separation anxiety and stress

3 posters

Go down

separation anxiety and stress Empty separation anxiety and stress

Post by becks30 Thu Sep 19 2013, 10:19

Ive got a 9 month old male. We got him when he was 4 months old, he has always shaked/trembled when hes been naughty but its getting worse. He will shake when he wakes up in the morning and im saying hello to him! He has now started getting really bad separation anxiety. He will try his hardest to get out of the house, loses control of his bowels,drools and chews. Has anyone else experienced this? What can I do?

becks30
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

separation anxiety and stress Empty Re: separation anxiety and stress

Post by janey Thu Sep 19 2013, 10:31

Hiya Becks, I am affraid its not something I ever dealt with but I am sure another member will be on with some advise. Maybe you could pop over and say hi Xx

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Thu Sep 19 2013, 11:30

Pixee use to have bad seperation anxiety when we first had her. In time she has learned to calm down and not cry anymore, but wont eat anything till we are back, just her way of coping, but we know she is happy cos of the looks we get from her when we leave to what we use to get when we left her. When you say he tries hard to get out of the house, is that to do with the toilet? or just wanting to get out? What do you know of his previous history if any? (Pixee was found and taken to the blue cross, so no known history) When we tell Pixee off, she does shake sometimes but soon calms down when she knows shes only getting a verbal telling off (We know she use to get beaten before cos of her actions and some injure to her shoulder) Breaks out heart this does. All you can do is reasure your dog and let him know hes loved, in time he should get better. Pixee when we first had her, her first verbal telling off was so heart breaking, she wet herself, tried to run off and hide, but was called back, and she tried to curl up into a small as possible ball. We were shocked to say the least, so from that day on, we have been very careful with any verbal telling offs.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by becks30 Thu Sep 19 2013, 11:38

Ralph wont eat either or play/chew his toys. I think he just tries to escape to find me, he's destroyed the cat flap that was on our back door and squeezed through the gap scratching his belly and legs in the process! I have tried blocking it off to discourage him from doing it but he just destroys whatever is in his way Sad we are in the process of buying a new pvc panel so there will be no hole there. He's very clingy when im home so im trying to encourage him to be a bit more independent to see if that helps. He's such a loving friendly boy so its sad seeing him suffering Sad he hates being told off and he wets himself too. Im trying to just ignore any bad behaviour now as telling him off doesnt help x

becks30

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Thu Sep 19 2013, 12:35

I totally understand where you are coming from. Pixee can be clingy when things are different, as at this moment they are, we are currently changing our house lay out, kitchen is going into the lounge, and the old kitchen is being turned into the lounge, we have also knocked a hole through old lounge (to be new kitchen) into the dining room. I am ignoring the clingling, and tend to ignore her when she follows me round like a shadow, this in turn has somewhat reasured her that nothing bad is going to happen, and she has finally taken to lying on her best chairs again in the conney which is facing all the work going on, so thats a good sign. I wouldnt ignore any bad behaviour, as this could get out of hand. Just a small veral telling off is all that is needed. Pixee knows the word 'naughty', sometimes thats all we have to say, and she knows just what it means. After a few seconds or mins, we fuss her, this somewhat calms her. They are very clever dogs and do understand very well. We never shout at her. Just a firm quiet voice. Sometimes just a firm 'No' will do, then give your dog a fuss after a few minutes. Just let Ralph follow you around but ignore him, he will soon get fed up and start doing his own thing. Others may able to give you better advice.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down