Brought Prince some decent food (I think)

2 posters

Go down

Brought Prince some decent food (I think) Empty Brought Prince some decent food (I think)

Post by Night Crawler Sat May 07 2011, 20:06

We were looking around the pet shop today at the different dog foods and looking at the ingredients, I didn't like many of them. Then we came across 2 that I liked the look of.
The first is made by Arden Grange. The Partners Super Premium Canned Dog Food. There was a choice of 3 on the shelf. Fresh chicken, rice and veg. Fresh tripe, rice and veg. And Lamb, rice and veg. I decided to get a 6 pack of the lamb to see if Prince is ok with it. It seemed quite well priced for something that's SUPER Premium. I cant remember how much it was, but for a 24 pack off their website, its £24.70. That works out at almost £1.03 per can.
HERE is their page describing the food I brought today.

I also brought some of Naturediet's food today as well. They come in plastic packs instead of tins and there are even instructions on how to microwave them if you want to give your dog warm food. I brought 3 different packs for Prince to try. Chicken and veg with rice, Lamb with veg and rice, Fish with potato and rice.
HERE is their page on the different foods.
These were quite cheap as well. I think they were something like 78p per pack, or you could get a case of 18 for a slightly discounted price. They contain almost as much as the tins (390g).

I liked the look of both products because from reading the labels, they seem to use Proper ingredients instead of things like 'meat derived from mammals'... Which I have seen on quite a few foods. Also, after reading the info on both websites, I like them even more. Prince has just had 1/2 a tin of the Arden Grange with some dry food we got from the previous owner. On opening the tin, it wasn't quite what I expected. For some reason, i was expecting chunks of meat. Instead, it was all mushed up, but you could see bits of rice and veg in there. I had a smell and it smelt loads better that what he was previously on. So I gave Prince his food and I'm not kidding, the bowl was clean and shiny in less than a minute. He seemed to really love it.
So, what do you guys think of these? Have a quick read of the websites as well. Are they just filling my head with a load of rubbish, or do they seem genuine?
Night Crawler
Night Crawler
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Prince & Star
Dog Gender(s) : Male & Female
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Brought Prince some decent food (I think) Empty Re: Brought Prince some decent food (I think)

Post by Guest Sat May 07 2011, 22:46

arden grange are a good dog food company so yes you have went with a good product but have you considered a dry diet as it works out a lot cheaper and a lot less mess and furmer stools and a lot better for there teeth

Back to top Go down

Brought Prince some decent food (I think) Empty Re: Brought Prince some decent food (I think)

Post by Night Crawler Sat May 07 2011, 23:42

Brill, I found some good food Smile
Yea, I have thought about giving just dry food, but decided against it. I dunno why but I just feel that giving dry food all the time would be a little boring for him. I want to be able to give Prince some variety. So I feed him wet mixed with dry food. That way he also has the best of both.
I also don't want him to eat and taste the same thing over and over. Ok, if he likes it and its good for him, then why change it? I agree with the statement but the way I see it, If you were given the same meal every day for the rest of your life, how would you feel? That's one reason why I don't want to give just dry food. Also, I see it as another stimulant. Prince would be like, 'Oh this is different from yesterday. Mmm this is nice.'
Night Crawler
Night Crawler

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 08 2011, 08:34

Arden grange is one of the best! Well done u Big Grin xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Tue May 10 2011, 13:01

Natures diet is also very good, great nutritionally and you should see firmer harder stools.
Nosipho
Nosipho
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 10 2011, 13:06

They're both good foods, so lucky Prince!!

Night Crawler wrote: If you were given the same meal every day for the rest of your life, how would you feel? That's one reason why I don't want to give just dry food. Also, I see it as another stimulant. Prince would be like, 'Oh this is different from yesterday. Mmm this is nice.'

That's one reason I feed raw, he has something a little different most days, so he doesn't get bored. Also, it's all similar enough that changing doesn't upset his stomach.

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Crawler Tue May 10 2011, 13:22

Yea, I thought about the upset stomach bit afterwards.
For some reason, I'm not a big fan of giving raw food. I know its what they would eat out in the wild and its good for them. Its probably because I'm so used to cooking for our benefit.
Night Crawler
Night Crawler

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 10 2011, 13:26

I was very much into cooked/commercial food until I started doing a bit of research on the raw. Quite a few people on the Bull Terrier forum I post on feed raw & their dogs are wonderfully healthy, with a few of them getting over horrible allergies/skin complaints after switching, so I thought I'd give it a go. I've never looked back.

Mind you, it isn't right for everyone, or even every dog!

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Crawler Tue May 10 2011, 13:31

I'll probably give it a go. Gotta go the butchers today anyway. Are there any recipes on here, or will I have to go googling?
Night Crawler
Night Crawler

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 10 2011, 14:02

Have a look at this...
http://www.rawmeatybones.com/petowners/whatisrmb.php

You'll need to do a bit of research before you attempt it, though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Crawler Tue May 10 2011, 14:40

Cheers for the link. Gonna have a read now Smile
Night Crawler
Night Crawler

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down