Sazzle
janey
BIG SBT
brutusindubai
9 posters

Go down

Second Dog Empty Second Dog

Post by brutusindubai Tue Aug 20 2013, 17:57

Brutus is now 15 months and I'd like to get a second dog. Recently a rescue dog has become available that is stunning. She's a staff or pit cross, fixed and great temperament. Brutus still has his knackers. They think she may be between 7-8 months old. Would it be too soon for a second dog?

Cheers
brutusindubai
brutusindubai
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Brutus
Dog(s) Ages : 1 year, woo hoo
Dog Gender(s) : Dog
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Second Dog Empty Re: Second Dog

Post by BIG SBT Tue Aug 20 2013, 18:07

Should arrange a meet up firstly and let them meet eachother and go from there, i dont think its ever to early but thats my opinion. BUT youll need to get her spayed or him neutered so you dont have more pups ending up in shelters!
BIG SBT
BIG SBT
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Second Dog Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Boss
Dog(s) Ages : 9 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by brutusindubai Tue Aug 20 2013, 18:14

She is spayed. I wasn't keen on having our staff neutered but we can see how he behaves and if starts humping then he may get fixed. So is there no need for the unspoken 2 year rule that seems to be raised a bit?
brutusindubai
brutusindubai

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Brutus
Dog(s) Ages : 1 year, woo hoo
Dog Gender(s) : Dog
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Aug 20 2013, 18:28

Personally if you have the room/money/time for 2 dogs then whenevers good for me! I wish I could have another rescue Smile

As Luke said get them introduced on neutral ground and take it from there Smile

Good luck and let us know!
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Tue Aug 20 2013, 19:27

If you can arrange a meet up and all goes well, I see no reason not to, like Janey says as long as you have the resources for 2 dogs!!
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by uwoody Tue Aug 20 2013, 22:15

we rescued sophie 3 months ago, she is a collie x whippet about 18 months old. we felt she needed company so last week we adopted boris, another rezcue, staffie cross border terrier. However, we did try to rehome a dog before boris, we took her home and although they got on for a couple of hours, there was no connection between the two, so she went back. we had boris ovrrnight on a trial and they get on like a house on fire always playing.

The point i'm making is, give the dogs chance to mest one another first, even if its only for a couple of hours. They need to "click" just like we do. Id never had two dogs before, and it is harder work, but to see the happiness of these two playing, and learning new things is worth every moment of hardwork. If as said, youve got the resources and time, go for it! Just dont expect life to ever be the same again, lol.

appolgise for the typing, tablets are great for browsing on a nd crap for writing on,haha
woody
uwoody
uwoody
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Sophie (Collie X) and Boris (staffie x Border terrier)
Dog(s) Ages : 1 and a bit! and 3 years
Dog Gender(s) : Female (collie x) male (staffie cross)
Support total : 3

http://www.woodyspembs.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 20 2013, 22:23

Firstly and most importantly it depends on Brutus . Is he well balanced and behaved or giving you causes for concern................ sort your own house first before going to someone elses Smile This is mostly about what that 18 - 24 month age gap is recommended for , same as 1 boy 1 girl . I think this applies to 2nd dog being a pup more than anything as you haven't got the luxury of dogs to meet , you have to let them grow into each other . I played by the rules , nearly 2 year gap , opposite sexes and it has worked really well but that doesn't mean steering away from the rules won't work for you

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Tue Aug 20 2013, 22:56

I was the idiot that took on another pup just as the first was maturing. Hard work...yes...achievable...yes...recomended...no. but as your talking more mature dogs then I say yeah go for it. Its all about your input and control between them. Good advice already posted but just to add, your in for twice the work, twice the cost but ultimately twice the joy. Please do think about it though and that you have time and patients for it
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 20 2013, 23:02

Nathan wrote:I was the idiot that took on another pup just as the first was maturing. Hard work...yes...achievable...yes...recomended...no. but as your talking more mature dogs then I say yeah go for it. Its all about your input and control between them. Good advice already posted but just to add, your in for twice the work, twice the cost but ultimately twice the joy. Please do think about it though and that you have time and patients for it
I sat in the garden for 2 1/2 hours this afternoon with a guest so couldn't get away , and we watched and watched and watched the dogs exercise , play , exercise, play , hump , kill , hump , play , exercise, fuss great fun and yes double the costs but if you treat em right double the attention , double the love , double the cuddles and above all both of them are a pain in the a1rse but my pain in the a1rse and will be until the day I die

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Aug 20 2013, 23:16

We are already planning our second, We plan to get a boy pup when Roxy is 18 months, Roxy is well socialized and great with other dogs atm, We will continue to see how she gets on with others uo to the age of 18 months and if she is still good we will get a boy, Roxy will be done before we get another.
Jay
Jay

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Roxy
Dog(s) Ages : 29 Weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 54

Back to top Go down

Post by jo garnett Wed Aug 21 2013, 09:11

Dave wrote:
I sat in the garden for 2 1/2 hours this afternoon with a guest so couldn't get away , and we watched and watched and watched the dogs exercise , play , exercise,  play , hump , kill , hump , play , exercise, fuss  great fun and yes double the costs but if you treat em right  double the attention , double the love , double the cuddles and above all both of them are a pain in the a1rse but my pain in the a1rse and will be until the day I die
This is EXACTLY how I feel Dave! Fantastic isn't it?!
jo garnett
jo garnett

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Lola and Chloe
Dog(s) Ages : both 3 years
Dog Gender(s) : Both female
Support total : 86

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 21 2013, 13:08

Jay wrote:We are already planning our second, We plan to get a boy pup when Roxy is 18 months, Roxy is well socialized and great with other dogs atm, We will continue to see how she gets on with others uo to the age of 18 months and if she is still good we will get a boy, Roxy will be done before we get another.
Sounds like the perfect way to do it Jay , pretty much how we did with Tilly ( she was about 23 months when we brought Tommy home , neutered at about 18 months

Back to top Go down

Post by otisthestafford Wed Aug 21 2013, 13:49

Great advice already given. If you feel you have everything you need and provide another dog with a loving home then it's definitely worth consideration Smile I do hope Brutus gets on with your potential new addition, look forward to hearing how the meeting goes; if you go ahead.

One day I would love another, but I won't do it until I am in the right position and if Otis is ready. I have just had a year out from studying so I was able to give Otis a lot of time, so if I were to get another I would hope to be able to give the same dedication. But I personally won't be in that position for another 2-3 years.

Good luck Smile
otisthestafford
otisthestafford

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Otis
Dog(s) Ages : 22.09.2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 294