Going raw... daft questions probably but...

4 posters

Go down

Going raw... daft questions probably but... Empty Going raw... daft questions probably but...

Post by cesca1 Sun Feb 16 2014, 00:02

Feeling pretty anxious about it to be honest as don't want to fail them/miss out on anything. We have moved them off the kibble and started giving them raw chicken over the last few days (fresh whole birds cut into portions at present). Should they be having any offal at this stage? They already love the fresh eggs from our chickens. Our local butchers are giving us all their scraps for free which is fab.

We are going to be placing an order with DAF - they deliver to Chester on the 26th Feb how long do we have to order before the date? And will they automatically add it to the delivery date? Also do they give you any time slots on the day? (its a wednesday so will need to be home!).

Soooooo many choices on the DAF website - feeling pretty lost but starting with chicken, that's simple enough, then I understand increase flavours over the following weeks.

With regard to the ratios how much fat do they need in their diets? Lastly, do they need any other supplements?

Apologies this is a bit of a ramble with a lot of questions!
cesca1
cesca1
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog(s) Ages : 20.04.12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 65

Back to top Go down

Going raw... daft questions probably but... Empty Re: Going raw... daft questions probably but...

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16 2014, 00:12

NOOOOOOOOOOO offal at this point! it's one of the last things to add

Don't stress and don't overcomplicate it Smile the ratios don't need to be stuck to every meal or day. I let the diet balance it's self out over approx 3 months it's more natural that way

With DAF I emailed them originally with my orders before they updated their site, and they automatically added me to the mailing list so i know when they are delivering to my area and the cut off for ordering, so best to email and ask, but no sorry they don't give you a time, but i've been with them for about 2 years now and come to know that they get to my house for between half 10 and half 11.

Fat there isn't a specific amount or ratio, all i do is not trim the fat off of meat if you can buy things like whole beef heart there is usually a fat cap and that is some bloody good stuff so leave it on!

supplements no they don't need any if you eventually give a good varied diet. I do give extras but they aren't to supplement their diet, which IMO is a bloody great one, i give herbs/spices/garlic/oils etc because of the health benefits that they give, and because I don't give chemicals to my boys for worming/fleaing/minor injures etc

Back to top Go down

Going raw... daft questions probably but... Empty Re: Going raw... daft questions probably but...

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16 2014, 00:13

couple of links to read if you haven't already

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t14787-raw-diet
www.preymodelraw.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cesca1 Sun Feb 16 2014, 00:16

Thank you Ella!!  Big Grin 
cesca1
cesca1

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by cesca1 Sun Feb 16 2014, 00:19

When we give them a chicken quarter should they just be left to it? When they crunch it smaller I worry that they will gobble the last bit up in one go?
cesca1
cesca1

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by cesca1 Sun Feb 16 2014, 00:19

PS they've only had chicken thus far and will gradually add different items week by week (been reading a lot of posts in this section! Very useful)
cesca1
cesca1

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16 2014, 00:26

Think of it this way, a dogs throat is known as a bone chute for good reason!

Dogs do not chew their food, they crunch whatever it is small enough for it to be swallowed whole, which may seem massive to me and you. If something is a little to big or doesn't sit right in their bellies they tend to bring it back up LET them re eat it, it's what they are meant to do they bring it back up for another crunch Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by cesca1 Sun Feb 16 2014, 00:47

Thank you again Smile I was only cautious because i read somewhere that you shouldn't give things that were too small, e.g. chicken wings, as they may swallow them whole. Then I watch Molly and Watson chewing on a quarter chicken as they crunch and crunch then the last bit vanishes!

What you've said makes perfect sense Smile I shall relax and let them get on with the eating bit. They seem soooo happy with their new meals!
cesca1
cesca1

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16 2014, 00:57

People say that and me to, because larger pieces teach dogs to crunch their food, particularly if you have a dog known for swallowing everything whole. As with anything you give a dog there is always the small risk of chocking but that's the small for kibble and treats so it's helps minimize it Smile

Chance although a large ambull does get small wings which are swallowed whole with one small crunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16 2014, 00:58

I'm sure it goes without saying but when they eat anything you should supervise anyway but sounds like your already doing that Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by cesca1 Sun Feb 16 2014, 01:04

Yup always watching them (amongst other things if we didn't Molly swiftly moves in on Watson's food!)

cesca1
cesca1

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16 2014, 01:06

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16 2014, 05:43

Sounds like things are going really well. Well done you and good luck xx

Back to top Go down

Post by cesca1 Sun Feb 16 2014, 10:33

Thanks Hayley Smile

Probably going to alot more questions to come!
cesca1
cesca1

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16 2014, 10:36

I was exactly the same, Ella will tell you, I over thought everything Surprised but we're now on a roll as you will be, ask away there's always someone around who can help xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Sun Feb 16 2014, 11:17

Aw exciting! They must be loving it! Smile

With DAF you have to order at least 1 full day before the delivery date. I think our delivery was on a Thursday, we had to have ordered by 5pm Tuesday night to make sure it would come on the Thursday.
Jealous of your very kind Butchers!

We always watch Bane eat (more because we are so interested in how he does it Tongues) but he has swallowed bits that were too big before, he just brings them back up and re-eats!
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Sun Feb 16 2014, 11:47

cesca1 wrote:Feeling pretty anxious about it to be honest as don't want to fail them/miss out on anything. We have moved them off the kibble and started giving them raw chicken over the last few days (fresh whole birds cut into portions at present). Should they be having any offal at this stage? They already love the fresh eggs from our chickens. Our local butchers are giving us all their scraps for free which is fab.

We are going to be placing an order with DAF - they deliver to Chester on the 26th Feb how long do we have to order before the date? And will they automatically add it to the delivery date? Also do they give you any time slots on the day? (its a wednesday so will need to be home!).

Soooooo many choices on the DAF website - feeling pretty lost but starting with chicken, that's simple enough, then I understand increase flavours over the following weeks.

With regard to the ratios how much fat do they need in their diets? Lastly, do they need any other supplements?

Apologies this is a bit of a ramble with a lot of questions!

I'm in the same boat.. I've got Zeus on turkey mince at the moment with some fruit/veg, salmon oil etc.. but I keep getting the feeling that I'm missing something as I don't know much about raw..
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by cesca1 Sun Feb 16 2014, 13:10

So good to be able to talk to people about it Smile
cesca1
cesca1

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Sun Feb 16 2014, 16:05

I changed a few months ago and asked loads of questions! You soon get into it though, well done for giving it a go  Big Grin 
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down