AllBran breakfast cereal

Go down

AllBran breakfast cereal Empty AllBran breakfast cereal

Post by Guest Thu Oct 17 2013, 21:19

We all know that AllBran is good for regulating human bowels.

Does anyone know if it is a good idea or a bad idea to give just a little bit to a dog who has the squits?

Back to top Go down

AllBran breakfast cereal Empty Re: AllBran breakfast cereal

Post by Guest Thu Oct 17 2013, 21:22

Bad, I'd say. Bran is used to keep you regular & make motions easier to pass - that really isn't what you want to do with bum gravy!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 17 2013, 21:24

Bum Gravy Laughing No I wouldn't but thanks for reminding me what its called I have been racking my brains trying to remember! Big Grin 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 17 2013, 21:34

Thank you Caryll. I just wondered if it might help bulk up things a bit so that the "gravy" is absorbed into it.

I just wondered if anyone has actually tried feeding a bit of AllBran to their dogs (not as a main meal, of course!), maybe just as a breakfast or mixed into the normal main meal, and whether it helped - or not.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 17 2013, 21:36

I must admit I've never given it, but then I won't touch the horrible stuff myself, either!Laughing 

I'd give a couple of hard boiled eggs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 17 2013, 21:37

Or Kaogel.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 17 2013, 21:43

Bum gravy rolling on the floor oh how I love this term Mrs C Laughing I'd stearin clear of it Lynda but kaogel is great thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 17 2013, 21:49

Bran is fibre, fibre makes you *. No from me

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 17 2013, 22:01

Thanks Caryll. Never heard of Kaogel so have just looked it up - basically a Kaolin mixture - Kaolin is mud, yes? Maybe I'll ask my pharmacist if a Kaolin preparation (without the morphine which used to be included!) is still available.

I think every day that Kuchar is over it when he passes an almost normal poo, but later in the day he does another nasty runny one.

He has been suffering from a sort of cold (which I have mentioned elsewhere) for the last week; he hasn't got a runny nose but seems to snort it back and I guess the mucus has to go somewhere!

Sorry about the graphic details folks sick 

I've tried dry scrambled eggs with no good result and I know you have recommended hard boiled eggs earlier this week (together with pro-biotic yoghurt). Should I try hard-boiled eggs (how many?) chopped up in the yoghurt as a replacement for his normal main meal?

Sorry to be a pain but this has been going on for a week now. I really do appreciate your advice.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 17 2013, 22:13

I'm not sure that most pharmacists will give you a kaolin mixture. Some won't even stock kaolin & morphine any more.Sad 

You could get kaogel from amazon, but it'll obviously take a couple of days to get to you.

I usually boil 2 eggs & either give them whole or roughly cut them up for breakfast, then give a tablespoon of natural probiotic yoghurt mid-day. Then another two eggs in the evening & mybe another tablespoon of yoghurt with them or after them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 17 2013, 22:19

I would give a couple of eggs. You can still get Kaolin and Morphine at the chemist. There is only a tiny % morphine in it biggrin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 17 2013, 22:21

Boots do a paediatric kaolin I've had it for molly Lynda, no morphine in it Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 17 2013, 22:24

Darcy-may wrote:Boots do a paediatric kaolin I've had it for molly Lynda, no morphine in it Big Grin
I didn't know that!

If you go for that, don't tell them it's for the dog or they won't sell it to you!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 17 2013, 23:07

Thank you all my lovelies, I do appreciate your input and hopefully it will help others, too.

I'm going to try your eggs and yoghurt regime tomorrow Caryll, thank you.

I appreciate your advice about the kaolin Hayley and Claire, but the pharmacists round here give you the third degree about any medication you try to buy and make you feel like a criminal. I can't lie to save my life, so when they say (as they will) "who's it for" I'd have to say "Look, my dog's got the sh1ts" - my face would give me away if I tried to bluff.

Eggs and yoghurt tomorrow!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 17 2013, 23:12

Caryll wrote:
Darcy-may wrote:Boots do a paediatric kaolin I've had it for molly Lynda, no morphine in it Big Grin
I didn't know that!

If you go for that, don't tell them it's for the dog or they won't sell it to you!
I've only ever managed to get it in boots though not any other chemist but it's great Big Grin

Totally of topic but my mum once gave my nephew a tea spoon of calamine lotion by mistake thinking it was kaolin, hence instead if settling his tummy he through up more sick had no spots inside though Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 18 2013, 11:07

Lynda wrote:  I can't lie to save my life, so when they say (as they will) "who's it for" I'd have to say "Look, my dog's got the sh1ts" - my face would give me away if I tried to bluff.

Eggs and yoghurt tomorrow!  
rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 18 2013, 18:34

Nah, I wouldn't chance it. Smile With humans, bran can regulate bowel movements.

However, it's usually a fix for dietry problems - if somebody hasn't been eating enough fresh fruit and vegetables, for instance. For illness or irregular bowel movements that aren't related to bad diet choices, it can worsen diarrhoea, is it's difficult for the body to digest. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down