Our "Special" Girl

2 posters

Go down

Our "Special" Girl  Empty Our "Special" Girl

Post by Zara82 Mon Dec 02 2013, 10:54

Hey,

Just got Zara back from the vet and the vet happened to notice something about Zara.

She brought it to our attention that Zara always tilts her head to the side (we thought that was pretty standard) and she drags her back leg, can be a little clumsy on her feet and sometimes loses balance (again, being 8 weeks we thought maybe it was just puppy walk).

The VET seems to think Zara has Neurological Problems and says that she is a "Special" girl. She did mention seeing a neurologist but she says it may not be serious enough.

I am leaning towards looking into it further, especially after reading more about it.

Has anyone else experienced the same situation? I am concerned it could turn out to be a tumor, or other form of brain injury that may cause her pain in the future.

I understand the costs involved are quite high and if it means finding out what is going on in my babys brain then cost is no problem, but what are the side effects?

What the VET did find amusing is that when Zara went to look at something on the floor, she looked a little closer and actually did a handstand. We did have to laugh about it and hoping she can do it again so we can see!
Zara82
Zara82
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Zara
Dog(s) Ages : 6 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Our "Special" Girl  Empty Re: Our "Special" Girl

Post by Sazzle Mon Dec 02 2013, 12:27

You could see if your insurance would cover the cost?
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 02 2013, 12:47

Aww Zara Love Struck Love Struck sorry I've no experience but as saz says you could see if your insurance company will cover the Costs for tests, have you spoke to her breeder to see if they can shed any light on the situation?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 02 2013, 14:56

Aww poor Zara advice as above do keep us posted xxx

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 02 2013, 16:55

I think your first stop should be the breeder. Find out if any of the other pups are affected, or maybe if there was difficulty at her birth. Did she ever have problems feeding from her mum?

If your insurance will cover it, then I'd probably look into it further, but I'd be a little worried about general anaesthetic proceedures at such a tender age.Sad 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 02 2013, 21:37

Please get your pup checked for L2-HGA. Ruby has done the handstand thing before and the disease is neurological. The test is available from the animal health trust in Newmarket and costs £48. An MRI or CAT scan can't detect it. If positive contact the breeder as possible more pups could be affected .

Back to top Go down

Post by Zara82 Tue Dec 03 2013, 07:34

Janemiles13 wrote:Please get your pup checked for L2-HGA. Ruby has done the handstand thing before and the disease is neurological. The test is available from the animal health trust in Newmarket and costs £48. An MRI or CAT scan can't detect it. If positive contact the breeder as possible more pups could be affected .
Hi Jane,

I have read up on he L2-HGA and it seems she is doing most of these things. I am in Sydney, Australia and currently looking into getting the test done. Luckily she is going to puppy pre school tonight at our her VET so I will be able to ask them for more info. How is Ruby doing? I hear the dogs can get seizures or epileptic fits. Is this the case? Zara is only 9 weeks old and to be honest since sunday I can't stop crying. I just can bear it to think she may be suffering and it would be really good to know how Ruby is. I have started to feel a little better after hearing other ppls experience with this disease.
Zara82
Zara82

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 03 2013, 07:48

Speak to your vet first and have the test before reading Ruby's story and getting more upset. Ruby was diagnosed at 5 this April. If you look on the health issues on this forum Ruby's story is under L2HGA, also if you look on Facebook there's a lady who had an affected dog called Bailey. It's called Baileys story living with L2HGA . The neurologist we were under told me when dogs fit they don't feel and pain. Big hugs to you and Zara x Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 03 2013, 08:55

Please do get the test done. If nothing else, it could rule out one potential problem!

Is your pup registered, and were her parents tested for L2HGA?

Back to top Go down

Post by Zara82 Tue Dec 03 2013, 10:02

Caryll wrote:Please do get the test done. If nothing else, it could rule out one potential problem!

Is your pup registered, and were her parents tested for L2HGA?
I am going to get a test done.. Zara is registered and for the other Im not sure. But did speak to the trainer and she says Zara was let go too early. The breeder told me that she was ready for pick up but when looking at the paperwork she was only 7 weeks. Which in Australia is Illegal.. My trainer has given me some great tips and a contact to some breeders (border collies) who are very knowledgeable with other breeds and who are also vets.. We are going to aim to get her weight up which after weighing her again she has gone up another .4kgs since sunday... so she is sitting just below the weight she should be. The trainer says this guy is a bulk breeder and only in it for the money and says she will help with getting compensation to go towards Zaras health and then reporting him to dogs NSW if he doesn't comply because breeding dogs and not caring for them is in my eyes brutal. If Zara does have L2HGA I understand it is going to be a long road and medication for the rest of her life ! This VET that I have been referred to will help me help Zara with whatever she is facing.

But testing is definitely not out of the question !!
Zara82
Zara82

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down