+3
Nathan
stella
barnibusmummy
7 posters

Go down

Star need help

Post by barnibusmummy Fri Aug 16 2013, 20:20

i live with my mum, and my mum got her friend and her kids come over, and they got they 2 dogs with them jack russels and they dogs keep barking! and we went out and come bk with a note, saying called today about norsey cats and dogs, frist i dont understand why they said cat, and secondly why they didnt leave any contact number or anything! but im worried in case the cancel comes around and says i have get rid of my dogs! when it havent been my dogs barking its been there and they not been controlling, i keep saying to mum they have to go home but she wont! what do other people think?xx
barnibusmummy
barnibusmummy
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : barnibus
Dog(s) Ages : 10months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Star Re: need help

Post by stella Fri Aug 16 2013, 20:34

do you know how long they will be staying for?hopefully its just a temporary arrangement and they will go home in a week or so,if thats the case could you phone the council and they them its only temporary?
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by barnibusmummy Fri Aug 16 2013, 20:34

ermm she going tuesday xx
barnibusmummy
barnibusmummy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Fri Aug 16 2013, 20:36

i'm sure it will be fine then may be suggest she takes them out for a long walk to tire them out Smile 
stella
stella

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Fri Aug 16 2013, 21:54

Its a long drawn out process for a noise abatement order and during the day its harder to enforce. Hopefully the visitors will be long gone before it gets to that stage.
But....as a dog owner you have to think about how noise effects neighbours. Get over the anger and think about if it would annoy you or not. Everyone has the right to enjoy there home but if its noise day and night id be * to. I cant tell enough from your post of the levels of noise but please remember as dog owners we have a responsibility to those around us too and unruly noise day and night wil quite rightly get you in trouble
Nathan
Nathan
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Fri Aug 16 2013, 23:18

I can't add much more to what has been said above, however I do wonder why you don't pass the note onto your mothers friend? Surely they would be more understanding (and willing to work on doing something) if they understood the situation Smile
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Chiquito and Sheba
Dog(s) Ages : 21/01/2013 and 13/05/2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 304

Back to top Go down

Post by barnibusmummy Sat Aug 17 2013, 12:10

no we showed them a note and they are not going home
and i keep talking to mum but she keeps saying no, so im taking my barnibus and we going to grandad who lives on a farm for a break
barnibusmummy
barnibusmummy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by CherryM Sat Aug 24 2013, 02:15

It's a good idea to get away from all the ruckus so when people come calling they know your dog is not to blame, however it could also mean that when your dog gets back there are stricter rules on keeping pets in your house due to the raised concerns and this will not benefit you and Barney (I bet you call it that...'s such a cute name~!).

Like Stella said, advice your mom to take them on long walks and not just leave them in the back yard or just go around the neighbourhood and back...but chances are (as with all high energy dogs) she gets puckered out before they do and nothing changes.

When my dogs get noisy I walk over to them and invade their space (I'll sometimes stand over them or back them into a corner) and let them know I mean business until they slowly go into a "lie down" position. It's always better when they decide to shut up themselves instead of you yelling or kicking them out of the house, etc. Always works & I find that distracting them does not because they will sometimes drop all else and go into a frenzy if there's a dog on tv...haha

Maybe you could also try a muzzle...but I don't like those and neither do the dogs...I rarely ever use them and though it may stop them barking they can still manouevre their mouths into making whining, howling noises....just as terrible if not more so ('coz then the neighbours think you're experimenting horribly on them or some other such inhumane act).

CherryM
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Sat Aug 24 2013, 08:15

CherryM wrote:When my dogs get noisy I walk over to them and invade their space (I'll sometimes stand over them or back them into a corner) and let them know I mean business until they slowly go into a "lie down" position. It's always better when they decide to shut up themselves instead of you yelling or kicking them out of the house, etc. Always works & I find that distracting them does not because they will sometimes drop all else and go into a frenzy if there's a dog on tv...haha

Maybe you could also try a muzzle...but I don't like those and neither do the dogs...I rarely ever use them and though it may stop them barking they can still manouevre their mouths into making whining, howling noises....just as terrible if not more so ('coz then the neighbours think you're experimenting horribly on them or some other such inhumane act).
As the world of dog ownership and training has changed from the 'alpha theory' world of old, we have realised that making a dog behave through making them fearful is not acceptable nor conducive to positive behaviour over time. There are far more appropriate responses to be found through the use of positive reinforcements techniques which you will find is what we support and promote here on the forum.
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 24 2013, 08:22

I can only agree with Kell's comments , I treat my dogs the same way I treat my kids ( as they are my family Love Struck ) and hope I get the behaviour results through reward , respect and excouragement , not because they are afraid of what will happen if they don't play ball.
I agree 100% there should be Boundaries / Limits but these do not have to be set through fear

Back to top Go down

Post by kelpie Sat Aug 24 2013, 08:40

Hi, barking dogs drive you insane sometimes, they're stressed, you are stressed... you feel like you are banging your head against a wall Sad Like the others have said, get them out and walked, a couple of good long walks will tire them out. If they are up at windows barking or hearing the passing street traffic, move them to the back of the house away from the trigger points. Keep a radio/tv on low to disguise sudden noises which may encourage them. If they like toys, play with them or stuff some kongs and supervise them (don't want them to fight over them). Chances are if they didn't leave a contact number or the name of an organization it's a neighbour showing their displeasure at the barking too. Fingers crossed they calm down and I think Barnibus looks gorgeous Big Grin 
kelpie
kelpie
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
need help Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rolo
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 years old
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Sat Aug 24 2013, 08:58

kelpie wrote:Hi, barking dogs drive you insane sometimes, they're stressed, you are stressed... you feel like you are banging your head against a wall Sad Like the others have said, get them out and walked, a couple of good long walks will tire them out.  If they are up at windows barking or hearing the passing street traffic, move them to the back of the house away from the trigger points.  Keep a radio/tv on low to disguise sudden noises which may encourage them.  If they like toys, play with them or stuff some kongs 
All great positive responses Claire.

Removing what is stimulating the behaviour (either by taking away the stimulus or blocking/removing the dog from it) is a great way to respond to any behaviour we want to change or stop Smile
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by CherryM Sun Aug 25 2013, 04:24

Just would like to point out (if there has been a misunderstanding to my comment made earlier) that standing in front of the dog does not necessarily mean you are invoking fear and it's better than what I've seen others do (which is to yell or put them outside the house, when I said "kick them out of the house" I did not mean to literally kick them out, I obviously would not have tolerated this had I been a witness).

I make sure that they are not trapped or feel trapped ("backing them into a corner" was metaphorically speaking as I just simply walk him back to his bed which is against a wall and the area surrounding his bed is "his space"). I'm always careful to read their body language, you can always tell if a dog is uncomfortable or fearful, in fact they tell you (or show you rather). I'm basically "blocking" them as you mentioned, from the tv, or the window...or my plate of food. If you grab and hold their attention in that manner they are less likely to get excited, aren't they? The response I get is a sit-or-lie-down position with tail still wagging and breathing steady, a much better state from the previous frantic wagging and heavy panting & after a vigorous exercise I really don't want them to be exhibiting behaviours which seem to tire them out all the more...

CherryM

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Aug 25 2013, 15:01

barnibusmummy wrote:no we showed them a note and they are not going home
and i keep talking to mum but she keeps saying no, so im taking my barnibus and we going to grandad who lives on a farm for a break

This sounds like a great idea, hope you manage to get some peace and quiet for yourself.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 25 2013, 17:42

CherryM wrote:
This is most definitely not a good idea! In order for a muzzle to stop a dog barking it would have to be a close fitting one that will not allow the dog to pant or to drink. If you're leaving the dog alone, this could be disastrous!

The only muzzle I would ever recommend is a basket (baskerville) type, which would make no difference to barking at all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 25 2013, 18:24

Caryll wrote:
CherryM wrote:
This is most definitely not a good idea! In order for a muzzle to stop a dog barking it would have to be a close fitting one that will not allow the dog to pant or to drink. If you're leaving the dog alone, this could be disastrous!

The only muzzle I would ever recommend is a basket (baskerville) type, which would make no difference to barking at all.
I wouldn't advise on leaving a dog unsupervised with a muzzle on even a baskerville. Leaving a dog with the mikki type muzzle on would be inhumane.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 26 2013, 20:15

Chiara wrote:
Caryll wrote:
CherryM wrote:

I wouldn't advise on leaving a dog unsupervised with a muzzle on even a baskerville. Leaving a dog with the mikki type muzzle on would be inhumane.
True!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum