Set back or One off?

5 posters

Go down

Set back or One off? Empty Set back or One off?

Post by Maria90 Mon Jun 17 2013, 10:18

Today I took Rocky for our normal walk, roughly half an hour, on his lead, I couldn't believe what was happening.

We had the walking down pat, walked right by my side, no pulling, got pretty excited when he saw another person, but controlled by a firm stay and he would hold back from going crazy. But today was a different side of Rocky, he was biting the lead as we walked, during the walk and for most of it he was pulling so hard that he jolted me forward every few seconds, and no amount of firm 'no' 'stay' 'yuck' or 'leave' could deter or stop him. I was so shocked and confused in myself, wondering what am I doing wrong? Is this just an off day, or is this something I need to work twice as hard on? He just wouldn't listen at all today, and then when we finally got home, he wanted to keep walking, didn't want to go in the street or the house!!!

So confused Sad Progress down the drain!
Maria90
Maria90
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months (09.01.2013)
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 453

Back to top Go down

Set back or One off? Empty Re: Set back or One off?

Post by janey Mon Jun 17 2013, 10:28

They do get to a point where they start to push boundries, just keep doing what you are doing and stick with the training and you'll both be fine Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Jun 17 2013, 11:24

Agree with Janey above, keep at it and things will improve. Maybe he needs a longer walk or some other form of exercise/playtime to burn off the energy.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by BIG SBT Mon Jun 17 2013, 12:28

Boss is now 6 1/2 months and is improving on and off lead.. still gets excited when people pass but once he relises they arnt going to pet him he loses interest lol. when we go to a busy place like the beach he is awful off lead.. just runs and plays with every dog he see's which im working on.. is there any tips on how to get him to listen when there are distractions around? when there are no dogs he is amazing off lead does everything i ask Smile
BIG SBT
BIG SBT
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Set back or One off? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Boss
Dog(s) Ages : 9 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria90 Mon Jun 17 2013, 12:44

Thanks Janey will definitely keep at it Smile

Kathy, will definitely try taking him on a longer walk tomorrow, see how it goes and will update Smile He also gets lots of play time, roughly 40 minutes loads of ball fun and ropes, new Frisbee, and plenty of time spent with us to relax. Im still getting him used to off-leash time at the park, there are always loads of people around every park ive taken him to, so trying to find one that is not as busy to start him off.

Luke, its great to see improvements, its so cute how excited they get when they see other people but lose the interest very quickly haha. I read in another post to try a squeaky toy to get the attention back to you, I might give that a try! Hope all goes well Smile
Maria90
Maria90

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months (09.01.2013)
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 453

Back to top Go down

Post by BIG SBT Mon Jun 17 2013, 12:48

im the same, struggle to find a place which isnt too busy to try train him a bit, sounds silly but sometimes i go to the beach in the rain knowing nobody will be there :p. its a long boring process training, but keep it up and both our dogs should be great Smile hope everything goes to plan for you Smile
BIG SBT
BIG SBT
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Set back or One off? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Boss
Dog(s) Ages : 9 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 17 2013, 12:53

I think it's just a blip, he's probably being a teenager, just stick with it and he'll realise Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by CaraElizabeth Mon Jun 17 2013, 13:10

Sounds to me like Rocky is starting to become a naughty teenager! At 6 months Gwen really went backwards and became so stubborn! Everything we had worked so hard on kind of went out the window! They all go through it, it sounds like you are doing great! Rocky is just trying to push the boundaries and see what he can get away with! You just need to continue with his training and be very consistent! Also make sure he gets lots of exercise! At 5 months he should get two or three 25 minute walks on lead and then an additional hour or so off lead when he is free to rest whenever he needs it. I find the off lead time when Gwen can run around is what tires her out the most!
CaraElizabeth
CaraElizabeth

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gwen
Dog(s) Ages : 12/22/2012
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 145

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down