Another Incident

3 posters

Go down

Another Incident Empty Another Incident

Post by Nor Cal Wed Oct 16 2013, 20:36

Went for a walk with Bacon today and ran into another Staffy owner. They are so rare here in the US, so we decided to see how they would get on. Both were attached males and as soon as we let them greet the other dog started trying to hump Bacon. Bacon reacted and grabbed the other dog by the lip. They were locked for a few seconds and we were able to get them apart with none of our dogs getting hurt. After that, we stepped a few feet back and I was talking to the owner. Bacon proceeded to cower behind me. I could tell that he was a bit afraid or scared. This is very unusual behavior for him. Actually, I've never seen him act like that in regards to another dog.

We then proceeded to walk them side by side for awhile. Both still wanted to go up to each other but we kept them apart to try to calm them down.

I have to admit, I was not very happy with how the situation unfolded. It's worrying because now I am worried to let him play with dogs he gets along with. I hate when this happens! Do I need to consider that my dog might be dog aggressive? How would I know? Or, is this just bound to happen when two attached male staffy's meet?
Nor Cal
Nor Cal
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bacon
Dog(s) Ages : Born 3/24/12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 26

Back to top Go down

Another Incident Empty Re: Another Incident

Post by Guest Wed Oct 16 2013, 20:45

I think it perhaps was a case of dominance as humping can be a sign of this. I don't think you need to worry, our dogs don't like every dog they meet, much like us really we don't like everyone either.Big Grin 

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Oct 16 2013, 20:55

As Inez says not every dog will get along with every other dog, take a look at the link below to check a dogs body language:

http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/dog_body_language
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 16 2013, 21:02

Darcy doesn't like other dogs sniffing her rear if she's on lead, perhaps bacon is the same, have a read through the link Kathy posted, but as inez says they don't like every dog they meet Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 16 2013, 21:10

I'd agree with Inez. Some dogs feel the need to assert their dominance in the pecking order by trying to mount the other dog. Nothing sexual!
Bitches can do it too.

Bacon obviously didn't care for the behaviour and told the other dog so.

I'd be surprised if this incident turned Bacon into DA - please don't be worried about him playing with dogs he already gets along with.

It's nothing to do with breed, it's just that some dogs feel the need to establish that they are "top dog", and once they understand that they can't get away with it they often settle down to be playmates, or at least tolerate each other. If the two dogs can't agree about this, or the would-be "dominant" dog continues to try to establish his "superiority" than it's best to agree between dog owners that the two be kept apart. The other dog's loss in this case, but not your problem. Your own dog will still have plenty of other dogs whose company he can enjoy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 16 2013, 21:17

Nobody should allow their dog to hump another dog, it will often lead to problems!

Bacon will be fine, especially if the next few experiences are good, controlled ones!thumbs up 

Back to top Go down

Post by Nor Cal Wed Oct 16 2013, 21:20

Thanks for the reassurance. Both seemed to be trying to dominate the other when they were interacting. It's a bit difficult to read body language in the moment because it happens so fast!

I understand that the other dogs attempt at humping Bacon is what made him react, I was just shocked at the severity of his response. I mean maybe a bark and a growl could have sufficed but he went strait at the other dog and grabbed hold of it. Had they been off lead it woould have been ugly.

Nor Cal
Nor Cal

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 16 2013, 22:02

That's a typical stafford response, though. They do tend to react to situations like that in a split second, and with full force.

Back to top Go down

Post by cesca1 Wed Oct 16 2013, 22:35

Our spaniel is like this with one particular chocolate lab called Ollie. It's bizarre but he just doesn't seem to get on.

Molly on the other hand loves her friend Ollie and they go walking together to help her with her fear issues but we don't take Watson!
cesca1
cesca1

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog(s) Ages : 20.04.12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Nor Cal Thu Oct 17 2013, 05:36

Yet another learning experience.

It was really to interesting to see how he reacted with this dog. I wouldn't say he was scared, but he was definitely uncomfortable and let me know he did not want to be around this dog after the incident. He almost seemed to beg me to get him away from the other dog.

Nor Cal
Nor Cal

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down