Anyone know what this is?

3 posters

Go down

Anyone know what this is? Empty Anyone know what this is?

Post by claire Tue Mar 29 2011, 13:46

Winnie is now 17 weeks and she is an absolute treasure. However recently whilst going out on walks in the woods(off leash) we have noticed that she will suddenly jump right in front of us blocking us and starts biting our trousers and feet and looking all wild and frantic! When we try to stop her by saying "no" really firmly or pushing her away it just makes her worse. Its literally impossible to walk. At first it happened as her walk was ending so we just assumed it was because she didn't want to leave but now she does it randomly in the middle of a walk. She also does it to me sometimes when we're in the garden and I'm walking back inside, I suppose to block me from going in. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, do you have any hints on how to deal with it.

claire
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Anyone know what this is? Empty Re: Anyone know what this is?

Post by Guest Tue Mar 29 2011, 14:18

Is there anything frightening her when she does this? Is she trying to protect you?

I wouldn't push her away that will only excite her more. The "no" is fine, and then turn away from her. Don't make any eye contact and don't touch her at all. If she carries on, repeat until she stops. That way she will know that she gets no attention when she does it.

Back to top Go down

Post by claire Tue Mar 29 2011, 14:26

No, there is nothing frightening her. If anything, she looks very excited. Problem is its impossible to walk when she does this so should I just turn away and stand still or is that giving her what she wants?

claire

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Tue Mar 29 2011, 14:33

Think she wants you to play and is just hanging off your trouser leg how she would another dog's neck. Shes just being a hyper puppy but as you said how are you supposed to walk with 10kilos of staff stuck to your leg! Also you need to try and nip this in the bid as children and non-doggy people will probably freak out if she does this to them. As Caryll said when she does it turn away from her, say no in a firm voice and stop looking at her. You might have to do it a couple of times until she gets the idea! When she does stop drop to your knees or bend down and praise her. If she gets to excited during the praise then stop again and stand up, ignoring her. She will get it eventually.

I think she has been doing it in the garden too as she wants u to stay and play and not go back inside the boring house!
Nosipho
Nosipho
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by claire Tue Mar 29 2011, 14:35

thats what I think. Thanks. I will try the turning away and ignoring and brace myself for when she attacks my heels instead!

claire

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by claire Tue Mar 29 2011, 14:36

I do know what does work though, but I feel a bit silly taking it out on a walk and that is a tin with some old batteries in. When I shake it she always stops immediately!

claire

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Mar 29 2011, 15:01

claire wrote:I do know what does work though, but I feel a bit silly taking it out on a walk and that is a tin with some old batteries in. When I shake it she always stops immediately!

If it works then take it and don't feel silly about it!!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 29 2011, 15:49

Nosipho wrote:I think she has been doing it in the garden too as she wants u to stay and play and not go back inside the boring house!

I'd agree with this, she likes the play outside & wants to carry on.

janey wrote:
claire wrote:I do know what does work though, but I feel a bit silly taking it out on a walk and that is a tin with some old batteries in. When I shake it she always stops immediately!

If it works then take it and don't feel silly about it!!

Absolutely!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum