Possible to rescue a staffy with pedigree?

4 posters

Go down

Possible to rescue a staffy with pedigree? Empty Possible to rescue a staffy with pedigree?

Post by Nojoke Tue Nov 05 2013, 13:55

Hi, I am looking into adopting or rescuing a dog in 6-7 months time.
BUT, due to the fact that the dog will need to travel with me abroad, like when I am moving to Norway in 3,5 years, the dog MUST have a pedigree since I have to prove that the dog is not an illegal breed/mix.

This is the main issue for me, I just cannot adopt a dog without pedigree, as the dog will then need to be rehomed again, which is not fair. Is it even realistic finding one with a pedigree?

Nojoke
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Possible to rescue a staffy with pedigree? Empty Re: Possible to rescue a staffy with pedigree?

Post by janey Tue Nov 05 2013, 13:58

I think it might be tricky but certainly worth looking into....I think you would need to contact your rescue and ask directly Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Possible to rescue a staffy with pedigree? Empty Re: Possible to rescue a staffy with pedigree?

Post by Guest Tue Nov 05 2013, 14:16

I agree with janey, contact all local rescues and ask Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 05 2013, 18:33

Yes contact them all it doesn't hurt to ask Big Grin 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 05 2013, 19:03

if you know you are moving in so many years i would not get a dog until you are settled. getting a dog knowin it may need rehomed cause i plan to move is not something i could live with.

if you are determained to get one, then your best bet is to get a puppy with all the papers. i know you want to rescue but rescues will not hand out pedigree papers cause 99% don't have them. private sellers/rehoming may have the papers but you would need to make sure they are real.

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Tue Nov 05 2013, 20:08

Most dogs come into rescue via the pound, having been picked up as strays.

If they're chipped, or an owner comes forward, they *may* get to go home again.

Otherwise, they serve their pound time and a) either get put to sleep or b) sent to rescues.

These won't have papers, unless the dog somehow arrived with them in its mouth.

I am unaware of Norway being so stringent as to need pedigree papers to prove a dog is not on the banned list.

Last I heard, a passport was sufficient, together with up-to-date jabs and a very recent vet once-over.
Keith
Keith

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Wingo and Captain Weemo
Dog(s) Ages : Probably about four and, er, ten maybe?
Dog Gender(s) : one of each
Support total : 181

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 05 2013, 20:12

You could try approaching your local breed specific rescue , contact your local staffordshire bull terrrier club and they may be able to advise you where it is . Many of the dogs coming in this route are pedigree and their history may be known very well , big question is whether they will let you have the papers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 05 2013, 20:14

Norway is another country that has banned 'pit bull types' or 'fighting dog types'.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 05 2013, 21:58

Does that include staff?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Nov 06 2013, 10:51

Hayley wrote:if you know you are moving in so many years i would not get a dog until you are settled. getting a dog knowin it may need rehomed cause i plan to move is not something i could live with.

I would tend to agree with Hayley here, why not just wait until you have moved and settled then look into getting a dog there.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Nojoke Wed Nov 06 2013, 12:19

That is very easy to answer. First of all I will never get a dog that will have to be rehomed, I want to have it for life, which is exactly why I am looking into this. The easy thing would just be to get a puppy from a breeder. It is not a money issue. Secondly, no dog will suffer from moving together with their owner. Everyone moves now and then. Thirdly, this is the best time for me to have young dog/ a dog that require a lot of time

So I argue that getting a dog in 3,5 years because I have moved then, is the least important when it comes to benefits for the dog;)

Nojoke

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Nojoke Wed Nov 06 2013, 12:21

Hayley wrote:Does that include staff?
No it does not include staff, but you need to prove that it is not a mix that includes the breeds banned by legislation. Some people and officers can´t see the difference, and if police/vet/Toll customs ask, you need to have the papers, otherwise the dog can be put down.

Nojoke

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 06 2013, 12:34

It's possible to rescue a dog with papers, but there are very few of them available.

You could try contacting a Stafford specific rescue and explain the situation - they may be able to point you in the right direction.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 06 2013, 21:18

Caryll wrote:Norway is another country that has banned 'pit bull types' or 'fighting dog types'.
Sure we have had members on here in the past from Norway thinking thinking 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 06 2013, 21:18

Yes, we have, but they have had registered staffords, so they're ok.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 06 2013, 22:36

Caryll wrote:Yes, we have, but they have had registered staffords, so they're ok.
Thats what I mean as long as they are registered they are ok

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down