Skye

Go down

Skye Empty Skye

Post by Guest Sun May 08 2011, 17:01

Heya
So we picked skye up yesturday and she is teeny! lol .. Her and Vinnie Are still getting used too each other, they are currently asleep next to each other, and they lick each other etc .. The only time i ever have any trouble is when Skye is on the floor, Vinnie just wants to play (i hope) because only being 9months old himself his still got all that bouncy puppy energy and he towers over skye lol he mouths her and she warns him of then vinnie will back off but if his very excited he mouths her etc but i am putting this down to playfull puppyness would i be right? .. He's never growled at her or barked at her etc, just gets very excited when shes woddling around the floor, but we only picked her up y.day so hes gotta get used to her, He let her all over his head this morn while he was eating his bone so i am pretty sure its just pups been pups. Smile
Any ideas? just too put my mind at ease Laughing
Piks uploading now Smile

Back to top Go down

Skye Empty Re: Skye

Post by janey Sun May 08 2011, 17:48

I've only ever had 1 dog, but I'm guessing there just adapting, maybe finding a pecking order, I shouldn't worry though from your photos which I must say are so cute (hadn't realised you only got her yesterday) they seem to be getting on fine. x x x
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 08 2011, 17:57

Yeea, thats what i thought, figuring out whos going to be the dominate one maybe?
Yeea they dont attack each other which is good they just dont take no crap from each other lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 08 2011, 19:23

They are getting to know each but it is very important you put some boundaries up when he is being a little unpolite when it comes to playing to roughly and mouthing her, she may get to used to snapping at him then you will have problems, if you can see when she is becoming uncomfortable step in and back him off they shouldn't take any crap from each other because you should step in. For the first few days do try and keep things a little calm as it can be very overwelming for both dogs, comfirm the boundaries so they both know where they stand, when he is eating his bone and she is walking, standing over his head this is dominant behaviour and it can turn around very quickly if he decides he has had enough and you are not going to stop it, so he will.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 08 2011, 23:39

MissRogue wrote:They are getting to know each but it is very important you put some boundaries up when he is being a little unpolite when it comes to playing to roughly and mouthing her, she may get to used to snapping at him then you will have problems, if you can see when she is becoming uncomfortable step in and back him off they shouldn't take any crap from each other because you should step in. For the first few days do try and keep things a little calm as it can be very overwelming for both dogs, comfirm the boundaries so they both know where they stand, when he is eating his bone and she is walking, standing over his head this is dominant behaviour and it can turn around very quickly if he decides he has had enough and you are not going to stop it, so he will.

Thanks for the advice! Smile .. It seems to be more so Skye to be honest .. Vinnie will sniff her and nudge her a little and she reacts by small growls and if he keeps on she starts to try and bite his nose so we remove her from it and distract vinnie is this the right thing to do?? .. It seems that the more she reacts the more excitable Vinnie gets! Vinnie will move when we say like NO ENOUGH! but he still wants to go and play with her, we just watch with extra caution not just because they only met yesturday but because she is so small compared to him aswell, so what he thinks is normal play is a lil to rough for her size.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 08 2011, 23:42

Oh! i also forgot to add, at the moment we have been letting them play more so on the setea because on the floor he can follow her to play etc, so to start i have 1 dog and someone else in my house has another .. we let them sniff etc etc, keep reasuring vinnie he is been good etc, and let them get closer n' closer etc then when it gets a lil too rough for skye i can easily remove them both from each other
is this a good thing to do or?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 10 2011, 14:05

I'v always disagreed with seperating each dog because they leave each other on bad terms so when they meet again it'll be the bad terms in the mind not the good terms also the bad terms will be left in your mind so your energy of thinking something is going to happen might actually make something happen, When things do get out of hand try laying them down next to each on their side too calm them (don't pin just gently hold even scrunch their skin with your fingers like a massage remembering to be calm yourself), once calm (you'll notice this by perhaps a big sigh/breath or releaf from each dog, their legs body will by relaxed you should feel that their not rigid) release them, and let them try again (also good in actually fights). You can practice this before hand so the dogs get used to it and its a really nice thing to give your dogs and the scrunching/massages have been known to calm the people as well. little tiny behaviour such as him nudging her a firm no or a snap of your fingers, but she also has to learn how to play as well, so i would allow the nudging which is him encouraging her if she feels like playing she will if she doesn't (you'll notice by her body language) get him to leave alone, could also try throwing a toy between them both instant distraction and back onto the playful side of things.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 10 2011, 14:24

thanks for the advice!! =) The part about the lying them down next to each other and calming my mom actually did that too them today and your right it does work!, they went onto chewing there bones, but then ofcourse skye been skye had to rob vinnies lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 10 2011, 15:08

A crate or person seperation is good when it comes to them leaving each other alone when food is involved. its just give them a little understand where they both stand when it comes to food and that they should keep to their own not each others, when you see her approach him and his bone turn her around and shuv her beackside towards her bone, pick it and drop it so she knows what your pushing her towards.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 10 2011, 16:14

Ok, i'l try that one! thankyou Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down