Playtime Referee

5 posters

Go down

Playtime Referee Empty Playtime Referee

Post by Nor Cal Tue Oct 08 2013, 21:32

Bacon has found a new playmate over the weekend. He loved it. This time it was my cousins Boston Terrier. I was very nervous because Bacon is full throttle and very rough when he plays. With the Boston Terrier being so small, i was worried he would hurt her by trampling her.

For the first 15 mins they both did great. The terrier was very submissive and they both initiated play with each other. Then when the little terrier got tired and wanted to stop, Bacon seemed to get annoyed and started barking and got a bit mouthy with her. He began to bite her harness and also grab onto her neck. He wasn't hurting her because she did not wimper or anything but I separated them, and gave it a couple of minutes before I let them go again. It was clear after three strait times that the other dog was tired and Bacon's behavior did not change. So, we separated for good after that.

Here is my question - Was I right to separate them at that point? Or, should I have let it go on until the other dog complained and showed her displeasure? My thought process was to stop before anything escalated because I saw that the little dog was tired and that Bacon was getting frustrated because he wanted to keep playing...

Bacon's play sessions are always this way. He is relentless and always outlasts his playmate. He can't take a clue from the other dog that it's time to stop playing. It's kind of a bummer because one of the two dogs always have to go home or else Bacon will bark and whine and not settle down until the other dog is out of sight. I hope this is something that can be remedied and ironed out the more he interacts with other dogs. I haven't had the chance to setup frequent playdates for him so maybe it's just that he's been craving it for so long and it's too much for him to handle... Not sure. Hopefully someone has had similar experiences.
Nor Cal
Nor Cal
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bacon
Dog(s) Ages : Born 3/24/12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 26

Back to top Go down

Playtime Referee Empty Re: Playtime Referee

Post by Sazzle Tue Oct 08 2013, 21:35

I would have done the same as you, whether that is right or not I'll be interested to see what others would do!
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Oct 09 2013, 11:25

You most probably did the right thing in stepping in and separating them when you did. Usually a dog will let the other know when they have had enough play, whether or not the other dog reads this sign is another matter though. I think Rocky could play all day with his little friend Jack the Jack Russell he met the other day.Smile 
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Wed Oct 09 2013, 17:56

Yes. You did the right thing. It takes a really really playful dog to be able to keep up with a Staffie. This is why I have three. They play to their hearts content and when one is done, they make sure the other knows it. Problem with smaller dogs is that even though they mean it, the Staffies think it is fun and games. They sure are tenacious in their play. Only other dogs that I found could keep up are cattle dogs, boxers and other bull breeds like American bulldogs, Amstaffs and APBT.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Shontelle Wed Oct 09 2013, 18:20

I would have done exactly the same thing. You have to respect the other dogs feelings too and if your dog just wouldn't take the hint, you did the right thing Smile
Shontelle
Shontelle

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Charlie
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 09 2013, 18:20

Sounds to me like you did the correct thing Smile glad bacon enjoyed it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nor Cal Wed Oct 09 2013, 20:31

That's good to know. Hopefully I can teach him to calm down after I pull him apart.
Nor Cal
Nor Cal

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bacon
Dog(s) Ages : Born 3/24/12
Support total : 26

Back to top Go down