Getting snappy...

4 posters

Go down

Getting snappy... Empty Getting snappy...

Post by acidrane13 Fri May 20 2011, 19:11

For the last week chase has become progressively more unsettled when in the house...His coming up for 11 months now, and seems to be getting worse with age...at first i put it down to needing more exercise, I walk him everyday for at least an hour, sometimes twice, usually as soon as i get up, But Some times when i cant take him first thing in the morning, he use to be ok, and would entertain himself until i was ready, but now if his not walked he whines pretty much continuously.

After a walk he would usually sleep for a good couple of hours, and behave himself once he woke up, now, he will sleep for about 20 minutes, sometimes not even that long, then go back to whining and pacing around, Its not that he wants food, water or to go out, he just seems generally unsettled.

Our routine hasn't changed so i don't think its that, His also started to ignore commands, and at time snap at hands, for example, i usually tell him "bed" and point to his bed, and he use to get on it and lay down, now his started snapping at my hands...

Any advice would be really useful if anyone has had any experience with this kind of thing...I really cant figure out whats changed, other than his age!
acidrane13
acidrane13
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Getting snappy... Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Chase
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 4

Back to top Go down

Getting snappy... Empty Re: Getting snappy...

Post by kitten Fri May 20 2011, 21:15

He probably needs more excercise. We have a four year old and she gets walked for about two and a half/ three hours a day plus going to agility and she still has loads of energy
kitten
kitten

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ripley
Dog Gender(s) : F
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 20 2011, 21:26

I think you need to look at 3 things;

1. Excercise. One walk, even if it's an hour or more, isn't enough for a staff of his age. He needs at least 2 long walks, preferably 3.

2. Food. When do you feed him & how often? What do you give him?

3. Boredom. After his walks, does he have things to occupy his mind? Toys that will entertain him?

As to the snapping, that sounds like the teenager stage! Knows everything, listens to nothing & nobody understands him! Go back to basics & train him all over again is the best way. It won't last long because he already knows the drill, he just needs reminding about the rules of the house!

Back to top Go down

Post by acidrane13 Fri May 20 2011, 23:25

I think longer walks will defiantly be worth a try...maybe 2 walks a day minimum for longer periods of time.

I feed him dry food in the morning, he has a small bowl down around lunch time after his walk, that he he sometimes eats, depending on the weather and the length of the walk, and a bowl at dinner time. The total amount is within the guidelines on the bag, from experience ive narrowed down how much he will eat.

And toys, he does have alot of toys and bones around, but im kind of limited as to what he can have, and how long it will last, as he loves to pull his toys apart! I often squeeze one of his bones into a kong, which he will sit and try to get it out for ages.

And i think goin back to basics with the training is definatly a must, i was wondering if it was some kind of teenage stage, but i wasnt sure if i was just putting human characteristics to a dog, but maby that is part of the situation.

The advice is appreciated, thanks guys

Big Grin
acidrane13
acidrane13

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Fri May 20 2011, 23:57

Terrible teens Sad
gem
gem
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 21 2011, 10:45

Milly nearly 9 months now think this is creeping up on us she has been so naughty the last few days

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 21 2011, 10:59

The 'teenage year' is a definite phase! They act so blo*dy bolshy & 'forget' what they're not allowed to do! Back to basics is the way, firmness & consistency.

Most dogs go through a stroppy stage between about 6 months & 18 months. The good news is that as long as you're firm, it won't last long.

Does his food have high levels of protein? If so, you might want to change to one with a lower level. At his age the high protein content isn't quite so important so you could cut back a bit. You could try substituting the evening meal with some minced green tripe - lower protein, but full of minerals.

Back to top Go down

Post by acidrane13 Sat May 21 2011, 12:03

I think by the sounds of it, its defiantly a case of the terrible teens. Changing his food may be worth a try but I think back to basics and reinforcing the rules is goin to be vital.

Thanks Caryll Big Grin
acidrane13
acidrane13

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Wed May 25 2011, 13:37

Is he neutered? Could he possibly be smelling a bitch in season?
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 25 2011, 13:47

something to look forward to

Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by acidrane13 Wed May 25 2011, 14:34

Nosipho wrote:Is he neutered? Could he possibly be smelling a bitch in season?

Yer he is neutered, so it shouldn't be that.

Um slowly changing him down to a lower protein diet, And that seems to be having some effect. As well as increasing his exercise, which his loving lol
acidrane13
acidrane13

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down