £129 with free delivery (if you can wait 2 weeks), just had my first DAF order today about £65 worth.....
Raw Trotters - 2 x 2pcs
Assorted Box of Meats - 20 x 454g/1lb
Chicken Neck Chunks - 4kg
Duck Wings - 4kg
Heart Chunks - 4kg
Minced Pork & Tripe - 15 x 454g/1lb
Minced Chicken - 15 x 454g/1lb
For now I've just chucked all the boxes in as they are, only had to open the duck wings but otherwise it all fit in but seen some peg basket things in the pound shop which might be quite handy to keep everything organised

Has quite an argument with my mum about salmonella to the point that she told me that she hopes Ledger dies from it so she could say I told you so!

Thankfully she has come round Ledger no longer farting was the major factor in convincing her that raw is best for his digestion. With anything tho it's be hygienic I have separate containers and tray in the fridge for his defrosting food and very careful with hand washing and cleaning of chopping board etc if I'm breaking down a chicken carcass from the butcher. I also got a little lunch bag for £1 so his meals are transported in that and stay cool with ice packs Smile

Sounds like 100L would be plenty for me, glad your mum came around mine agrees raw is probably best for the dog but is worried about the kids.

chris1991p

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down