+2
Sazzle
Ben
6 posters

Go down

So fed up Empty So fed up

Post by Debs01 Thu Sep 05 2013, 15:06

Hey all

Sorry for the rant post, I seem to be doing it a lot lately but its the area I live in Sad I so badly want to move...

My OH took Axl out for a night walk last night it was about 11pm, anyway he wanted to take Axl for an extra walk as he was a little bit hyper, he'd been walked during the day so I'm not sure why but anyway off they went for what I thought was going to be a 40 min walk only to return 10 minutes later. My boyfriend had got as far as the end of our road and a staffy appeared out of nowhere with no owner, no collar or lead and tried to attack Axl. Luckily my OH managed to fend him off, he kept lunging and my OH had to kick him in the end to get him to go away - I hate violence to animals and so does he but he had no choice because if it'd got hold of Axl there would have been a fight. The only good thing is it didn't get to Axl and also Axl thought the dog was playing so he didn't react, phew! Axl seems to have a mental block when dogs attack, he always thinks they're playing until they bite him, he's been bitten twice now and he's still okay with other dogs so that's another good thing but yeah, fed up with coming across off lead dogs who are clearly aggressive angry 

I'm stuffed for places to walk Axl locally now. My OH has the car Saturday mornings for work so I usually take Axl around two local parks then we do the same route as my OH did last night but he's been attacked in both the parks now and on this route Sad So far we've managed to keep him safe but on my own i'm not so sure i'd be able to stop a dog getting to him.

I'm so sorry for another moany post I'm just so worried about walking him now I needed somewhere to vent...

Debs01
Debs01
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down

So fed up Empty Re: So fed up

Post by Guest Thu Sep 05 2013, 15:14

Rant all you like Deb, that must be so frustrating for you Vinnie is the same he thinks its play and has been attacked on several occasions by dogs off lead. Thankfully he hasn't reacted but I also fear if he did it wouldn't be very nice.
I know its difficult but it defo needs mentioning to the right sources as seriously no collar is so against the law.
I hope you can resume your walks very soon x

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Thu Sep 05 2013, 15:23

It seems to be the "done thing" where I live, I see dogs with no collar or lead all the time, its so wrong and it makes me so angry!
Debs01
Debs01

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Thu Sep 05 2013, 16:36

That sounds like a horrible situation! I'm sorry for you and Axl. Can the local wardens do anything or do they not care?
Ben
Ben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Thu Sep 05 2013, 16:43

I don't think they care much, there are plenty of police cars driving up and down and even a few police walking but nobody seems to be spoken to about it. I should be moving soon so its only for a little bit longer but it makes me angry especially because Staffies have such a bad name here anyway these people do nothing to help the situation its so frustrating. I can't wait to get Axl away from here he's such a sweetheart I'd hate for him to become dog aggressive because of these idiots!
Debs01
Debs01

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 05 2013, 16:45

I would contact the Dog Warden as a dog has to wear a collar with ID by law when outside. biggrin 

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Thu Sep 05 2013, 16:45

totally agree. I think one of the biggest downers to the bully breeds is owners who get them, don't look after them or care that they have a bad rap. Glad to hear you can move soon!
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 05 2013, 19:00

Chiara wrote:I would contact the Dog Warden as a dog has to wear a collar with ID by law when outside. biggrin 
I agree with Claire I'd contact the dog warden, I'm just lad your OH & axl weren't hurt Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Thu Sep 05 2013, 19:39

Glad everyone is OK So fed up 3198918699 Sounds like a nightmare, definitely worth reporting to the dog warden/council, it's worth a try?
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 05 2013, 19:56

why don't you try carrying a pet corrector spray ? I read all these posts and just count my blessings that the worst we come across are dogs off leads on walks and their owners giving it " he only wants to play "

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Sep 05 2013, 20:12

I really feel for you as I'm in a very similar situation to you with regard to living in a bad area and wanting to move.

Did you report the loose dog to the dog warden ?

If you live in a housing association property have you put in for a transfer or tried looking at homeswapper.co.uk or glassbob.com
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve.Sanders Thu Sep 05 2013, 20:20

why do people do it and how... i panic if koda goes outta site for a second how can you just leave a dog roam about and nasty ones at that don't they worry about where n what there doing.. a collar is a must so ring the warden and if you cant control your dog it shouldn't even be off a lead i like the sound of corrector spray... i might see if i can get shares in it with the irresponsibles round here
Steve.Sanders
Steve.Sanders
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Koda
Dog(s) Ages : 30/07/2012
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 33

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Fri Sep 06 2013, 09:23

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies, I spoke to my OH yesterday and I think I'm going to speak to the Dog Warden, I just worry that if they find out it was me they will make my life hell but hopefully they will never find out. Anyway, I can't let my fear get in the way something needs to be done before someone or another dog gets seriously hurt because you can bet your bottom dollar they wouldn't care if their dog killed another dog or even bit someone.

Thanks for the suggestion Dave, I will look into getting a dog corrector spray, but sorry for being a bit dim, what is it? Is it just a spray you can spray on a dog if it attacks or does it make a noise? I like the sound of that it would give me some security at least.

Kathy I know what you mean, its not a nice situation to be in but we do the best we can eh Smile My boyfriend just got a job lorry driving so he'll be earning more money so next year we can definitely move which will be great so not long now I hope you can move soon too So fed up 3198918699 

Sorry again for the miserable post I feel a lot better about things today though Big Grin I'm going to take Axl for our usual walk tomorrow morning and be extra vigilent, more so than usual. Gonna go early too to avoid bumping into idiots lol x
Debs01
Debs01

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Fri Sep 06 2013, 10:56

Here is a link to the pet corrector spray Dave mentioned, Pets At Home stock it:

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/pet-corrector-spray-50ml-by-the-company-of-animals-14415?freeText=pet+corrector+spray&msg=MSG_SEARCH_ONE_MATCHING_PRODUCT

This is what it looks like:

So fed up 19160

It's just compressed air which make a really loud noise when you spray it.

Last edited by Kathy on Fri Sep 06 2013, 11:01; edited 1 time in total
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Fri Sep 06 2013, 11:00

We are having a few issues with our upstairs neighbours at the moment because their dog attacked Rocky last week for which he needed veterinary treatment. They have a GSD which was off lead loose and out of control, I really hope it never gets hold of a small child, hope we are away from here by then.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Fri Sep 06 2013, 11:26

Thanks for the link Kathy. Sorry to hear about Rocky being attacked, I hope he's recovering well I will never understand how these idiots who have no control over their dogs get away with it for so long angry 
Debs01
Debs01

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down