Staffies - breaking down human barriers!

+5
julespercules
Nathan
stella
Annie and Maxi
Drifter McFluff
9 posters

Go down

Staffies - breaking down human barriers! Empty Staffies - breaking down human barriers!

Post by Drifter McFluff Wed Jun 19 2013, 14:37

I'm a quiet, book mad computer nerd who's fairly shy around new people, so having a dog has been good for me because he helps me to talk to people out on walkies. Usually I would just look at the ground and scurry past!

It's funny who stops to talk to us, too. The people I'm used to communicating with, ones like me who I went to school with or worked with, will sometimes instinctively pull their dogs away from Charlie because they think "Staffy = Danger!" When I say he's friendly with dogs they will nervously let their dog near then smile, but quite quickly carry on walking.

However, the (I'm trying to say this without offending!) "geezer" type blokes who, as a lone woman, I wouldn't have said hello to and who wouldn't have said hello to me either, will stop for a Charlie-cuddle and tell me how lovely he is!

It's good how my dog is helping me to meet new kinds of people, nice people. Dogs don't have the prejudice of us people.. redface
Drifter McFluff
Drifter McFluff
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Charlie (Staffy X JR)
Dog(s) Ages : Born 30 July 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Neutered Male
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Staffies - breaking down human barriers! Empty Re: Staffies - breaking down human barriers!

Post by Annie and Maxi Wed Jun 19 2013, 14:48

I have to agree, the people who stop and give max a cuddle are mainly the kind of people I would normally not approach (and they would prob. not approach me either). I like it! Smile
Annie and Maxi
Annie and Maxi
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Staffies - breaking down human barriers! Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Maxi
Dog(s) Ages : 8
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 44

Back to top Go down

Staffies - breaking down human barriers! Empty Re: Staffies - breaking down human barriers!

Post by Drifter McFluff Wed Jun 19 2013, 15:24

I should take advice from Charlie - "A cuddle is a cuddle, whoever it comes from!" Big Grin
Drifter McFluff
Drifter McFluff

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Charlie (Staffy X JR)
Dog(s) Ages : Born 30 July 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Neutered Male
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 19 2013, 15:26

Yeah they do help to break down barriers and get us talking to all kinds of different people Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Wed Jun 19 2013, 18:38

glad charlie is helping you to talk to people,we could talk about our dogs and what they get up to all day Big Grin
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Wed Jun 19 2013, 21:54

can understand this so much, and can relate from the other side of the coin. because of the dogs all the people that would normally have avoided even giving eye contact now speak with me. I'm not much of a people person either but my friend count has more than doubled because of the dogs.
It's nice to be chatting to an elderly couple about dogs and then turn the corner and have a couple of drunk but nice lads cooing over them.
they are a real ice breaker and bring people of all sorts of backgrounds together because of the common bond which is dogs.
on our park walk we have a variety of people who would normaly mix like oil and water, police officers, council workers, those of questionable work ethics etc etc but the common bond we share of dogs somehow brings us all together on this neutral ground. it feels a bit like a masonic lodge sometimes where nothing we do is taboo to any other member but if it was outside the dog circle it would be frowned up lol
Nathan
Nathan
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by julespercules Wed Jun 19 2013, 23:15

I find its the people I expect to be wary of staffies that shock me with their love of them, older people especially
julespercules
julespercules
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Staffies - breaking down human barriers! Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : tash
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 20 2013, 09:36

That's lovely they do bring us so much help in many different ways. Great to hear Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 20 2013, 09:41

Having a dog definitely gives you more confidence Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 20 2013, 10:25

Im the same with my pony! I have went to random places on my own and talked to strangers which is unlike me lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Thu Jun 20 2013, 10:55

I would definitely agree with this. about 3 years ago I got a staff x lab for my friend Henry. Henry has aspergers syndrome and has always found it very difficult to talk to people. Before getting Neo he wouldn't leave his house for days, now he has a group of people he meets to dog-walk with every day, goes to training classes and has a reason to get up in the morning. It the best thing any of us ever did for him and I'm so happy that Neo got a new start and Henry got a confidence boost!
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Jun 20 2013, 11:32

Me and hubby have made many new friends because of having Rocky with out with us, people we most probably would not have met otherwise. We now have a new circle of doggy friends we see twice a day at least.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria90 Thu Jun 20 2013, 11:33

They are definitely great to get a conversation started Smile Breaks the ice to talk to strangers out in public Smile Glad to hear Charlie is helping you out!
Maria90
Maria90

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months (09.01.2013)
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 453

Back to top Go down

Post by Sookie Fri Jun 21 2013, 09:51

For sure having a dog is a good way to meet new people and also breaks down the media stereo typical image of staffies to the general public. I'm lucky as round my way there is a good regular group of owners I meet so its helped me to get to know the community since I moved in last year.

Sookie
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sookie
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down