Wildlife

+2
janey
Gaz
6 posters

Go down

Wildlife Empty Wildlife

Post by Guest Sat Jun 15 2013, 12:16

So, over the past week, Milton's developed an interest in the local wildlife. So far, he's been after a blackbird (caught it in his mouth and let it go, it was fine and flew away), a frog (poked it with his paw, it jumped, he barked and looked puzzled), a badger (jumped on it from behind and played with it as if it was another dog), a mouse (pounced on it like a cat but it ran away) and finally this morning, a crow with a broken wing (headbutted it out of his way and then looked at it with his head tilted as it flapped around).
He hasn't attacked any of it to kill, he's just playing with them - thinks they're toys or something but the look on his face when they move of their own accord (unlike his toys) is priceless Laughing I'm going to have to video every walk I think, it happens too quick to get the camera out.
Anyone else have a dog that belongs on Springwatch?

Back to top Go down

Wildlife Empty Re: Wildlife

Post by Gaz Sat Jun 15 2013, 12:28

as i was reading this i imagined a wildlife program with your pup as the presenter,,,,hmmmm here we have a small rubber toy that bounces when you touch it,,,,and now weve found a rare breed of dog ''the zebra dog that lives underground'',,,,,and what do we have here,,a chicken that flys,,,,,,if i keep prodding we will see it lift off.

sorry but iam kinda bored and this sounds like a good program to watch,haha

peace out pal
Gaz
Gaz
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Jun 15 2013, 12:41

Laughing sadly Moo doesn't want to play with them, she just kills them!
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 15 2013, 12:46

Darcy has just started to show an interest in the birdies Laughing at least all he wants yo do is play Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 15 2013, 12:50

Laughing I did think the badger was going to get messed up, but he let it go when it didn't squeak like his toy fox does.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Sat Jun 15 2013, 13:34

Aw bless him, we came across a toad the other week, told daisy to leave and she did!
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria90 Sat Jun 15 2013, 15:40

I don't have this problem with Rocky, but Mum's maltese x Pomeranian likes to go for birds for fun, and only the birds! But as you said, he never tries to kill them, just likes to think they are free range toys to play with whenever they want haha
Maria90
Maria90

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months (09.01.2013)
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 453

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 15 2013, 18:28

Typical terrier - obsessed with anything moving! Laughing Bless him!

Chris SW wrote:Laughing I did think the badger was going to get messed up, but he let it go when it didn't squeak like his toy fox does.

I'd be more concerned about the dog than the badger. Laughing Laughing Those badgers know how to take care of themselves! Big teeth and sharp claws!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 15 2013, 18:45

Aww Milton you will have to get him a pair of binoculars !Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 15 2013, 18:55

Lola likes to chase birds and frogs:lol:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 15 2013, 18:57

I was going to say the same as Eleanor , as tough as our dogs can be , not much of a match for a badger

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Jun 15 2013, 19:00

Ooooooo yeah badgers can be viscous litlle buggers and rip anything to bits they can get hold of.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 15 2013, 19:36

Yeah, I did think he might be in trouble if it turned around and went for him, but I think because he approached it from behind, he startled it and it just legged it. I gave him a thorough check over afterwards though, just to be sure it hadn't caught him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 15 2013, 19:37

Badgers generally will prefer to run. :)They only usually fight if they're cornered, if there are young around or if it's mating season.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaz Sat Jun 15 2013, 21:02

over 100 years ago badgers were chained in corners usually round the back of butcher shops,,,,our breed of choice or what was called bull and terrier breeds were baited against them until the the badger was brown bread,,,,,,sometimes taking more than a few dogs

horrible history but history all the same,,,badger baiting
Gaz
Gaz

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Sat Jun 15 2013, 21:56

unfortunatly wildlife and marley dont mix well Rolling Eyes RIP a fully grown fox and a squirrel the lil sod. nearly got a mole on thursaday evening as well but I was just quick enough to click his flexi and stop him about a foot away. have never seen a mole IRL before so would have been a shame for it to be chomped up before my eye's...that boy has issues.
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 16 2013, 09:51

I've seen the results of a dog that cornered a badger. Not nice.Sad

Gaz wrote:over 100 years ago badgers were chained in corners usually round the back of butcher shops,,,,our breed of choice or what was called bull and terrier breeds were baited against them until the the badger was brown bread,,,,,,sometimes taking more than a few dogs

Yes, but that was over a hundred years ago & those dogs were very different to the staffords of today. A badger baiter's dog of choice nowadays is generally a bull breed x terrier or hound.

Disgusting thing to do, though, & quite rightly illegal!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 16 2013, 11:22

I just want to make it absolutely clear, to avoid any confusion, that I hadn't seen the badger before he jumped on it, it was in some very long grass (and it was the middle of the day so I was very surprised it was out). The whole thing lasted no more than a couple of seconds and as soon as I realised what was happening, I called Milton back and put his lead on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaz Sun Jun 16 2013, 11:40

Caryll wrote:I've seen the results of a dog that cornered a badger. Not nice.Sad

Gaz wrote:over 100 years ago badgers were chained in corners usually round the back of butcher shops,,,,our breed of choice or what was called bull and terrier breeds were baited against them until the the badger was brown bread,,,,,,sometimes taking more than a few dogs

Yes, but that was over a hundred years ago & those dogs were very different to the staffords of today. A badger baiter's dog of choice nowadays is generally a bull breed x terrier or hound.

Disgusting thing to do, though, & quite rightly illegal!

i would hate to think this goes on today,your right in saying its disgusting but most stafford books i own start off with pictures showing this kind of history,,seeing as we would of had stafford type bull and terrier dogs before the 1930s

i enjoy the history part of it but the reality is another story,so all in all keep your pooch away from badgers!!!! haha
Gaz
Gaz

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down