Question: Chicken Raw Meaty Bone for cleaning teeth?

3 posters

Go down

Question: Chicken Raw Meaty Bone for cleaning teeth? Empty Question: Chicken Raw Meaty Bone for cleaning teeth?

Post by SimplyComplex Mon Jun 17 2013, 03:23

Heya, i've been reading alot about the raw diets lately and really tempted to take the plunge when i have sorted out space to hold bulk buys and got organized with what i'd need - so much great info so far! But for the time being, what i'm interested in is getting my lil guy used to the odd bit of raw meat and bones. Basically just giving something new like a treat to see his reaction. Seeing what he might like and what he might not etc. What i'd really like to achieve during the 'testing' period is to see an improvement in his teeth, i'd love to see them get a bit cleaner during it. Can his teeth get cleaner by a decent amount just by the occasional meaty bone while he's not on fulltime raw? My areas butchers don't have a great selection of different animal parts for this, so if i started a permanent raw diet i'd be getting bulk buys from online. So for now as chicken would be the first type to try and one of the easiest types to come across at the moment, i was wondering what are the best chicken parts to give for cleaning teeth incase i can't get hold of many other animal types until i bulk buy? Thanks for any help Smile
SimplyComplex
SimplyComplex
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Taz
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Question: Chicken Raw Meaty Bone for cleaning teeth? Empty Re: Question: Chicken Raw Meaty Bone for cleaning teeth?

Post by Guest Mon Jun 17 2013, 06:09

yes regular eating of raw bones will help improve his teeth

If he's never had any before i'd recommend chicken wings, chicken carcasses, legs/thighs things like that, but i would hold one end for him to encourage him to crunch it properly to begin with Smile

Back to top Go down

Question: Chicken Raw Meaty Bone for cleaning teeth? Empty Re: Question: Chicken Raw Meaty Bone for cleaning teeth?

Post by Annie and Maxi Mon Jun 17 2013, 09:51

You don't really have to wait with changing, just change it now to all raw. In the beginning you don't wanna have too much variety anyway, so feed different parts of chicken, then maybe try some pork or beef, liver etc, things you can find at the supermarket. Introduce them one by one for at least a week each.
Buying in bulk online is great once you have introduced a wide variety of meats but for now you will do perfectly fine with what you find at the supermarket for the first few months!
Annie and Maxi
Annie and Maxi
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Question: Chicken Raw Meaty Bone for cleaning teeth? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Maxi
Dog(s) Ages : 8
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 44

Back to top Go down

Post by SimplyComplex Tue Jun 18 2013, 04:24

Thanks Ella, i will get hold of some of them tomorrow! He does tend to be a bad chewer so i'll probably freeze them first and will definately be keeping a firm grip on anything Laughing

Thanks Annie, i guess i was using this 'testing' as a way of dipping my feet in the water while i'm still finalizing the idea and finding a freezer etc, but it's good to know that technically i could just start anytime really in smaller supermarket batches Smile

I'll most likely be getting bulk buys from DAF foods when i'm all set and he's used to some variety, but there's so much choice on the website i just think 'argh' Surprised I've read just about every page of information i can find, but i'm still confused when it comes to putting meals together (including supplements) and the kind of things to order. I know that alot just feed random meals so they can't necessarily pinpoint what to give, but for someone starting out like me, is there anyone who could give me an idea of a more pre-planned weekly meal plan and how much food that would equate to from DAF so that i have a good place to start? Taz is between 22kg-25kg (staffy cross), but i don't know what i should get from DAF or how long things will last.. that's really the last thing that's holding me back now so any help would be so much appreciated!
SimplyComplex
SimplyComplex

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by SimplyComplex Thu Jun 20 2013, 08:33

Anyone? Sorry i just don't know what kinda order to make for my first haul to last his first few months =/

He had a couple of chicken wings last night, they went down great =) he was kinda slow figuring them out but got the hang of it by the end! No adverse reactions so really positive
SimplyComplex
SimplyComplex

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 20 2013, 08:46

I'm sure one of our raw feeders will be along shortly to help you out Smile great news he's taken to the chicken Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 20 2013, 12:26

Well you need to with just chicken and nothing else for at least a week and then start adding in a new neat every one to two weeks, so like this

Week 1 - chicken
2 - add tripe
3 - add turkey
4 - add lamb
5 - add pork
6 - add fish
7 - add beef
8 - start adding offal at tiny amounts

That's a good starting point as you can see the meats get richer which is why you add them slowly. As for an order I'd go for a few different chicken products some with bone some boneless, and some tripe etc for future weeks

Back to top Go down

Post by SimplyComplex Sun Jun 23 2013, 10:29

Thankyou Darcy =) he's really tucking into chicken! I was surprised how fast he took to it

Thanks it's great to know what order to introduce everything in!
Ella i read that you also use DAF for your bulks? If i was going to get an order from them and had to spend the minimimum £50, what should i get =/ what is a 22kg-25kg dog going to need per day/week *roughly*.. and how long will it last?  I've been looking through that site for a week now and i'm just as stumped as i was at the beginning =/ sorry
SimplyComplex
SimplyComplex

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by TizersDad Mon Jul 01 2013, 08:11

You might want to check out my post about bulk buys.. There is some great info in there about the same kind of things you were asking about! (I feel your pain with the brain hurt, lol)

TizersDad

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down