Help getting the rite one

4 posters

Go down

Help getting the rite one Empty Help getting the rite one

Post by Sammy_1292 Sat Sep 07 2013, 20:08

Hi everyone it's time to get a new lead but my dog is very very strong she either snaps them or breaks the clip.So i went for a change and bought a slip rope lead that gets stronger when the dog pulls and I have never had a problem from it apart from now it has worn away so the rope is now very thin.Does anyone no what I mean and do you no where I can buy one from as the place I bought it from does not sell them anymore,and I can't seem to find the same one which I would much prefer as I no I can trust it.Any help I will be most greatful.
Sammy_1292
Sammy_1292
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog(s) Ages : 9
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Help getting the rite one Empty Re: Help getting the rite one

Post by asa-james Sat Sep 07 2013, 20:12

have you tried a local dogs home? i know mine sells them, and only uses them to walk their dogs. i'm personally not a fan of them. what leads have you used in the past that have broken? there are some users on here who will have powerful dogs, and have suitable leads - they may cost a bit more, but a slip lead can be escaped from, usually at the worst of times.
asa-james
asa-james
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 117

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Sep 07 2013, 20:12

I don't persoanlly like this style of lead but it looks like you could get them from Amazon, have you tried using a Canny Collar or Halti style devise with a wide collar:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=slip+dog+leads&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=34729403628&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14519805911936744310&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_3y99zaxger_b
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Sammy_1292 Sat Sep 07 2013, 21:55

Hi its mainly the clips that she has snapped that attaches on to her collar and she has snapped a chain lead and a standard rope lead.The problem is all leads that I have looked at just have the standerd clip on which are very easily broken.The slip lead that I am useing at the minute is also atached to her collar by a heavy duty clip so the lead is around her neck also with her collar then a clip going from her collar to the ring that is on the slip lead.If that makes sense so she could not get off of the lead.I have tryed looking on the internet for extra strong collars/leads with heavy duty clips but I can't find anywhere.By the way I don't mind paying more money as it would be worth it.So any help would be great.Thanks both of you I no everyone has there own appinions,I would have her on just a normal lead attached to her collar or harness if i could find one strong enough Thankyou
Sammy_1292
Sammy_1292

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog(s) Ages : 9
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 07 2013, 21:57

Can't help regarding the lead I'm afraid, as I have had two very strong Dobermanns and one very strong and bonkers Staffy, and haven't had a lead break yet (touch wood!) - they've all had nylon leads.

Regarding the clip, I have had problems! I have found that it just takes a shake of the head for my Staff to trigger the thumb release. I've now bought a carabiner, such as mountaineers use. I got the lightest one I could (from Amazon) but it's still heavier than I would like but so long as it's checked that's it's tightly done up every time I walk him - so far, so good!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 08 2013, 16:17

I use these leads for my 2 , the only problem I've had is if you stand for a while and the evil little ginger one decides to chew , but they are really strong , very good value and a very decent clip on the end

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360491585117?var=630056033886&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Ella 1 of our staff members uses them as well and 1 of her dogs is very powerful so for me they are definitely up to the job . You should really look into some training on not pulling though and if not successful then, as Kathy says consider a canny collar or similar , again I use a canny collar for certain scenarios with my boy as he is very awkward sometimes on the lead so started off as a training aid and really now only use it when there will be lots of other dogs around ( big sponsored staffy walk last week for example ) as he does not put up a fight at all when on it and much calmer around other dogs.

It really is about whatever works well for you at the end of the day Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 08 2013, 16:22

As Dave said i have those he recommended as i have an ambull who is alot stronger then a staffy and these leads are brilliant and are showing no signs of wear. He has in the pat broken multiple leads.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 08 2013, 16:25

ella wrote:As Dave said i have those he recommended as i have an ambull who is alot stronger then a staffy and these leads are brilliant and are showing no signs of wear. He has in the pat broken multiple leads.
But you don't have an evil ginger one like me Ella Laughing  Seriously though they are super comfy in the hand too , those rope ones tend to hurt after a while if you have a puller

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 08 2013, 16:28

haha no just a white devil Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 08 2013, 16:37

ella wrote:haha no just a white devil Laughing
Big Grin 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 08 2013, 16:52

I've got the same one as Dave recommends like Ella has got, it's great Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 08 2013, 21:38

im also using the same lead and they are great value and excellent quality Big Grin 

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazagem Sun Sep 08 2013, 21:48

I also use the police style lead when I had strong gsds and with both staffs now

At one point I had a collie x that was a puller and could manage to unclip the lead so a friend lent me a horse leading rope which in the end I went out and bought as he couldn't unclip it
Gazagem
Gazagem

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Skye
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 146

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 09 2013, 20:02

I have used a horse lead rope before it was great. I use a halti training lead at the moment. bounce 

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down