New Puppy & Sash

3 posters

Go down

New Puppy & Sash Empty New Puppy & Sash

Post by Steph&Sash Thu Jul 04 2013, 16:26

Hi All,

Its been a while since i last posted on here but i hope you could offer some wise advice or reassurance.
We would of had Sasha 2 years in October and she has always been very laid back, sweet and calm.. NEVER aggressive. Anyways, on Friday we got a new puppy (Molly), we bought her from the same breeder as Sasha but ever since we brought her home, Molly and Sasha seemed to get on OK but as they were playing Molly has started growling viciously and nipping Sasha on her face. Now i contacted the breeder about this cause it didnt seem right, she said that Molly was the alpha of the litter cause she was big and shes trying to domanate Sasha and that i should leave them to it and when Molly started growling/barking i should pinch her (like a bite from a dog - but not so it hurts her) and she would spot. I also read on a puppy training website that this could work. I've tried this for nearly a week but she is still playing aggressively. Sasha is already submissive to us and she isnt growling or biting back. Sasha isn't yelping or even hurt and when they are doing this both their tails are wagging and they chase on another round the house.
Sasha gets alot of exercise and when they are both tired they sleep together.

Has anyone experienced this before when they've introduced a new puppy to their home? Im looking for any advice on how to deal with this, getting rid of Molly is not on the cards. I bought her, shes mine.. FOR LIFE!
Steph&Sash
Steph&Sash
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 1 Year
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

New Puppy & Sash Empty Re: New Puppy & Sash

Post by Kathy Fri Jul 05 2013, 09:26

Sorry I have never had 2 dogs together, I'm sure someone will be along who can help you
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by rico24 Fri Jul 05 2013, 10:20

Hi. From experience of friends with 2 dogs they have said they found that too but once the little one is a bit older it will start to give as good as it gets. My puppy is very submissive to my sisters spaniel but she also gives him a good run for his money. He gives my pup a good nip wen she is too much. Might just be a shock to your older one but it should settle. Good luck
rico24
rico24
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Puppy & Sash Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 05 2013, 11:00

Pinch her?? PINCH her?

Good grief! That'll teach her nothing!

If Sasha gets fed up with the rough play she'll tell Molly in no uncertain terms. In the meantime, if you feel that Sasha needs a rest, or if you just feel that the play is getting too boisterous, then by all means step in with a firm "Enough" or "That's all" (or whatever you want to use) and take Molly away to calm down.

Staffords play rough!

Back to top Go down

Post by Steph&Sash Fri Jul 05 2013, 14:04

Caryll wrote:Pinch her?? PINCH her?

Good grief! That'll teach her nothing!

If Sasha gets fed up with the rough play she'll tell Molly in no uncertain terms. In the meantime, if you feel that Sasha needs a rest, or if you just feel that the play is getting too boisterous, then by all means step in with a firm "Enough" or "That's all" (or whatever you want to use) and take Molly away to calm down.

Staffords play rough!

Thanks Caryll.
It did seem like a useless thing to do when she told me but I tried it, not so it hurt Molly but to do it along with 'No'.

She's been here a week and I think iv got to get used to them both still being puppies and playing rough! Please don't judge as I was asking for advice. They get along brilliantly, better then expected to be honest but I just felt like it wasn't normal because I wasn't used to having two dogs.
Steph&Sash
Steph&Sash

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 1 Year
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down