New foster dog - wonderful Domino - questions.

+4
Evesmam
Sara n Ozzy
Sazzle
Bane
8 posters

Go down

New foster dog - wonderful Domino - questions. Empty New foster dog - wonderful Domino - questions.

Post by Rupertsbooks Sat Jan 04 2014, 21:42

Hello everybody

I have taken on a foster dog over Christmas. I have already got Rupert, my (male) Staffy. Now (female) Domino temporarily joins the brood. I am stunned at how well they get on. They are so different and yet it really works.

I have two questions.

1) What breeds you think she may be a mix of? (pictures below).

2) Can you help me help her overcome her separation anxiety?

Domino is perfect. She is so easy and relatively low energy compared to Rupert, especially as she is only five months old or so. She seems easy to train, is unfussy with food, is quiet and clean... a sweetheart. The only problem I have is that her separation anxiety is intense. Rupert had it too when I first had him but it was more a case of him having a fun time ripping up my duvet when I was out. Domino, on the other hand, seems to suffer from rising and prolonged anxiety when she is left alone that results in her yelping and becoming very manic and desperate. The longer she is left, the more manic she becomes. It is not a case that if I leave her with a stag bar, she settles down after thirty minutes.

If I try and crate her she also goes mad, although she now eats in her crate. I have thought of moving the crate to the living room by the tv - that might help? At night I started off trying to crate her but as the minutes and hours progressed she became more and more distressed so, unfortunately, she now sleeps in my room. My room is a sort of sanctuary for her and she can now stay there on her own - depending on the circumstances - for half an hour or so. She also follows me around less frequently. However, I do need to go out sometimes and want to train her up as quickly as possible. I suspect that perhaps she was abandoned because of this anxiety. Does anyone have any advice?

As to breed - any guesses? Potential adopters will want to know how big will she get. Is it possible to tell? She is an incredible dog and wonderful with kids, ducks, chickens etc. Also very good at being a jogging companion, so no more excuses...

New foster dog - wonderful Domino - questions. 1388871113_zpsc4666c28

New foster dog - wonderful Domino - questions. 1388871207_zpscb3324a1

New foster dog - wonderful Domino - questions. Dominoface_zps6768648d

New foster dog - wonderful Domino - questions. Dominoheld_zps6742b718
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rupert
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

New foster dog - wonderful Domino - questions. Empty Re: New foster dog - wonderful Domino - questions.

Post by Sazzle Sat Jan 04 2014, 21:50

Well done on fostering, Domino is beautiful, not sure about what she is crossed with...beagle maybe? She has cute floppy ears  Love Struck  Hard to tell at such a young age!

I'm afraid separation anxiety is luckily not something I've had to deal with, maybe just build up the time you leave her in a separate room, just starting with a minute or too and gradually extending it, giving a treat when you go back to her? Sure other will have more advise  Smile
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

New foster dog - wonderful Domino - questions. Empty Re: New foster dog - wonderful Domino - questions.

Post by Bane Sat Jan 04 2014, 22:00

She is gorgeous! They look so cosy snugged up on the sofa Smile

Sorry I haven't really had any experience with the seperation anxiety and would suggest the same as Sazzle...maybe you could also try giving her something like a Kong or Stag Bar while you are with her and then once shes relaxed with it, try leaving the room for a minute, slowly increasing the time until she is used to being left with it?
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Sat Jan 04 2014, 22:04

She is totally cute. It's the first time I've walked a dog and people have actually smiled at me (Rupes's physique has opposite effect on people...)

Do you think she is Staffy-something? The dog warden said Akita colouring, which seems accurate. She is very calm in the house - v unStaffy-like (although I've only ever had one Staffy, so perhaps there are super calm ones too?)
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Sat Jan 04 2014, 22:29

I would have thought she'd have a thicker coat if she had some akita in her?
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Evesmam Sat Jan 04 2014, 22:35

Doesn't look like Akita in her to me our Kai is a staffy akita cross
New foster dog - wonderful Domino - questions. 1528484_212410292276542_1182781565_n
Evesmam
Evesmam
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara n Ozzy Sat Jan 04 2014, 22:36

I'm sorry. Have no idea but my goodness shes gorgeous I am sure others will be along shortly to help you, Keith gas been through this and ella has lads of experience also biscuits mum could help you, I am sure they will be along soon xxxx
Sara n Ozzy
Sara n Ozzy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ozzy
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Dog Gender(s) : Boy
Support total : 956

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Sat Jan 04 2014, 22:37

Evesmam wrote:Doesn't look like Akita in her to me our Kai is a staffy akita cross
New foster dog - wonderful Domino - questions. 1528484_212410292276542_1182781565_n

Oh not as furry as I would have thought! But much wider muzzle, and gorgeous by the way  Big Grin 
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Evesmam Sat Jan 04 2014, 22:43

Thank you he is a real softy, his coat is like a short haired GSD,
Evesmam
Evesmam

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Evesmam Sat Jan 04 2014, 22:47

Could she have JRT in her, the first picture makes me think that,
Evesmam
Evesmam

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Sat Jan 04 2014, 22:48

Yes I can maybe see that but quite tall?
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Sun Jan 05 2014, 09:39

Well done on the foster Smile In regards to breed, it's really hard to tell without seeing her.. is she bigger than Rupert was at his age? Is her coat longer, thicker or more wirey? I can see the beagle reference!

Separation anxiety is tough.. she's panicking, she's a terrier! Was she crate trained before you attempted to leave her in there overnight? I'd imagine it's more that she's been pandered to and never left in her previous home rather than abandonment, but that could also play a part. First of all, find what she REALLY, REALLY likes.. my foster boy Max LOVES stag bars but Biscuit thinks they're boring with a capital B! She's much happier with a stuffed kong.. might even be a toy if your girl isn't foodie. Reserve this special toy or treat for training only, she needs to get excited about being left on her own.

This is a good link;
http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-behavior/separation-anxiety

Does she get het up before you leave the house? For example, when you're getting your coat on or picking up your keys?

Also, just a general concern... how long are you jogging with her for?! I'd be a little cautious of taking her at 5 months while she's still developing?
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Sun Jan 05 2014, 11:06

Hello everyone

I have been finding your comments really useful. Thank you. Any more thoughts are much appreciated.

Jogging: I jog for about two minutes and then give up. I suppose what I meant is that, among her long list of qualities, she would make someone a very good jogging companion.

I know what you mean about finding something she really really likes. It is really helpful being reminded on here of the obvious. Just last night I identified her all-time favourite thing so far. They both eat raw but Domino loves raw bones more than life itself. What I am doing right this second is leaving her in a room while I clean downstairs. She's with her bone. Check on her occasionally. She's also had a big breakfast and a good work out with Rupert in the park.

As to crate training - no she had no training at all. Perhaps a tiny bit of house training. Regarding being molly-coddled - yes, that is very possible. She is so unbearably cute - people come up to me to stroke her all the time - and I can imagine in a household it would be easy to just have her around all the time, especially as she is so calm. Then - when you go out - she gets very upset, and her anxiety escalates.

I am going to look at that link. Meanwhile - for crate training - should I get a second crate? One for the living room (tv) and one for my room?

ps she is fine if left in the car with Rupert. Just not in the house.

As to her mystery cross -breed. Here is what I have noticed about her.

Coat
Very fluffy and very soft. Hair is less coarse than Staffy hair and the coat is thicker and longer. She smells a bit more strongly than Rupert which might be because she is fluffier.

Character
Extremely calm in the house and not obsessive about anything. Doesn't chase things. Indifferent to geese, cats and so on. She doesn't feel very terrier-like in that sense. She is playful but in a light-hearted way. Very good with children as she is completely undemanding. Not mouthy with people at all. Is mouthy when playing with Rupert.

Cuddliness
She is very affectionate but she is not a cuddle monster like Rupert is. She just likes to hang out near the nearest person and go straight to sleep next to them. Rupert - as are a lot of Staffies, I think? - is very in your face affectionate and loves massages and cuddles and has an endless appetite for both. Rupert is much more "interactive", loves games and puzzles and won't rest until he has solved them. Domino is also lower energy than Rupert.

Gait
She is long legged and more graceful but also more colt-like than Rupert or the other Staffies I know. She can also swim quite well and doesn't have a problem with rain like Rupert does.

Confidence
She is fine with all other dogs but likes to stick to my side. Rupert has always been an adventurer and will go exploring/squirrel-chasing when we go for a walk. I had to work quite a bit on his recall. Domino hangs out with me and is very easy in that sense. She doesn't seem to have that terrier thing where they go temporarily deaf when something exciting or squirrel-y shows up.

Barking
Doesn't bark except when she thinks there is someone coming into the house, or when she has v bad separation anxiety.

Paws
Claws are white (not black, like most Staffies). Paws seem longer and more elegant, with longer "wrists" than Staffies. She is also relatively narrow, and fairly elegant looking, I suppose.

Cleanliness
Is very clean and licks herself like a cat when she has been rained on. She does, however, like to roll in stuff in the park which I have never experienced with Rupert.

Determination
She is more of a scavenger than Rupert, constantly dipping her head into passing rubbish bins and so on. However, Rupert is more obsessive. If I hide a treat for him, he will not rest until he finds it. Domino doesn't have that focus. I suppose she's a bit less "intense" than Rupert, although also a little more anxious.

Finally, she is not very muscular at all.

What is she...?
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Sun Jan 05 2014, 11:10

Evesmam - she hasn't got the build of your Kai but the colouring is very similar indeed.

Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Sun Jan 05 2014, 11:19

ps

Somebody suggested she might be a boxer cross. In the States (of course) they call Akita/Boxer crosses "Boxitas". I love the idea of rebranding unwanted mixed-breeds as designer dogs, if only to get them adopted:

Staffy/Pomeranian: Pombull
Staffy/Collie: Stollie
Staffy/Labrador: Staffrador
Staffy/Poodle: Stoodle

etc
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Evesmam Sun Jan 05 2014, 11:29

Staffy/Akita = Bulkita,
Evesmam
Evesmam

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Jan 05 2014, 14:04

I thought she had a look of boxer about her too  Smile 
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 05 2014, 14:33

Ooh I don't know Rottie? she is a gorgeous girl and a fab name  Love Struck 

Back to top Go down

Post by flowerbud Sun Jan 05 2014, 20:23

No expert but I thought some Akita in there somewhere. Be interesting to see how she grows and changes, depending on how long she stays with you
flowerbud
flowerbud

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Alfie
Dog(s) Ages : 2yrs
Support total : 738

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Tue Jan 07 2014, 08:14

Rupertsbooks wrote:Hello everyone

I have been finding your comments really useful. Thank you. Any more thoughts are much appreciated.

Jogging: I jog for about two minutes and then give up. I suppose what I meant is that, among her long list of qualities, she would make someone a very good jogging companion.

I know what you mean about finding something she really really likes. It is really helpful being reminded on here of the obvious. Just last night I identified her all-time favourite thing so far. They both eat raw but Domino loves raw bones more than life itself. What I am doing right this second is leaving her in a room while I clean downstairs. She's with her bone. Check on her occasionally. She's also had a big breakfast and a good work out with Rupert in the park.

As to crate training - no she had no training at all. Perhaps a tiny bit of house training. Regarding being molly-coddled - yes, that is very possible. She is so unbearably cute - people come up to me to stroke her all the time - and I can imagine in a household it would be easy to just have her around all the time, especially as she is so calm. Then - when you go out - she gets very upset, and her anxiety escalates.

I am going to look at that link. Meanwhile - for crate training - should I get a second crate? One for the living room (tv) and one for my room?

ps she is fine if left in the car with Rupert. Just not in the house.

As to her mystery cross -breed. Here is what I have noticed about her.

Coat
Very fluffy and very soft. Hair is less coarse than Staffy hair and the coat is thicker and longer. She smells a bit more strongly than Rupert which might be because she is fluffier.

Character
Extremely calm in the house and not obsessive about anything. Doesn't chase things. Indifferent to geese, cats and so on. She doesn't feel very terrier-like in that sense. She is playful but in a light-hearted way. Very good with children as she is completely undemanding. Not mouthy with people at all. Is mouthy when playing with Rupert.

Cuddliness
She is very affectionate but she is not a cuddle monster like Rupert is. She just likes to hang out near the nearest person and go straight to sleep next to them. Rupert - as are a lot of Staffies, I think? - is very in your face affectionate and loves massages and cuddles and has an endless appetite for both. Rupert is much more "interactive", loves games and puzzles and won't rest until he has solved them. Domino is also lower energy than Rupert.

Gait
She is long legged and more graceful but also more colt-like than Rupert or the other Staffies I know. She can also swim quite well and doesn't have a problem with rain like Rupert does.

Confidence
She is fine with all other dogs but likes to stick to my side. Rupert has always been an adventurer and will go exploring/squirrel-chasing when we go for a walk. I had to work quite a bit on his recall. Domino hangs out with me and is very easy in that sense. She doesn't seem to have that terrier thing where they go temporarily deaf when something exciting or squirrel-y shows up.

Barking
Doesn't bark except when she thinks there is someone coming into the house, or when she has v bad separation anxiety.

Paws
Claws are white (not black, like most Staffies). Paws seem longer and more elegant, with longer "wrists" than Staffies. She is also relatively narrow, and fairly elegant looking, I suppose.  

Cleanliness
Is very clean and licks herself like a cat when she has been rained on. She does, however, like to roll in stuff in the park which I have never experienced with Rupert.

Determination
She is more of a scavenger than Rupert, constantly dipping her head into passing rubbish bins and so on. However, Rupert is more obsessive. If I hide a treat for him, he will not rest until he finds it. Domino doesn't have that focus. I suppose she's a bit less "intense" than Rupert, although also a little more anxious.

Finally, she is not very muscular at all.

What is she...?

Haha!! You sound like me when i'm jogging.. luckily Biscuit's just as hopeless!

How did she get on being left with her bone? That's what the sites for! None of us are experts but 2/3/4/5/6 heads are better than 1! I often call my behaviourist to ask a question and she'll go "Think, Rach!" and it will come to me..

Second crate may be helpful, though if she stays as calm as she is now she may never need one though. First things first though, I would very slowly crate train her to stop the panicking when she's in there. It needs to be her safe haven, have you crate trained before? If not, there's a wealth of information on here, or on google.

She sounds VERY akita to me in personality.. remember just because she doesn't look like the other cross pictured it doesn't mean that she isn't. Cross breeds come in all shapes and sizes, I have a lab/staffy foster boy at the moment and he looks entirely different to my previous lab/staffy cross foster! Sometimes the opposite characteristics are more dominant. Though her colour is akita, she may even have another breed in her, her face is quite slender though she looks like she's got big old paws! Of all of the akitas that I've worked with, they're generally a little aloof and show their affection if their own way.. very calm and laid back. I could be wrong though!

Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Thu Jan 09 2014, 18:39

Rachel33, thank you for your feedback. I know nothing about Akitas except for what I have recently read and it's helpful to have a steer. God, she's cute. There is a chance we have found an adopter. I will know more soon...

Meanwhile separation anxiety continues. I am trying various things. She is getting better, I think - but slowly. Crate training progressing slowly. But progressing.
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down